BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 2h, 14m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 2199MB of 5385MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [TUT] Mac OS X: Selectively hide/unhide files and folders        Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:44 am 
Donator

By default, some files and folders are hidden on OS X, most notably, the Unix system folders at the startup volume's root. It is possible to have them shown using a third-party tool such as OnyX to make the Finder show all hidden files, but this will also reveal the .DS_Store files (which disturbs me, for example). Also, maybe you'll want to have only some files shown, not all. Or perhaps you want to hide a file or folder for some reason?

1) You need to have the Developer Tools installed. If you have, there'll be a folder called Developer on your startup drive's root.

2) Open Terminal and enter one of these two commands:
Code:
sudo /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a v {file/folder}

(to make something visible) –or–
Code:
sudo /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V {file/folder}

(to make something invisible)

The command will require you to enter your password, apparently. Type the path to the folder/file or drag it in after typing a space, but don't type the {}, I've only used them to indicate a variable part.

3) Restart the Finder
Code:
killall Finder

One warning though when making hidden system folders visible: They are hidden for a reason. Be careful when messing with them.

PS: It's very advisable and enlightening to do a
Code:
man SetFile

Last edited by empireum on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:50 am 
an easier way to do this is to use the excellent Onyx program, which also has a load more options in there

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:16 am 
Donator

Embio wrote:
an easier way to do this is to use the excellent Onyx program, which also has a load more options in there

You didn't read my post carefully. I mentioned OnyX and said it has the option to make all hidden folders/files visible. The approach I gave enables the user to selectively unhide or hide single folders or files.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:22 pm 
Thx , very much!!!