BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 12d, 21h, 57m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 6727MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
The European Union has fined Intel a record breaking $1.45 billion in relation to antitrust charges against the company.

Zoom

European Antitrust regulators have been reviewing Intel’s case for a very long time, believing the company’s pricing model was an attempt to drive competition out of the market. Intel denied the charges related to rebates offered as long as manufacturers agreed to obtain the majority of their processors from Intel as well as paying them to either to delay or cancel the launch of AMD based products. The company maintained its actions were within legal boundaries.

In a statement this morning, the EU’s Competition Commissioner says Intel “harmed millions of European consumers deliberately” and the fines shouldn’t surprise anyone. "Given that Intel has harmed millions of European consumers by deliberately acting to keep competitors out of the market for over five years, the size of the fine should come as no surprise," said Neelie Kroes.

Intel on the other hand is not happy and plans to appeal the decision, claiming it “ignores the reality of the highly competitive microprocessor market.” The fine itself amounts to a mere 4.15 percent of Intel’s annual revenue ($38 billion in 2008), and given that the European Union is, by law, allowed to fine up to 10 percent of that figure, we’re a little surprised at the leniency of it all.

The decision comes amid speculation that Intel could come under similar scrutiny in the United States following resolute statements from the White House regarding anti competitive behavior.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:21 am 
Donator

Day2Die wrote:
and given that the European Union is, by law, allowed to fine up to 10 percent of that figure

why not just make the fines 10x less?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:23 am 
FTP Access

What made me laugh was the bare faced cheek of Intel's CEO saying that it was unfair and how Intel was a much larger company with a larger market share and had more employees to consider, well duh, thats all thanks to anti competative business practices. A bit like a bank robber boasting about how rich he is while complaining about how much tax he has to pay on the money he stole. Serves them right.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I say that the EU should fine Intel with 25% of its revenue for every year since 2005.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:36 am 
FTP Access

Day2Die wrote:
I say that the EU should fine Intel with 25% of its revenue for every year since 2005.

+1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:53 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
OG wrote:
Day2Die wrote:

+1

+1
+1 more for just being intel
+1 more for even trying that in the first place
-1 to AMD for being such a great processor manufacturer

just my $0.02

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
This is bull. Go free market capitalism. [censored] the EU...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:29 am 
FTP Access

In a free market (which doesn't actually exist, anywhere) buyers and sellers do not coerce each other into agreements using backhanders and bribery and they do not conspire to stiffle competition. In a free market, with free trade, there are no subsidies. Intel has not been playing by the rules of a free market. If you are indeed for a free market then you should be in agreement with this decision, instead you have only contradicted yourself.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
This is more the sort of stuff the EU should be fining, rather than Microsoft choosing to bundle Media Player with Windows. Microsoft's decision will benefit many users, where as Intel's actions don't just go against AMD, but goes against the Customers.
I honestly think Intel have got off lightly with just this fine, and that it really should be a lot more.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:08 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Something I never noticed in the first post, may as well mention it

BBC News wrote:
Computer chipmaker Intel has been fined a record 1.06bn euros ($1.45bn; £948m) by the European Commission for anti-competitive practices.

It dwarfs the 497m euro fine levied on Microsoft in 2004 for abusing its dominant market position.

Intel had it coming to be fair.

+1 agreeing the fine was a bit light and should have been more.

Day2Die wrote:

+1 for that.

People will try anything these days.

Offtopic Comment
/me looks at shiny AMD processor in his dell. Awww

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:15 pm 
Donator

Bender wrote:
This is bull. Go free market capitalism. [censored] the EU...

+1 to that.

If AMD, on the other hand, produced a short corporate diplomacy/war style movie including sabotage, deliberate false delays, high prices, and struggling competitors, then that would be a fun outcome out of all of this. I like thier current solution though, that being: :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:59 pm 
Donator

The EU is just unhappy that American company is controlling Europe. Same with MS. But, they can't do better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:18 pm 
FTP Access

XDude wrote:
The EU is just unhappy that American company is controlling Europe. Same with MS. But, they can't do better.

What a stupid statement. The complaint was brought by AMD, an American company, not European. The reason they went through Europe is because no one in the US had the balls to challenge Intel in court even though they are in violation of US antitrust laws.

The fact that Intel is basically owned by the Israeli's, just like the rest of America (whatever isn't on lean by the Chinese anyway), might have something to do with it. The reason Intel is where it is technology wise is due to them, not Americans, who couldn't research their way out of a paper bag. Intel was failing bad and the Israeli R&D stepped up the the plate with the CoreDuo, effectively rescuing Intel from the financial gutter.

The European Courts are no where near as biased as the US when it comes to dealing with large multinational corporations, so this only goes to show how shameful the American legal system is when it comes to dealing with companies who blatantly flaunt competition laws. Most of the posts I've seen on boards on this subject by Americans completely disregard any logic or common sense and resort the the usual EU bashing and seem to be in complete support of the illegal practice known as predator pricing, not that most even know what that is, or that it is illegal, even in the US.

It's not about the EU being unhappy about an American company controlling them, because they don't. It's about the EU courts doing their job, enforcing the law of the land, something you Americans need to learn a thing or two about.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:55 pm 
Donator

OG wrote:
What a stupid statement.

I agree on this.

OG wrote:
The reason they went through Europe is because no one in the US had the balls to challenge Intel in court even though they are in violation of US antitrust laws.

It may be that and/or that we do not care as much hear as Europeans seem to about antitrust stuff from companies or privacy concerns.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 pm 
FTP Access

Whether they "care" is besides the point, it is an illegal practice, just like price fixing. As a private individual, you are not free to break the law without penalty, so why should a corporation? This mindset is precisely why the world's economy is tits up, mostly thanks to bad business practices in the United States by the multinationals and banks. Maybe when you're all out of a job with no social security it might click that perhaps it may have been prudent to "care" a little more.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:01 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
OG wrote:
mostly thanks to bad business practices in the United States

Not to sound too supportive of the USA, but its important to keep in mind the contribution Britain's housing market had to the economic doldrums we are in.

In regards to Intel, despite recently converting to their brand and their superior product, paying off companies not to launch AMD is far too illegal. What I don't understand is the 10% rule for Intel income in the EU or internationally...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:05 pm 
Donator

I am not saying we will not sue, I am just saying why the public has not pushed doing it as much/fast. Besides in January 2008 New York already started investingating Intel and in June 2008 the Federal Trade Commission started dinvestigating.

Besides if the practices did not work no one would worry if the US economy was in trouble because it would never have gotten far in the 1900's (more so the late).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:19 pm 
FTP Access

Frozenport wrote:
OG wrote:
mostly thanks to bad business practices in the United States

Not to sound too supportive of the USA, but its important to keep in mind the contribution Britain's housing market had to the economic doldrums we are in.

In regards to Intel, despite recently converting to their brand and their superior product, paying off companies not to launch AMD is far too illegal. What I don't understand is the 10% rule for Intel income in the EU or internationally...

You mean the housing market that's in the crap due to bad investments made in American financial institutions like Fanny Mea and Freddie Mac? The only thing Britain needs to be ashamed of in this situation is that the US took Gordon Brown's advice on economic recovery and tried to use it to fix something which is fundamentally broken. The UK housing market, for all its problems, didn't cause the problem, it is a victim of a fraudulent banking system which uses fiat currency and petro dollars to screw the lay man for every last penny.

zamadatix wrote:
Besides in January 2008 New York already started investingating Intel and in June 2008 the Federal Trade Commission started dinvestigating.

It only took them 7 years. AMD attempted to have Intel brought to book, no one was interested. AMD filed their complaint with the EU Competition Commission back in 2001. Maybe by 2016 they'll get a ruling in the US. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:34 pm 
Donator

OG wrote:
[AMD filed their complaint with the EU Competition Commission back in 2001. Maybe by 2016 they'll get a ruling in the US. :P

The difference is the EU was investigating for 5 years to see if it was happening and 3 on actually getting everything else. We know its happening so there go many years. Besides it really is not much money at all if you think about it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Intel Hit With $1.45 Billion Fine From EU        Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:27 am 
FTP Access

If agree with the ruling. Intel had it coming. What they were doing was wrong. It was wrong to AMD and it was, and in my opinion, more wrong to the consumers. It's probably one of the few rulings that I agree with from the EU.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]