BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 3h, 1m | CPU: 28% | MEM: 1662MB of 3639MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:07 am 
Donator

In this tutorial I will explain how make untouched and clean CD rips, and preserve them. It's really useful to get the original media. You can do this using ISOBuster, even the free version will go.

I hope my steps are easy and wish you a successful dump.

Step 1. Download ISOBuster from this link: http://www.isobuster.com/download.php

Step 2. Open the EXE file and follow the instruction for installation.

Step 3. You don't have to associate anything with ISOBuster, so you can just skip that.

Step 4. Tick the ticks as shown (recommended).

Step 5. I suggest you NOT install the Toolbar, because it's Adware.

Step 6. After the installation, run ISOBuster and select "Free funct. only".

Step 7. A dialog box about updates will pop up, select any option you prefer.

Step 8. Insert a CD to be dumped (DVDs are not dumped clean by ISOBuster, so keep that in mind).

Step 9. Another dialog box will pop up, press OK.

Step 10. In the main interface window, select "CD" and right-click it.
Step 11. Select "Extract CD <Image>" and then choose "RAW (*.bin, *.iso)".
Step 12. Press "Not now" to put a roof over the developers' heads later.

Step 13. Save the ISO file to any empty folder.
Step 14. Wait until it finishes. If a sector error message pops up, press Retry until it works. If it still doesn't, clean the CD with a tissue or something else and try again.
Step 15. Save the CUE file into the same folder.
Step 16. Done! Now you can archive the folder and upload it to places.

Thanks for reading the tutorial. Next time I'll explain how to make clean rips of DVD-5 and DVD-9. ^^

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 pm 
VIP

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
A nice and helpful guide.

However, I think you should notice that this only works cleanly for pure data CDs. As soon as the discs contain audio tracks you will get different dumps depending on your CD drive make/model. So it will probably be "good enough" to upload and preserve it for yourself, but you will get mismatches i you try to match the checksum of your image to that of other people.

Some more info here

-Darkstar

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0-8.1 (All systems)
Great tutorial. Thanks for this! :D

Computer addict, Web Designer and Advanced Programmer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:13 pm 
Donator

Darkstar wrote:
A nice and helpful guide.

However, I think you should notice that this only works cleanly for pure data CDs. As soon as the discs contain audio tracks you will get different dumps depending on your CD drive make/model. So it will probably be "good enough" to upload and preserve it for yourself, but you will get mismatches i you try to match the checksum of your image to that of other people.

Some more info here

-Darkstar

Yes, true, I forgot to mention that. The redump guide should help in those cases then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:03 pm 
Administrator

When it comes to proper dumps without the frills of going through shareware software, nag screens etc I would rather recommend ImgBurn for creating the images. It can then create the proper ISO and even dump multisession discs when needed, and it dumps DVD media as well. And far simpler to use since it cuts the clicks needed by half. However none of these deal with real annoyances such as sector-based copy protections, for that you need a whole set of different tools (Blindread, Alcohol120%, CloneCD etc etc).

Listings: Online :: Offline

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
mrpijey wrote:
When it comes to proper dumps without the frills of going through shareware software, nag screens etc I would rather recommend ImgBurn for creating the images. It can then create the proper ISO and even dump multisession discs when needed, and it dumps DVD media as well. And far simpler to use since it cuts the clicks needed by half. However none of these deal with real annoyances such as sector-based copy protections, for that you need a whole set of different tools (Blindread, Alcohol120%, CloneCD etc etc).

Yeah, I usually use imgburn to ISO disks.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 8
Just in case there are some Linux/Unix-Users: Use dd for the same result:
Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to.iso

this works with partitions or hard drives, too.

LiPolymer

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE
I discouraged the use of linux command "dd" to dump images from CD-ROM.
The following is an example picture shown the metadata on the CD-ROM.

If you use dd to create iso for the CD-ROM ,these metadata info on the data track, like Volume ID, Publisher, Data Preparer, Volume Set ID ... will be LOST!!!
For 100% abandonware preservation purpose, please do not use dd command to create ISOs!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:55 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
sdawncl wrote:
I discouraged the use of linux command "dd" to dump images from CD-ROM.
The following is an example picture shown the metadata on the CD-ROM.

If you use dd to create iso for the CD-ROM ,these metadata info on the data track, like Volume ID, Publisher, Data Preparer, Volume Set ID ... will be LOST!!!
For 100% abandonware preservation purpose, please do not use dd command to create ISOs!

Then what do you suggest for Linux? :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 am 

Favourite OS
any γ release around
James wrote:
sdawncl wrote:

Then what do you suggest for Linux? :?

I have noticed the calculated hash code change of an extracted .iso when using dd, not knowing it is because of losing of metadata! Thank you, this infomation helps.

Edit: appears the cd which I have tried is from different source, not because of dd.

Last edited by ctg60 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE
For linux users, I recommend using wine to launch windows programs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:57 am 

Is there a tutorial for Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks GM?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:25 pm 
FTP Access

sdawncl wrote:
For linux users, I recommend using wine to launch windows programs.

You mean to run a Windows app to image the CDs? I don't think Wine provides access that is low-level enough for those to handle the discs properly, especially once we start talking copy protection (which would also make dd fail, btw).

Feel free to prove me wrong, if it does indeed work, great! But as is, I'd recommend using an actual Windows for this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:00 pm 
Donator

I'm not sure about OS X, but I learned that Alcohol 120% and CloneCD can dump DVD discs in a RAW format, if used properly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE
As long as a windows application does not use its own device drivers, it should run under wine. If anyone needs a native linux program, I'd like to recommend "cdrdao", an open-source disc recording program.
It is command-line driven. Suppose your recorder is located at /dev/sr0 and you want to name your image "DISC_DUMP", use the following command (excluding quotation mark).

"cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --read-subchan rw_raw --datafile DISC_DUMP.bin --device /dev/sr0 --driver generic-mmc-raw DISC_DUMP.toc"
You'll end up with two files, namely DISC_DUMP.bin and DISC_DUMP.toc. The former is actually raw ISO image file so you may want to change its extension to ISO. And the latter is actually a text file which contains disc sub-channel data. You could use toc2cue to convert it to CloneCD cue format.
For most software distributed on CD-ROM without copy-protection, ISO format is enough for preservation. The downside is that ISO cannot store multiple tracks.

By the way, the above procedure applies to Mac OS X and BSD as well. By default cdrdao is installed on most linux distrbutions. If not, you may download it at [url]cdrdao.sourceforge.net[/url]

Last edited by sdawncl on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:36 am 

Favourite OS
any γ release around
Thank you, good to know it. now I'm feeling much secure to dump CDs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows ALL
I wonder if UltraISO can dump clean images from CD and DVD...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:34 am 
Donator

878625670 wrote:
I wonder if UltraISO can dump clean images from CD and DVD...

No, it adds its own headers, UltraISO doesn't make clean images.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:11 am 

Favourite OS
DOS, Chicago, Memphis
Please don't advocate the use of .iso as an image format.

I have been making images of my discs for years now, and I think I know a thing or two about this. I would suggest instead .cue and .bin. It's a defacto image format and lots of software can handle them, like Imgburn, Alcohol, CloneCD, Nero, etc.

The main reason for this suggestion is that it's impossible to verify if an .iso image has errors or not, or even if it's complete or broken.

I would recommend using CloneCD to be on the safe side even if we're dumping our old discs since we can make exact clones of them with this software.

With .cue and .bin you can use CDmage to check an image for errors. It can also verify .ccd files too among others.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs        Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:01 am 
Donator

nirvana175 wrote:
Please don't advocate the use of .iso as an image format.

I have been making images of my discs for years now, and I think I know a thing or two about this. I would suggest instead .cue and .bin. It's a defacto image format and lots of software can handle them, like Imgburn, Alcohol, CloneCD, Nero, etc.

The main reason for this suggestion is that it's impossible to verify if an .iso image has errors or not, or even if it's complete or broken.

I would recommend using CloneCD to be on the safe side even if we're dumping our old discs since we can make exact clones of them with this software.

With .cue and .bin you can use CDmage to check an image for errors. It can also verify .ccd files too among others.

ISOBuster creates CUE/BIN or CUE/ISO images as well.

Top  Profile