BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 1h, 51m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5350MB of 11537MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm 
Donator

This is a pretty simple solution, all you have to do is:

1. Have a working copy of build 73g installed in Virtual PC or some other hypervisor.
NOTE: Download this VHD if you're having issues installing this build. There is no password set.

2. Mount the VHD in Windows or use MS-DOS to replace C:\CHICAGO\CAB32.EXE with this one.
NOTE: Replace C:\CHICAGO with your installation directory.

3. Start the virtual machine and watch the magic. ;)

Thanks to Hounsell, the hidden menu and start button are now functional the way Microsoft probably wanted them to be.

Last edited by DeFacto on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
This looks more like playing with resources than anything else, which is why the other two buttons are still there.

EDIT: having checked, it seems that there is no code that loads the start menu resources in 73g's cab32.exe..

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:25 pm 
Donator

The Distractor wrote:
This looks more like playing with resources than anything else, which is why the other two buttons are still there.

EDIT: having checked, it seems that there is no code that loads the start menu resources in 73g's cab32.exe..

Indeed. I replaced the default menu for the Windows button with this one, which is unused and the bitmap. The buttons can't be removed according to my knowledge, unless if you put 81's CAB32.exe in 73g, but that would void the purpose of the hidden menu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
So basically, it was being developed this early, but it was simply never enabled (as your post seems to imply), or was it just a fan-made hack?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows LH 5112
DeFacto wrote:

1. Have a working copy of build 73g installed in Virtual PC or some other hypervisor.
NOTE: Download this VHD if you're having issues installing this build. There is no password set.

2. Mount the VHD or use MS-DOS to replace C:\CHICAGO\CAB32.EXE with this one.
NOTE: Replace C:\CHICAGO with your installation directory. If you mounted the VHD in Windows 7, make sure to reboot first before starting the VM to properly eject the VHD.

It's not the most beautifull thing, as I'm yet to find a way to remove the other two buttons, but at least you get the new menu later seen in build 81. :)

As i have never used chicago and never plan to i may as well ask: what are the "st" and "art" buttons for?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:01 am 
FTP Access

starcraft wrote:
DeFacto wrote:

2. Mount the VHD or use MS-DOS to replace C:\CHICAGO\CAB32.EXE with this one.
NOTE: Replace C:\CHICAGO with your installation directory. If you mounted the VHD in Windows 7, make sure to reboot first before starting the VM to properly eject the VHD.

It's not the most beautifull thing, as I'm yet to find a way to remove the other two buttons, but at least you get the new menu later seen in build 81. :)

As i have never used chicago and never plan to i may as well ask: what are the "st" and "art" buttons for?

St and art are caused by the texture loaded for the modded start menu. The St and art buttons you see are there as they were in the original, unmodded build without the odd textures.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 pm 
Donator

starcraft wrote:

They're the old taskbar buttons leftovers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:49 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
So basically, it was being developed this early, but it was simply never enabled (as your post seems to imply), or was it just a fan-made hack?

Yes, it was there but not enabled/used. Wack0/Distractor found it recently and I took a look, attempted to enable it with reshacking and these are the results. Every part of this menu is already included in the original CAB32, I just replaced the old menu and image with the hidden ones. The "St" and "art" are part of the image (same as the one used in build 81), but because there's no way to remove those two buttons, the image splits accross all three, causing this not-so-eye-friendly glitch. Originally, there were three buttons for three sepparate menus (Windows, search and help). The hidden menu is only used with the first button, so when I replaced the original menu, the other two buttons became obsolete.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm 
Donator

Will you make a guide how to mod the Cab32 executable so we will be able to mod it ourself?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm 
Donator

Just use Resource Hacker and play around with the menus... ;)

Hounsell is supposedly working on a fix to remove the two useless buttons (which were unintentionally made useless by me).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 pm 
Donator

Well, I think I got it:
Rename these ordinal numbers:
203 -> 204
204 -> 203
142 -> 143
143 -> 142
...and enjoy!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
DeFacto wrote:
Hounsell is supposedly working on a fix to remove the two useless buttons (which were unintentionally made useless by me).

k, done.

Download CAB32.EXE here

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 pm 
Donator

Works very well hounsell, but how did you do it? :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
nice one hounsell, now it looks exactly like 81.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:45 pm 
Donator

TheCollector1988 wrote:
nice one hounsell, now it looks exactly like 81.

Not quite. Some menu items are disabled/not implemented yet and the start button image is slightly different. But otherwise it's very simmilar... ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUTORIAL] How to enable the new Start menu in Chicago 7        Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
DeFacto wrote:
Works very well hounsell, but how did you do it? :)

Time + IDA + Hex Editor.

Essentially, changes the following things:

• Only make one button out of the bitmap provided for the toolbar instead of three.
  • Change resource it pulls the bitmap from
  • Change size of the button from default to 57x16
  • Change resource it pulls the menu from.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Preview
This is basically just a sticker on 73g's start buttons. If you want a Start menu that actually works, use a newer Chicago beta.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:33 am 
Donator

flicktrace75 wrote:
This is basically just a sticker on 73g's start buttons. If you want a Start menu that actually works, use a newer Chicago beta.

No, if you would actually read the topic, you would see that hounsell did some hex editing to remove the other two buttons and menus. So it's not just a sticker, it's an actual "hack"/fix/whatever to use the new start button and menu, which were otherwise first available by default in build 81.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Most likely, it was already added in but made only available to certain people at Microsoft and possibly several other companies also, since they likely had it disabled for the PDC 1993 release.

Here is another screenshot, this time, of what appears to be a similar build (extracted directly from the Chicago Beta 1 Reviewer's Guide, meaning that it obviously came directly from Microsoft itself):

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 pm 
Donator

I'm guessing that's already in the 8X range...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
DeFacto wrote:
I'm guessing that's already in the 8X range...
It would still have to be earlier than Build 81, though, since Build 81 had the new Close, Minimize, and Maximize/Restore buttons.

Most likely, I would say that this build is either Build 78 or Build 79, or Build 80 at the absolute latest.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:25 pm 
FTP Access

I will say, it's maybe the real Chicago 78 or it's a painted Chicago 73 with the new Startmenu.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:59 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:
Most likely, it was already added in but made only available to certain people at Microsoft and possibly several other companies also, since they likely had it disabled for the PDC 1993 release.

Here is another screenshot, this time, of what appears to be a similar build (extracted directly from the Chicago Beta 1 Reviewer's Guide, meaning that it obviously came directly from Microsoft itself):

Looks rather like a mockup to me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LangsamSpieler wrote:
I will say, it's maybe the real Chicago 78 or it's a painted Chicago 73 with the new Startmenu.

Not sure where you pulled 78 from, since all this is clearly labeled as 73g.

AlphaBeta wrote:
Looks rather like a mockup to me.

Probably is, given the odd borders on the taskbar and all.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [TUT] Enable new Start menu and button in Chicago 73g        Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:31 pm 
FTP Access

Look this Guys:

Top  Profile  WWW