BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 1h, 55m | CPU: 46% | MEM: 5339MB of 11537MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [Guide] How to install Windows Nashville        Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 pm 
FTP Access

Windows Nashville only has one build leaked, and that build is 4.10.999.

But you need an older OS installed to upgrade to it, or it won't install.

1.You need the following:
- Windows Nashville 999 ISO
- Windows 3.1
- DOS
- Virtualization or emulation software of your choice
- CD-ROM driver (Google for it)

2.Setup a new VM and start it. (Set memory to 16mb or less, or you will get an error)

3. Create partition and format to FAT (NOT FAT32!!!)

4. Install MS-DOS via floppy disk (A:)

5. Install CD-ROM drivers (you'll need these later)

7. Mount Windows 3.1 Disk #1 and start setup (usually A:\SETUP)

8. Install Windows 3.1.

9. Unmount floppies, and reboot. If Windows 3.1 starts, exit to DOS.

10. Mount your Nashville ISO, and navigate DOS to it (usually D: is the drive)

11. Type in: "setup.exe /is"

12. Enjoy setting up Nashville 999!

-

You will know you have succeeded if you see this:

explorer.exe version (Still win95 in winver)

If you still get that error
(While initializing device NTKERN: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.)

Try visiting http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192397

That might be of help but I didn't try.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide] How to install Windows Nashville        Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:59 pm 
Donator

There's an easier way...
    1. Install MS-DOS 6.22
    2. Insert Windows 95 boot floppy but boot into your MS-DOS 6.22 copy on the HDD
    3. Copy A:\OAKCDROM.SYS to C:\
    4. Add "DEVICE=C:\OAKCDROM.SYS" to Config.sys
    5. Install Windows 3.1
    6. Insert Nashville CD and start Setup

Or...
    1. Install Windows 95
    2. Insert Nashville CD and start Setup

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide] How to install Windows Nashville        Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
1796714721 wrote:
If you still get that error
(While initializing device NTKERN: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.)

Try visiting http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192397

That might be of help but I didn't try.
Sorry, replacing NTKERN.VXD with a later version defeats the purpose of testing this build's kernel, since the main reason for why the 4.10.999 kernel was even compiled to begin with is due to the introduction of that specific version of NTKERN.VXD, which was the base for that build's pre-release USB and IEEE 1394 support, so to replace it would basically upgrade a large portion of the build's kernel to being an RTM one, thus resulting in a "Frankenstein" build and therefore invalidating the low-level kernel (the VXD portion).

Also, to replace the NTKERN.VXD with a later version would also defeat the purpose of testing a build from November 28th, 1995, since no Microsoft beta tester would be testing a 1997 or 1998 version of NTKERN with a pre-release version of Windows from November 28th, 1995, when Memphis would have already entered Beta 2 stage at the earliest, so it is historically inconsistent.

That said, I think that most of the tutorials should be in for a rewrite, since we need information that is based on verifiable fact.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide] How to install Windows Nashville        Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:01 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
...Is it absolutely necessary to bump a topic just to criticize people using a different version of NTKERN.VXD?

I don't think so.

I mean honestly, what people do with these builds is their business. Good points are raised, but they're still entitled to do with the betas as they please, even if it's an incomplete experience. Let them have their benign differences, and do for yourself your advice.

You do make a good point though, but what're you gonna do? :/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide] How to install Windows Nashville        Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Why not instead read this patching tutorial by rloew: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=29224 . That way you can actually patch Nashville's own files to fix the problem (and no, the official K6 patch doesn't work on Nashville anyway). I even posted a screenshot there of Nashville running fine in Virtual PC 2007 after the patch.

WinPC wrote:
Sorry, replacing NTKERN.VXD with a later version defeats the purpose of testing this build's kernel, since the main reason for why the 4.10.999 kernel was even compiled to begin with is due to the introduction of that specific version of NTKERN.VXD, which was the base for that build's pre-release USB and IEEE 1394 support, so to replace it would basically upgrade a large portion of the build's kernel to being an RTM one, thus resulting in a "Frankenstein" build and therefore invalidating the low-level kernel (the VXD portion).

And so far, you have provided no evidence, that the main reason for why that kernel was compiled is that file. While I agree on not replacing files (especially since we have rloew's patching tutorial now), it's because using mismatched files risks causing further incompatibilities and might not even work (the files in the official K6 patch certainly don't).

Quote:
Also, to replace the NTKERN.VXD with a later version would also defeat the purpose of testing a build from November 28th, 1995, since no Microsoft beta tester would be testing a 1997 or 1998 version of NTKERN with a pre-release version of Windows from November 28th, 1995, when Memphis would have already entered Beta 2 stage at the earliest, so it is historically inconsistent.

But we are not in the 1990's, and we are not official Beta testers. We don't test for purposes of reporting bugs to Microsoft, so this kind of purism is completely unnecessary. Yes, again, I agree with avoiding file replacements unless there is no other way around it, but not for the reasons you stated.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide] How to install Windows Nashville        Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
James wrote:
...Is it absolutely necessary to bump a topic just to criticize people using a different version of NTKERN.VXD?

I don't think so.

I mean honestly, what people do with these builds is their business. Good points are raised, but they're still entitled to do with the betas as they please, even if it's an incomplete experience. Let them have their benign differences, and do for yourself your advice.

You do make a good point though, but what're you gonna do? :/
The only reason why I made this post was because of the fact that this topic was a sticky, and for that reason, I simply corrected the original poster in an effort at trying to bring proper information to the site, especially for new users.

Of course, I am not forbidding people to do whatever they want with their own personal collections, as far as I'm concerned, that is entirely fine with me, since I myself also carry out experiments for my own private projects. But when it is provided as an "official" tutorial (not that it really ever was "official" as such anyway, but still...), that is when I will often correct people if I have to, but without resorting to personal attacks against the original poster.
Battler wrote:
And so far, you have provided no evidence, that the main reason for why that kernel was compiled is that file. While I agree on not replacing files (especially since we have rloew's patching tutorial now), it's because using mismatched files risks causing further incompatibilities and might not even work (the files in the official K6 patch certainly don't).
Well, it is already quite obvious really, since if you read about it online, you would see that NTKERN.VXD provides a series of NT-specific services and even a separate driver format (.SYS), as well as services for USB support as well as 1394 support, whereas everything else was still otherwise the same VXD format that was used by Windows 95. Certainly, there could have just as easily been other, more minor changes to the kernel, but certainly none that were anywhere near as significant as the addition of NTKERN/WDM (Win32 Driver Model), since the whole point was to provide a new driver model to bridge compatibility between the Windows 95 and Windows NT codebases.
Battler wrote:
But we are not in the 1990's, and we are not official Beta testers. We don't test for purposes of reporting bugs to Microsoft, so this kind of purism is completely unnecessary. Yes, again, I agree with avoiding file replacements unless there is no other way around it, but not for the reasons you stated.
Because the whole point is with trying to recreate as much of the proper historical timeline of development as possible, as well as to explain how everything was done by the testers themselves, etc... And if we wanted to provide a way for people to experience anything that is significantly similar to how it would have been done by the testers themselves, then there is no way that we can possibly include files that would break the historical continuity (in other words, using the builds in the way that they were originally intended, at least as far as software and drivers are concerned).

This is of no offense to you Battler or to the original poster. I understand your opinions and I have nothing against you at all for your own viewpoints, just that in this case, we need to focus on providing proper instructions for how to install these builds for our new members here, and without any doubtful information whenever possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide] How to install Windows Nashville        Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows ALL
I used just a MS-DOS 6.22 bootdisk and installed on VMware, it worked just fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide] How to install Windows Nashville        Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:50 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Much, much easier:
1: Install Win95
2: Insert Nashville iso
3: Go to My computer > nashville disk > Win95 > SETUP.EXE
4: There is no 4. You are done.

step 3: Once someone finds an iso, they will put it on FTP.

Top  Profile