BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 2h, 0m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 6574MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:04 pm 

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
On Tuesday, Microsoft was granted US Patent No. 7,536,726 (it was filed in 2005) for intentionally crippling the functionality of an operating system by 'making selected portions and functionality of the operating system unavailable to the user or by limiting the user's ability to add software applications or device drivers to the computer' until an 'agreed upon sum of money' is paid to 'unlock or otherwise make available the restricted functionality.' According to Microsoft, this solves a 'problem inherent in open architecture systems,' i.e., 'they are generally licensed with complete use rights and/or functionality that may be beyond the need or desire of the system purchaser.' An additional problem with open architecture systems, Microsoft explains, is that 'virtually anyone can write an application that can be executed on the system.'

Patent here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=7,536,726

Again, no link. Best I could find is some Slashdot article, which is hardly concrete evidence. But I have a picture of a dog, instead.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:44 pm 
FTP Access

Lets hope that after 4 years they've given up on implementing this rather annoying sounding idea. Intentionally holding an OS to ransom is a bad idea, very bad. As an example, you buy the "basic" edition, and as such are limited to what you can run on it? What, no HD playback? No games? No NvAti 9860 Gti quad core graphics card on your "basic" OS? If ever that day comes even I would make a concerted effort to bin Windows for good and bugger off to the linux camp.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
does this surprise anyone? more imporantly does it upset anyone? im opinion, not really, there are decent alternatives to windows, mac-os and linux arent as good as windows BUT they are good enough to use as your daily os, after a while you wouldnt miss windows OR you could be a good little droid and pay the ransom money i suppose.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:30 am 
FTP Access

A patent doesn't mean much to us. They don't need a patent to implement something. All they have to do is put patent pending.

Besides, what you just described is Windows anytime upgrade. In previous versions of Windows, you couldn't upgrade from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro. This patent doesn't really affect us, the end user. It just keeps any other company from implementing a similar scheme until the Patent expires.

Also, such a scheme is present in Windows XP Starter Edition and Windows Vista Starter Edition and presumably Windows 7 Starter Edition.

This patent also covers the digitally signed drivers as a means of keeping just anyone from writing drivers for an OS that may not work.

Much of what's in the patent has already been implemented. The program catalog list doesn't appear to be implemented, but it doesn't look like MS plans to go that route. They've had 9 years since filing to the patent to bring out a program catalog. I doubt they would ever be dumb enough to implement such a scheme.

It also says that it was filed in 2000, but it also says 2005. I would think that the patent was filed in 2000, since some of what you see was implemented with XP (I believe XP used digital signatures for drivers, although it wasn't really enforced).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:44 am 
Donator

Quote:
Besides, what you just described is Windows anytime upgrade. In previous versions of Windows, you couldn't upgrade from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro. This patent doesn't really affect us, the end user. It just keeps any other company from implementing a similar scheme until the Patent expires.

You can upgrade...illegally... (cough*TweakNT*cough)

Quote:
It also says that it was filed in 2000, but it also says 2005. I would think that the patent was filed in 2000, since some of what you see was implemented with XP (I believe XP used digital signatures for drivers, although it wasn't really enforced).

That's true. XP uses Authenticode and De-facto signatures.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:03 am 
Donator

I didn't read the entire thing but it certainly sounds like they implemented parts of this with WPA. You're locked out of Windows or certain features until you buy a license. The 'agreed upon sum of money' is less than a retail copy if you've been pirating Windows. I remember something like this with XP.

Besides, like someone else mentioned, it's not like you need a patent to implement something and considering it was filed forever ago it's probably nothing to worry about.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
well i assumed it was related to the situation in china where some people pay per hour to use windows, to me ,its only a matter of time before Microsoft makes everyone pay per hour to use windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:19 am 
Administrator

As said, this patent changes nothing. Microsoft may do whatever they want with their OS as long as it doesn't affect others in a bad way (monopoly etc). If they want to cripple the OS because you didn't pay or fry your computer because you didn't register with them it's all their decision. As customers we have the right to say stop by simply refusing to use Windows and use Microsoft products (without acting like an idiot while doing so, like most fanboys etc do). Complain to Microsoft too so they will read about your anger. Microsoft will notice the changing attitude among their users and they may be forced to alter their ways to preserve their user base.

But don't sit here screaming at the wall and waiving your fist while using Windows. That will have no effect :).

Personally I dislike this feature disabling myself, at best I could tolerate the endless nags that it was not genuine. But killing my computer software is a bit extreme. And I've told Microsoft about it. But in the end it's their call. And if they don't listen to their customers (or wannabe customers) they might very well see the result in the future with bad press, bad reputation and bad sales. And that is an effect they will not ignore.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
OG wrote:
Lets hope that after 4 years they've given up on implementing this rather annoying sounding idea. Intentionally holding an OS to ransom is a bad idea, very bad. As an example, you buy the "basic" edition, and as such are limited to what you can run on it? What, no HD playback? No games? No NvAti 9860 Gti quad core graphics card on your "basic" OS? If ever that day comes even I would make a concerted effort to bin Windows for good and bugger off to the linux camp.

umm starter hme basic hme premim buisnies basic buisnies enterprise untaminte

and starter hme busnies enterprise ultaminte

its already been implamented ;)

but i like how thay justafy it by saying open sorce OS's ffer u everything
when most ppl need very little..

i like how thay use that to jsutfy selling home for 199 biz for 299 and ultminte for 400+ -.-'

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
mrpijey wrote:
Personally I dislike this feature disabling myself, at best I could tolerate the endless nags that it was not genuine. But killing my computer software is a bit extreme. And I've told Microsoft about it. But in the end it's their call. And if they don't listen to their customers (or wannabe customers) they might very well see the result in the future with bad press, bad reputation and bad sales. And that is an effect they will not ignore.

With regards to Activation, the 'kill' switch, that prevented a PC from being used if it was not a genuine copy, was removed from Vista SP1 onwards, because of issues with false-positives.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Patent Cripples Windows OS's        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:48 pm 
Administrator

Interesting then since I do have a genuine copy of Vista but since I didn't reactivate it after a hardware switch (too lazy) it went into RFM here. And I am running SP1...

Either way, this patent was filed in the US, where everything and everyone gets patented. Unfortunately most of these stupid patents are filed just on the hope that they can sue someone out of their company and home some day, not to actually try to protect some new technology... so if Apple would include a similiar feature in OS X then Microsoft would go at them with everything they have. The "technology" itself is useless tho since it's nothing unique, nothing worth protecting with a true patent.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]