BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 14h, 43m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6335MB of 11118MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
http://new.taringa.net/posts/downloads/ ... ndows-2000

posted by chevady1203, but he does not has FTP access

scroll to where there is a Windows 1.0 beta screen, and the link will be there. Or is it just DR 5 mislabeled?

There are also some chicago builds not in the BA server in the link!

edit: It could be real, most files in the first image disks are dated at 10/29, 10/30, and 10/31, 1984.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:40 am 
Donator

Not real:
Code:
echo #
echo # You will be installing the Microsoft Windows 1.0 Development Release #5
echo # The following equipment is required:
echo #
echo #             o IBM XT or AT
echo #             o 512 K memory.
echo #             o Floppy disk configured as DRIVE A:.
echo #             o Hard disk configured as DRIVE C:.
echo #             o Color graphics card.
echo #             o External console connected to COM1: ( debugging ).
echo #             o Microsoft mouse ( bus or serial ).
echo #             o Timer.
echo #
echo # The following software is required:
echo #
echo #             o 2.x or 3.0 MS-DOS
echo #
echo # If you do not have the equipment or software above, abort this batch file.
echo #
echo # This file should have been copied to your hard disk.  If not, then
echo # abort this batch file and read the README.DOC file on the first disk.
echo #

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Actually, Chicago 105 = chicago 122, windows 2.01 = Windows 2.03

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I have heard tell of a real DR3 which is currenty being verified. I'm not sure how cose to complete the verification is, and since I have not seen any of it yet, I don't know whether it is real or not.

I really wish I could get DR5 to run from a 1.44MB bootable on any machine, like Nathan Lineback's Windows 1.01 Challenge disk...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
marktuson wrote:
I really wish I could get DR5 to run from a 1.44MB bootable on any machine

Good luck you will fail at this.

There are MANY restrictions running an DR5 and alpha.
Need for DOS 2/3, 4 and up = NOT supported.
Also it needs an 8086/8088/80186/80286 processor, running any higher, and it will not load.

If it could, we could run it also in VPC/VMWare, but we cannot, that is the reason.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
DjRob wrote:
marktuson wrote:

Also it needs an 8086/8088/80186/80286 processor, running any higher, and it will not load.

If it could, we could run it also in VPC/VMWare, but we cannot, that is the reason.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there.

Funnily enough, I was just saying I'd ike to see it. I think it'd be cool. That's not to say that I am claiming to have discovered a way or that I actually intend to do it, just that I'd like to be able to either do it or see it done.

I reckon there's a way (still be an emulator, see below) to do it, but it woud require some skilled x86 assembly coding done.

The emulator would run on DOS, and would be similar to PCem in functionaity. It would not have a GUI, rather it would be configured either on first loading/installation or a settings.inf/whatever file would be edited. It woud load directly from a small DOS partition, and would have emulated hard disks configurable from the actual HDD. The number of partitions would be limited to 2, and would be actual logical drives on the secondary partition, but the emulator would make the emuated OS think they were seperate hard drives (I'm not sure how that would be implemented). All the emulator's files such as BIOS ROMS and GPU ROMS would be stored on the real DOS partition, which the emulator would somehow make invisible to the guest OS. The GPU would be emulated completely by the emulator, meaning that whatever the output on real hardware looks like, the emulation would look like. It would directly access the floppy drive(s) (and CD drive(s) if you'd configured CD support in the emulator), and likewise the hard disk partitions you had created.

Yeah, I know it wouldn't fit onto a floppy, and I know that it would be excruciatingly difficult to code if it was even possible, and as such will probably never appear. I only have had those thoughts because it's one of those things that's been in my mind while I've idly walked around where I live.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:08 pm 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
marktuson wrote:

No, keep your processor in real mode, (Virtual 8086 Mode) and have a serial mouse.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune
It's a fake..
I am sorry...
I try it by myself><
It is DR5.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
marktuson wrote:
I really wish I could get DR5 to run from a 1.44MB bootable
Already done by me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 1.0 DR3, can anyone confirm?        Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
DennisG50 wrote:
marktuson wrote:
I really wish I could get DR5 to run from a 1.44MB bootable
Already done by me.

Hm'kay, if it'll work on any machine then I'll download it. You said you haven't changed anything, so I don't think it will work, because those two builds (DR5 and Alpha) not only require Serial meeces, they'll only run on specific IBM chipsets. As in the builds won't work on clones.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]