BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 19d, 19h, 55m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5808MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:17 pm 
Donator

motherboardlove wrote:
kurogin wrote:
J.Byrne wrote:
Shame to see the site go, wonder when Mininova will follow.

When the owners lose a giant lawsuit.

But Mininova has a copyright policy, and actually takes down torrents when I sent them a cease and desist letter. :)

So does isoHunt but they got sued anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Cause maybe they havent removed the torrent yet :( A LOT of torrents are still there... Ive never seen a ISOHUNT torrent get removed :cry:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:49 pm 
FTP Access

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10289985-93.html
KaZaa too :P Internet gets cleared from piracy :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:06 pm 
FTP Access

motherboardlove wrote:
Cause maybe they havent removed the torrent yet :( A LOT of torrents are still there... Ive never seen a ISOHUNT torrent get removed :cry:

I have, lots.

In isoHunt's case the simple fact is that the MPAA (rather the copyright holders they represent) almost never bothered to send takedown requests, and couldn't care less if isoHunt had a copyright policy. They wanted blood so they sued. When it comes to the **AA's there really is no reasoning.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:47 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Here is a little tip. Piracy can never be extinguished. Even if, every piracy site is tooken down, Piracy can be committed as easily as this:

You own a copy of Office 2007.
Your pal wants it, but cant afford it.
You burn him a copy and go to a serial site and get a serial
You give him the copy/serial

Piracy. You just gave away a free copy of a commercial product.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
James wrote:
Here is a little tip. Piracy can never be extinguished. Even if, every piracy site is tooken down, Piracy can be committed as easily as this:

You own a copy of Office 2007.
Your pal wants it, but cant afford it.
You burn him a copy and go to a serial site and get a serial
You give him the copy/serial

Piracy. You just gave away a free copy of a commercial product.

A serial site IS a piracy site, IMO :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:02 am 
Donator

Give the guy your serial number/product key.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:59 pm 
FTP Access

motherboardlove wrote:

A serial site IS a piracy site, IMO :P

Debatable. I'd say not. If I say 1234-abc-5678, and that just happens to unlock some random piece of software, then I just committed piracy, that is the folly in your argument. From what I know, you cannot copyright a number or any other alphanumeric string, you can have one as a registered trademark, but not copyrighted. If I remember correctly this was/is also the case for encryption keys, like those used to crack BluRay which every man and his dog had for a forum sig at one time because there was nothing illegal about displaying a string of numbers or letters. At the very most, a serial would be nothing more than trademark infringement, and only if it has been registered as a trademark. It is not copyright infringement, and it is not piracy no matter your opinon. On the other hand, using it to circumvent copy protection or to activate a product you didnt pay for is illegal, but that's down to the individual (and the applicable laws in their country).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:48 pm 
Donator

1: A site offering serials, provided these serials are not stolen, and not offering cracks of any sort, has not commited piracy.
2: As you said, thats your opinion (IMO), as your opinion it should be respected. If you had said it was a fact, you'd be wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
J.Byrne wrote:
1: A site offering serials, provided these serials are not stolen, and not offering cracks of any sort, has not commited piracy.

Depends on what you define piracy as. I define piracy as violation of the End User License Agreement, and distribution of product key and/or serials and/or activation keys and/or other stuff, is clearly in violation of that.

J.Byrne wrote:
2: As you said, thats your opinion (IMO), as your opinion it should be respected. If you had said it was a fact, you'd be wrong.

Right... It just depends on how you define piracy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
motherboardlove wrote:
Depends on what you define piracy as. I define piracy as violation of the End User License Agreement, and distribution of product key and/or serials and/or activation keys and/or other stuff, is clearly in violation of that.

That's not how the law defines 'Piracy'. 'Piracy' is taken to mean the infringement of copyright law. The key is not copyrighted, the product is. That's why Microsoft, and every other company, have EULAs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
motherboardlove wrote:
kurogin wrote:
J.Byrne wrote:
Shame to see the site go, wonder when Mininova will follow.

When the owners lose a giant lawsuit.

But Mininova has a copyright policy, and actually takes down torrents when I sent them a cease and desist letter. :)

They were distributing your software were they?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
motherboardlove wrote:

If you hate piracy so much, why are you looking up and watching torrents containing copyrighted content on ISOHunt in the first place? Why would you even think of doing that, as an upstanding individual? :\

motherboardlove wrote:
But Mininova has a copyright policy, and actually takes down torrents when I sent them a cease and desist letter.

Did you hold the copyright to the content you requested be removed?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Derf wrote:
motherboardlove wrote:

If you hate piracy so much, why are you looking up and watching torrents containing copyrighted content on ISOHunt in the first place? Why would you even think of doing that, as an upstanding individual? :\

There ARE betas out there, and theres also legal torrents. Is a torrent of Ubuntu illegal? I think not.

I goto ISOhunt for 2 reasons: to check to see if torrents of MY software are out there (and to take them down), and to get legal BT goods (Ubuntu, OpenOffice, etc)

ISOHunt decides to wait about 1 and a half months before removing it, when I said that they should remove in 2 WEEKS or face legal action. Obviously, ISOhunt does not give a damn about removeing the torrents.

motherboardlove wrote:
But Mininova has a copyright policy, and actually takes down torrents when I sent them a cease and desist letter.

Did you hold the copyright to the content you requested be removed?[/quote]

Yes :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:47 pm 
FTP Access

If under the terms of isoHunt's copyright policy, a copyright holder requests takedown of a torrent, and they follow a procedure set out to determine who does and who does not have a legitimate claim for removal, then once that person has verified to be in a position to make such a request and the content verified to be theirs (not misnamed for example), the torrent will be removed. If isoHunt didn't give a damn about removing torrents, they wouldn't have a policy of removal. More than likely, if you had trouble getting something removed, you either did not follow the instructions as to what was needed to verify your rights as a the holder, or you made yourself look like an ass by trying to be bullish, which would only get your request ignored.

I have seen torrents removed THE VERY SAME DAY, where there was no question of the person being the rights holder, and they approached the subject directly and maturely. Those who don't get told in no uncertain terms to [censored] off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
And this software of your, Motherboardlove, was?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
OG wrote:
If under the terms of isoHunt's copyright policy, a copyright holder requests takedown of a torrent, and they follow a procedure set out to determine who does and who does not have a legitimate claim for removal, then once that person has verified to be in a position to make such a request and the content verified to be theirs (not misnamed for example), the torrent will be removed. If isoHunt didn't give a damn about removing torrents, they wouldn't have a policy of removal. More than likely, if you had trouble getting something removed, you either did not follow the instructions as to what was needed to verify your rights as a the holder, or you made yourself look like an ass by trying to be bullish, which would only get your request ignored.

I have seen torrents removed THE VERY SAME DAY, where there was no question of the person being the rights holder, and they approached the subject directly and maturely. Those who don't get told in no uncertain terms to [censored] off.

I dont have to follow their procedure. I just take legal action if its not removed in 2 weeks of the C&D. I dont need to follow their removal procedure. They have to follow mine - becuase I am the IP Holder, and I CAN take legal action.

hougtimo wrote:
And this software of your, Motherboardlove, was?

It was custom software, leaked by an employee.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:58 pm 
FTP Access

No, you do have to follow their procedure. You see isoHunt is not based in the US, therefor they do not have any legal obligation to adhere to DMCA or any takedown requests, yet they do purely as a courtesy to rights holders, provided the copyright holder follows said procedure. Given your apparent attitude I do not find it unusual that you seem to have problems with them. Your attitude towards intellectual property is precisely the reason so many people go out of their way to pirate, simply to show people like you how little value your idea of intellectual property has in reality. You might feel you have rights, and the laws in your country might agree with that, but that is not true everywhere, where frankly your rights don't mean jack squat and no one has any obligation towards you what so ever.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Too add to OC's post; No judge would look kindly on your case if you rushed it to court without giving appropriate notice & time for rectification.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
hougtimo wrote:
Too add to OC's post; No judge would look kindly on your case if you rushed it to court without giving appropriate notice & time for rectification.

I did give appropriate time. I gave 2 WEEKS. Is 2 weeks not enough to hit the simple button "Delete"?

@OC

I can get rid of the torrent in a creative way - I can take legal action of the users of that torrent - IE I add the torrent to uTorrent, write down their IP and send C&Ds.

Will a moderator or administrator lock this topic, I think its becoming a flame war...

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2