BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 15h, 39m | CPU: % | MEM: 7286MB of 24567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
[Requires VirtualBox.]

1) In VirtualBox, create a virtual machine and install MS-DOS 5 or later and Windows 3.1 on it.
2) Create another virtual machine and install Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Vista, or 7 on it (it doesn't really matter; it just has to be a Windows OS that VirtualBox supports with guest additions).
3) On the new machine, install the VirtualBox guest additions.
4) On your local hard drive, create a folder named 'VBoxShared' (the name or location doesn't really matter).
5) For the virtual machine with guest additions installed, create a shared folder which links to this new folder you just created (C:\VBoxShared).
6) Attach the Windows 3.1 virtual hard disk to the machine with the shared folder.
7) Boot the machine with the shared folder, and copy the WINDOWS directory from the Windows 3.1 VHD to the shared folder (shown as a network drive in the guest OS).
8) C:\VBoxShared now contains the WINDOWS directory.
9) Open DOSBox and type:
Code:
mount c c:\vboxshared
C:
cd WINDOWS
win.com

10) ???
11) Profit. You've booted into Windows 3.1 with DOSBox.

This may seem obvious to a few, but some people have major problems with this, because of the complex image mounting options and boot options in DOSBox. Sound and graphical capabilities are good in DOSBox with Windows 3.1, and I think it's the best emultaor to run the OS in, so it's worth it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:56 am 

Favourite OS
os x
Or, you take some shortcuts, and just install Windows 3.1 directly in Dosbox.
Step by step for the installation in Dosbox' official forum http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405 (this guide has all the little steps that go into your step 1)

Sorry, for shooting this down but I couldn't believe how many steps you take just to get it to work in Dosbox. My first comparison was:
it's like breaking open the windows of your locked car, jump starting it, driving it through your living room window door, just to get to your phone to call a locksmith service because you forgot your keys in the house

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51
Yeah, installing Windows 3.1 in DOSBox is pretty simple. If you use Megabuild, you can also browse the Internet by loading a ne2000 packet driver and installing Trumpet WinSock in Windows (run ne2000.com 0x65 3 0x300 and winpkt 0x65 before starting Windows). Don't install MS TCP/32, that won't work with plain DOSBox - you need to create a disk image with MS-DOS for that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 pm 
FTP Access

Let me add a bit.

If you want to install high colour drivers, there are S3 drivers:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405

Scroll down to the driver bit, and then download them and put them in a directory inside the WINDOWS directory, then load setup, then choose your choice (I chose high colour at 1024x768)
when it tells you to put in a floppy, just point the setup to where the drivers are located.
ender wrote:
Yeah, installing Windows 3.1 in DOSBox is pretty simple. If you use Megabuild, you can also browse the Internet by loading a ne2000 packet driver and installing Trumpet WinSock in Windows (run ne2000.com 0x65 3 0x300 and winpkt 0x65 before starting Windows). Don't install MS TCP/32, that won't work with plain DOSBox - you need to create a disk image with MS-DOS for that.

I might try that...

hansdampf wrote:

It seems harder.
hansdampf wrote:
Step by step for the installation in Dosbox' official forum http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405 (this guide has all the little steps that go into your step 1)

I only go there for the S3 drivers. There's no tutorial for networking like Ender's little trick.

hansdampf wrote:
Sorry, for shooting this down but I couldn't believe how many steps you take just to get it to work in Dosbox. My first comparison was:
it's like breaking open the windows of your locked car, jump starting it, driving it through your living room window door, just to get to your phone to call a locksmith service because you forgot your keys in the house

How did you compare that to this tutorial? o_o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51
Small note about using packet driver: this will only allow you to use winsock applications (mostly web browsers and e-mail clients - Internet Explorer 5, Netscape 4 and Opera 3.62 all work) - it won't let Windows browse the local network (that needs MS-DOS with networking components installed, for which you need to use a disk image).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
hansdampf wrote:

Some things won't work if you install 3.11 on pure DOSBox (without MS-DOS) - especially everything that wants share.exe (Office 4.3, Visual C++).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:04 am 

Favourite OS
os x
Windows XP wrote:
hansdampf wrote:

It seems harder.

Then take a closer look. It's actually simpler if you subtract the usual steps for installing Windows 3.1x (which aren't mentioned in the OPs post). In that guide is almost no Dosbox exclusive instructions. The Dosbox approach is even easier because you can just have everything ready in a mounted folder. To install Windows 3.1x on VirtualBox you will have to jump through much more loops to install all that stuff.
Windows XP wrote:
hansdampf wrote:

I only go there for the S3 drivers. There's no tutorial for networking like Ender's little trick.

Of course not, the networking is not part of the official Dosbox

Windows XP wrote:
hansdampf wrote:

How did you compare that to this tutorial? o_o

Because the OPs guide takes a couple of insane steps that are not necessary at all to install Windows 3.1x on Dosbox
GL1zdA wrote:
Some things won't work if you install 3.11 on pure DOSBox (without MS-DOS) - especially everything that wants share.exe (Office 4.3, Visual C++).

True, if you follow the OPs guide you will have the exact same result, though.
The Dosbox guide mentions those shortcomings and also gives advice on how to make it work on a boot image inside Dosbox with which you will have that stuff working. Also the guide mentions a workaround for not working share.exe.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I find FoobyZeeky's guide a little complicated. You really don't need use VBox at all to get Windows 3.1 running. I installed Windows 3.1 in pure DOSBox, and it's working fine. Of course networking and share.exe don't work, but boot images IMO are a little complicated for running it on DOSBox.

ender wrote:

What is MegaBuild? An addon to DOSBox? A DOSBox-based DOS emulator? An app for Windows 3.1?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:40 am 
Donator

I believe Megabuild adds an emulated network card to DOSBox so you can do networking stuff with it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:39 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS/Win 3.11
Megabuild is a DOSBox build with several patches that didn't make it into the official release. It still doesn't emulate share.exe though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I don't know who to believe. :3

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/megabuild.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
ender wrote:
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/megabuild.html

I don't need the link, I want a description of it!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DOS/Win 3.11
The description is there on the page.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Oh, so it's a modified DOSBox build? Will it replace DOSBox?

edit: OK, I have a problem here. When I run Windows 3.11, sometimes my mouse is frozen in the centre of the screen and won't move. Restarting DOSBox usually fixes the problem, but I have no idea why it happens.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1
gamelover101 wrote:

edit: OK, I have a problem here. When I run Windows 3.11, sometimes my mouse is frozen in the centre of the screen and won't move. Restarting DOSBox usually fixes the problem, but I have no idea why it happens.

It's a modified build of DOSBox, it'll surely have bugs. might be the cause.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:37 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Spider-Vice wrote:
gamelover101 wrote:

It's a modified build of DOSBox, it'll surely have bugs. might be the cause.

No, I haven't used the modified DOSBox. I'm using normal DOSBox and it still happens.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [GUIDE] Running Windows 3.1 in DOSBox easily        Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
UZI180
Dosbox has Voodoo 1 emulation with an new unofficial patch.

Top  Profile