BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 3h, 9m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6175MB of 11345MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
Have you heard of the newest Microsoft Windows operating system?

if so , then you most already know that Windows® 7 has lost a lot of programs such as , Photo Gallery, Meeting Space, Movie Maker , Windows Mail , Windows Calendar and almost every program that was included with Windows Vista™.

This is why to get some of the functionality back you have to download and install the Windows Live™ Essentials.

This shouldn’t cause problems with the Operating System but apparently it does…

Source: http://blog.ardcorp.tv/post/Emergency-Update-for-Windows-7.aspx

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
onghornLay 4029/Whistler 2419
Although that is "news" I suppose, the fact is that, even if the file type associations get mixed up, they can easily be fixed in the Default Programs part of the Control Panel, under Set Default Programs. This is something important that Microsoft should fix, but it is easily repairable if you sort of know what you are doing.

I'm pretty sure this also happens when you install things like Real Player as well.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
kurogin wrote:
Although that is "news" I suppose, the fact is that, even if the file type associations get mixed up, they can easily be fixed in the Default Programs part of the Control Panel, under Set Default Programs. This is something important that Microsoft should fix, but it is easily repairable if you sort of know what you are doing.

I'm pretty sure this also happens when you install things like Real Player as well.

Actually no…
I mean I don’t think they would have to send out a fix for something so simple…
Also I just tired and I have the opening asx files problem I have WMP as default it has all its defaults but still no fix
Ill try that update later

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Well, they shouldn't fix is as an update, just more for the final release, so consumers don't have to deal with it, because many of them wouldn't know how to fix it themselves.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 pm 
FTP Access

Wait, so what exactly is the problem? I have Essentials installed on 7 and have no issues playing asx, mms, asf, ect. And since when did 3rd party vendors start issuing ANY emergancy updates for any Windows OS?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OG wrote:
Wait, so what exactly is the problem? I have Essentials installed on 7 and have no issues playing asx, mms, asf, ect. And since when did 3rd party vendors start issuing ANY emergancy updates for any Windows OS?

The problem is that in some cases, installing things like Real Player and Windows Live Essentials causes the default file associations for some media file types (mms, asx, af, etc.) to be removed, so rather than open with Windows Media Player or Real Player, as they should, they don't have a program associated with the specific file type.

The third party update is basically just a tool that does what the Control Panel/Default Program menu already does. The purpose of it is to automate the process for people who don't know how or who are having problems fixing it within the control panel.

My theory is that, for some reason, Windows 7, in some cases, will not change the file associations for any new program installed, and once the installation program deletes the old association, there is no new association for the file type, thus leaving it blank and prompting Windows to ask what to do with the file format.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:53 am 
Donator

Maybe it's just a problem with the Live apps not being built for 7, and don't forget: :beta:!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
QuiescentWonder wrote:
Maybe it's just a problem with the Live apps not being built for 7, and don't forget: :beta:!

Actually, I've had this problem again with Real Player 11 killing all of my media associations and with the archiving program Stuffit killing my archive associations. I imagine that this is an issue with file associations and something about Windows not letting you create new associations. It's a little frustrating, to be honest.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emergency Update for Windows 7        Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
Yea it was… I just installed the thing and well now everything works just like before
Sometimes is not Windows fault just apps made for Windows that just mess around with the OS…
I hate those to bad this time it was a Microsoft Product
And well Live Essentials is not longer a beta product… so it’s kinda sad…

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]