BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 12h, 53m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5708MB of 10732MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:04 pm 
Donator

FAIL.

Quote:
FILESHARING SITE The Pirate Bay is lowering the Jolly Roger and setting sail under the legitimate flag of Global Gaming Factory, a Swedish software company that also runs Internet cafes.

Global Gaming Factory (GGF) is to pay 60 million kronor ($7.8 million) for the download service in a mixture of shares and cash.

Pirate Bay had become one of the largest file-sharing sites on the web. But in April the four Swedes running the site were convicted of copyright infringement, sentenced to a year in jail and ordered to pay damages of 30 million kronor ($3.9 million).

GGF intends to take Pirate Bay legit by developing a way to pay copyright holders when their content is downloaded via the BitTorrent catalogue tracking site.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... goes-legit

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista RTM
If tpb dies every private tracker dies too!
LOL

That's the source where 99% of the private trackers get their torrents.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
EddiePwnsYou wrote:
If tpb dies every private tracker dies too!
LOL

That's the source where 99% of the private trackers get their torrents.

That's ridiculous, and the other way around - I see content on my private tracker sometime days before it appears on The Pirate Bay.

Like Napster before it, The Pirate Bay will just become another defamed site of yesterday, a tale of good gone to bad. I don't say "RIP" to The Pirate Bay. I say screw you, sellouts.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
looks like irc filesharing will be back

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
good thing i got the All Windows DVD from TPB just days ago .. lol :p

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:47 pm 
Donator

Good thing I burned it to Disc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
One of the "Internet Axis of Evil" is gone ^^

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:56 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Meh... If TPB goes "legit" and asks you to pay for your membershit... then you will be stuck with a new tracker popping up, noone will want to switch from pirateing all their stuff, to paying for the same crap that they sell in the stores. it is just stupid. TPB is the PIRATE bay. if they do make you pay, the users will leave, leaving the company with a $8 million loss... They don't want the loss, so they _hopefully_ won't charge people. mebbe just an arse load of banner ads would be nice?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
pizzaboy192 wrote:
Meh... If TPB goes "legit" and asks you to pay for your [censored]... then you will be stuck with a new tracker popping up, noone will want to switch from pirateing all their stuff, to paying for the same crap that they sell in the stores. it is just stupid. TPB is the PIRATE bay. if they do make you pay, the users will leave, leaving the company with a $8 million loss... They don't want the loss, so they _hopefully_ won't charge people. mebbe just an arse load of banner ads would be nice?

I reallly hope it closes....forever!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I would like to see bittorrent utilised for legal filesharing. It has (imo) proved itself to be a very powerful and successful way of sharing files.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 pm 
Donator

I dont think it would be as successful for small number legal file sharing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:30 am 
Donator

Shame to see the site go, wonder when Mininova will follow.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:50 am 
Donator

The Inquirer got their facts wrong. There are definitely back-end changes taking place, they decided not to shut it down but the trackers are moving to a third-party and there is some new p2p technology that's going to make the site "more reliable".

8)

I hope all of you cheering that it was going to be shut down are throwing tantrums right now. 8-)

Quote:
Pirate Bay’s Peter Sunde has informed TorrentFreak that the site will soon decentralize and stop running a BitTorrent tracker of its own. Instead they will encourage their users to use a yet to be launched third party tracker for their torrents.

To decentralize even further, the torrents that will be listed on the site wont be hosted on The Pirate Bay’s servers anymore. In the near future the site will use a new torrent hosting service that will store the torrents for them. This new hosting service will be open to other torrent sites as well and can be accessed through an API.

In the end The Pirate Bay is making these changes to ensure that the BitTorrent ecosystem stays intact no matter what happens, Peter Sunde told TorrentFreak. By decentralizing the different aspects they hope that BitTorrent users will be less reliant on the uptime of The Pirate Bay’s servers alone. The burden will now be spread among several independently operated services.

Quote:
Update: According to Johan Sellström, the CTO of Global Gaming Factory, the plans have changed after Peter Sunde talked to us. “We had discussed closing it down initially so I think that’s why he said so. The plan is to use technology from Peerialism that makes bandwidth utilization more efficient and then it would not make sense to shut it down,” he said, adding. “Peerialism will modify the tracker but it will be backwards compatible. But all this is subject to change if for some reason it would not work. It is our ambition to do so.”

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:30 pm 
Donator

That actually makes it slightly more centralized.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
The Inquirer got their facts wrong.

Why am I not surprised by that? :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:18 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
motherboardlove wrote:
I reallly hope it closes....forever!

Stop. Just Stop. 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP
J.Byrne wrote:

Actually, I'm not too sad TPB is gone. Most of their torrents were useless as in they weren't always seeded.
If Demonoid shuts down though, I'll be sad. That's where many people go for their torrents. The only problem is that registration is hard to get.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:26 am 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
The Inquirer got their facts wrong. There are definitely back-end changes taking place, they decided not to shut it down but the trackers are moving to a third-party and there is some new p2p technology that's going to make the site "more reliable".

The changes are nothing more than offloading a lot of the current tracker traffic onto peers, similar to how DHT/PEX works, that is the decentralization (perhaps p4p). The "new p2p technology" is (yet to be announced) proprietary software that utilizes the bittorrent protocol and which adds a layer of DRM to any non approved media downloaded via that client. Its like iMesh, but with bittorrent. And/or the site will be subscription based. The Pirate Bay is finished, so much for their conviction. I guess they aint so smug now. This site may as well close because it has already become the laughing stock of p2p.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:11 am 
Donator

luridphantom wrote:
The only problem is that registration is hard to get.

Hardly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:26 am 
Donator

luridphantom wrote:
J.Byrne wrote:

Actually, I'm not too sad TPB is gone. Most of their torrents were useless as in they weren't always seeded.
If Demonoid shuts down though, I'll be sad. That's where many people go for their torrents. The only problem is that registration is hard to get.

Back them, it wasn't so hard to get registered. I haven't been there for ages. They do have a better system than TPB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:41 am 
Donator

My only problem with Demonoid is that with my upload speed, torrent sites that are share ratio orientated don't really work out for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
J.Byrne wrote:
My only problem with Demonoid is that with my upload speed, torrent sites that are share ratio orientated don't really work out for me.

While Demonoid monitors your share ratio, there is no penalty for having a bad one.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
There's always BTJunkie... and so many other trackers! Why the sorrow?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
onghornLay 4029/Whistler 2419
J.Byrne wrote:

When the owners lose a giant lawsuit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The Pirate Bay no more - bought out by Global Gaming Factory        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
kurogin wrote:
J.Byrne wrote:

When the owners lose a giant lawsuit.

But Mininova has a copyright policy, and actually takes down torrents when I sent them a cease and desist letter. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next