BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 19h, 59m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5913MB of 11025MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Firefox to get Multi-process Support?        Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Firefox
, the world's second most used browser, by the looks of it will soon receive an update that will add multi-process support.

By multi-process support we re talking about the similar feature seen in Google Chrome
and IE8 that runs multiple, separate processes for each tab, which allows the browser to function without issues even when one tab has stopped responding or has crashed. This method of splitting processes increases stability and offers performance improvements as well.

As for why the speculation regarding multiprocessor support arose, that is because of a recent project that the Mozilla has initiated. The project is being co-coordinated by Benjamin Smedberg, who is a long time supporter of Mozilla. While little is known abut the project itself, we have a roadmap which suggests that we should be seeing a simple implementation of this in action by July this year.

That being the first phase, there will be three other phases post this, which will deal with the interactions between process types. The third phase will comprehensively test APIs for extensibility, accessibility, and performance. The fourth phase will deal with the final implementation and sandboxing.

Looking at how things are moving now, it would be at least an year from now when we would see a final release version of Firefox with multi process support.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Firefox_to_get_Multi-process_Support/551-101825-643.html

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Content_Processes

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox to get Multi-process Support?        Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Sounds pretty good. I have to admit I do hate it when something like a Java applet or flash animation/video player crashes the whole browser when I have a fair number of tabs open. Although the session restore function is great, it doesn't quite work that well if you happen to be restoring a site with the broken applet on and it continues to cause the crash is it ;) I hope multi-process support will prevent this from happening at all.

What will this do for memory usage though? Firefox's usage is already quite high. I'm using 133MB RAM, 144MB PF here with just 3 tabs open. I do hope they sort the memory leak out that causes the PF to increase to stupid sizes and never release it.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox to get Multi-process Support?        Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Offtopic Comment
speaking of FireFox crashing... it seemed to hang for a few minutes when I was sitting reading these posts

@andy: it isn't a memory leak... i had the link at one time to reconfig how much ram and pagefile it uses before it decides to dump some... and something about typing about:config into the URL bar... If i remember... i'll let you know
Found the link: http://blog.skdev.net/2009/02/12/how-to ... k-problem/

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox to get Multi-process Support?        Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:21 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
IDK if this is a good idea. Splitting process is a potential security risk...

The processes could change their priorities or credentials... Furthermore, the creation of new process will be a further bottleneck...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox to get Multi-process Support?        Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:26 pm 
Donator

new processes separate items and allow things to be more secure... and it would increase speed for anyone with more than 1 core...

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]