BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 13h, 5m | CPU: 9% | MEM: 5997MB of 11144MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows 7 UK Pre-Orders: Sales in first 8 hours top Vista's        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
This is just hysterical. It appears that the buzz around Windows 7 mixed with the anticlimax around Windows Vista allowed UK pre-orders for Windows 7 in just 8-short-hours to surpass that of Windows Vista's in 17 weeks.
Quote:
If you’re reading this and haven’t preordered a copy of Windows 7E in one of the participating EU countries, you may not have a chance to do so. The Microsoft Store crashed soon after July 15th came in the UK, while preorders for Windows 7 E sold out on Amazon Germany and France in less than an hour. To be more specific, Amazon France sold out in about 40 minutes while Germany’s Home Premium sold at the €49.97 price sold out in 10 minutes! Amazon UK told BBC said that sales for Windows 7 in the first eight hours of the preorder promotion surpassed Windows Vista’s 17-week preorder period.

http://windows7center.com/news/windows- ... in-europe/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 UK Pre-Orders: Sales in first 8 hours top Vista's        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP
This was because of Microsoft's Beta and RC public tests. Those created a lot of publicity and generated a lot of good buzz for Windows 7, considering Vista was viewed so negatively by consumers.

Can't wait! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 UK Pre-Orders: Sales in first 8 hours top Vista's        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
luridphantom wrote:
This was because of Microsoft's Beta and RC public tests. Those created a lot of publicity and generated a lot of good buzz for Windows 7, considering Vista was viewed so negatively by consumers.

Can't wait! :D

While that probably helped a lot, Vista also had public pre-releases - Beta 2, RC1, and RC2 were all public releases.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 UK Pre-Orders: Sales in first 8 hours top Vista's        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
I'm not too surprised, windows Vista got constant bad press. :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 UK Pre-Orders: Sales in first 8 hours top Vista's        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
So, looks like Windows Vista is getting shafted just like ME was, only that Vista was given a bit more time on the market. What a shame.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 UK Pre-Orders: Sales in first 8 hours top Vista's        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:11 pm 
FTP Access

The fact Windows 7 has been so popular only goes to show just how misinformed people were about Vista, what with it being practically the same thing and all. I notice absolutely no performance or stability changes between the two (only broken programs), so in my personal opinion the only gain by 7 is the superbar and libraries, but then there is the loss of Extras and a slightly more annoying user experience than Vista.

I think 7 seems to have swapped the annoying UAC notifications for just as annoying program compatibility notifications, with it asking on most programs if the program ran properly even when uninstalling something. I see no great advantage for people who have Vista to upgrade to 7, they won't be missing much.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 UK Pre-Orders: Sales in first 8 hours top Vista's        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:16 am 
Donator

OG wrote:
I think 7 seems to have swapped the annoying UAC notifications for just as annoying program compatibility notifications, with it asking on most programs if the program ran properly even when uninstalling something.

That bugged the crap outta me, luckily it can be disabled in services.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]