BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 2h, 32m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 5023MB of 11999MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Award BIOS System Configuration screen - entire table        Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WinXP SP2 x64
When you start PC with Award BIOS on the screen you can see the system configuration and the list of PCI devices. You can press the Pause key to stop the boot process and review the information on the screen. Depending on the number of PCI devices showing a greater or lesser part of the table. Unfortunately, it is difficult to press at the moment so you can see the entire table configuration.
To see more you can remove all PCI cards and disable PCI devices in CMOS Setup (e.g. USB controller) but you can do it in another way - by The Google Serial Graphics Adapter BIOS (SGABIOS).
Quote:
SGABIOS is designed to be inserted into a BIOS as an option rom to provide over a serial port the display and input capabilities normally handled by a VGA adapter and a keyboard, and additionally provide hooks for logging displayed characters for later collection after an operating system boots. It is designed to handle all text mode output sent to the legacy video bios int 10h service routine. Int 10h is the most common method for displaying characters in 16-bit legacy x86 code.
SGABIOS can deploy it in addition to the primary VGA BIOS or by itself. Default settings for SGABIOS is for COM1 baud rate 115200. To see all System Configuration table you need:
  • Using CBROM add SGABIOS as ISA Option ROM and flash new bios:
    Code:
    cbrom bios.bin /isa sgabios.bin
  • Connect another PC with nullmodem serial cable to port COM1
  • Run Putty terminal on COM1 115200
  • Power on PC
  • In the terminal window you should see the entire table
In addition, in terminal can enable logging to capture all text data to file:
P.S. SGABIOS works even in MS-DOS (best to MS-DOS 6.22) until you turn on VESA graphics mode :-)
I tried also insert SGABIOS as VGA Option ROM and remove graphic card. Now you can see POST screen but you can not see next screens :-(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Award BIOS System Configuration screen - entire table        Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:15 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 7601
This is pretty cool, but why would you go through all the trouble of flashing your BIOS just to see a list of PCI devices, when you can just run "lspci -v" on any Linux LiveCD and get a much nicer-looking and more detailed list? (like this sample)
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 122d
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
   Capabilities: <access denied>

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
   Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
   I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
   Memory behind bridge: f6000000-f70fffff
   Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000e0000000-00000000f1ffffff
   Kernel driver in use: pcieport
   Kernel modules: shpchp

[snip]

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 200f
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
   I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
   Memory at f7800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
   Memory at f2100000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
   Kernel driver in use: r8169
   Kernel modules: r8169

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Award BIOS System Configuration screen - entire table        Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Cool! Some BIOSes already have that built-in (mine has, although I have never used it), didn't know that it was so easy to add :)

BTW if all you need is the list of PCI devices installed, there are DOS and Windows programs which show you exactly that (e.g. here or here)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Award BIOS System Configuration screen - entire table        Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WinXP SP2 x64
mudkip908 wrote:
This is pretty cool, but why would you go through all the trouble of flashing your BIOS just to see a list of PCI devices, when you can just run "lspci -v" on any Linux LiveCD and get a much nicer-looking and more detailed list?
It is obvious that PCI devices possible check in other way - also in MS-DOS and Windows (AIDA, Everest etc.). Tutorial shows how view entire Award System Configurations table.
If you have a motherboard with BIOS Award, please try to take a picture e.g. with digital camera, of the whole table without removing any the PCI card :P ;) Good luck :-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Award BIOS System Configuration screen - entire table        Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Development Release #5
Rape the pause/break button? Worked for me before.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Award BIOS System Configuration screen - entire table        Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Yeah, well, there's nothing in there that you can't see in MSD.EXE for DOS or device manager for Windows. So while you are 100% correct in saying that if you have no graphics card and need exactly that table in this format, this is probably the only way. I'm just not convinced that there's no easier way to get the *information* contained in the table (like lspci+dmidecode+/proc/cpuinfo on linux, for example)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Award BIOS System Configuration screen - entire table        Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WinXP SP2 x64
Darkstar wrote:
I'm just not convinced that there's no easier way to get the *information* contained in the table (like lspci+dmidecode+/proc/cpuinfo on linux, for example)
Of course there are easier ways to get information about the devices. The tutorial is not about getting information about the devices only how see the contents of the table. I am an enthusiast BIOS Award and was very curious what the table contains exactly, that's all :-)
By the way, the tutorial also shows the possibility of SGABIOS.

Top  Profile