BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 39d, 0h, 48m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 6009MB of 12259MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
ricktendo64 wrote:
Does anybody know how to set up Windows Live Messenger to use msseces.exe to scan a file?

Only parameter I found for msseces.exe so far is -hide (Run registry key)

I wonder what command the ShellExt uses to scan a file when one right clicks

Dragging & dropping the file onto the msseces.exe only launches the app, it will not scan it

The Shellextension uses mpcmdrun, see the posting one page before this.

that is the actual scanner, msseces is only a frontend to set options for the engine and in the registry. ( HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\ and all its subkeys )

Try this, it disables the Onecare option, which indicates Messenger to identify Mpcmdrun as the Onecare tool.. The help for Messenger says that if the option is greyed out, onecare is already installed. But because the names of executables and paths have changed from onecare to ms security, messenger doesn't find it automatically.

EDIT : the command that you have tried "msseces.exe -hide" would only hide the trayicon. Windows Defender on Vista has the -hide option in its autorun setting enabled, too - this leads to the behaviour that it only comes up when it is needed.

think of msseces.exe as the same "application" that Defender is. What matters really is the scanner and the malware-engine which are different from defender.

Messenger Options :

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Hmm morro vs Eset's Nod32...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:01 am 
FTP Access

For you guys saying avast/avg/nod32 are the best products... make sure you do your research first http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparat ... main-tests

Retroactive Detection Rates
Avast 98.2%
AVG 93%
Nod32 97.6%
Avira 99.7%
OneCare 87.1%

Proactive detection rates
Avast 42%
AVG 45%
Nod32 56%
Avira 69%
OneCare 60%

For new virii OneCare was actually really good, with the highest detection rate and few false positives. For older virii, Norton did really good (fast scanning, few false positives, 98.7% detection rate). McAfee, Nod32, and Kaspersky all did good for older virii with few false positives, but average scanning speed.

Avira is my AV of choice.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:45 pm 
FTP Access

I'm wondering how long it will take for someone to make a virus/trojan specifically targeting this
app, to disable it.
Had that happen to me in the past with commercial AVs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:23 pm 
FTP Access

Microsoft opened up the beta testing to the public today:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Follow the links, it will take you to connect where you fill out a short survey. I think the limit is the first 75,000 people.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Only for US, Israel and Brazilian citizens?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Microsoft wrote:
This beta is available only to customers in the United States, Israel (English only), People's Republic of China (Simplified Chinese only) and Brazil (Brazilian Portuguese only)

and if you still want the beta however, PM me and I'll give you a download link

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Thlump wrote:
Microsoft wrote:
This beta is available only to customers in the United States, Israel (English only), People's Republic of China (Simplified Chinese only) and Brazil (Brazilian Portuguese only)

and if you still want the beta however, PM me and I'll give you a download link

It's fine thanks :)

I've a VPN server in USA.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft's new Anti-Virus, 'Morro', Revealed        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 pm 
FTP Access

I think it's worth mentioning that it appears that the beta offered via Connect is older than the leaked version a few weeks ago.

The build version from screenshots of the official beta is 1.0.1407.0. Meanwhile, the leaked version I have on my computer has a version of 1.0.2140.0.

The rest of the versions for the anti-malware client version, Engine Version, Anti-Virus Definitions and Anti-spyware Definitions are the same.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2