BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 20h, 39m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5399MB of 11705MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Before you upload abandonware...        Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:42 pm 
Administrator

zamadatix wrote:
SiPlus wrote:
About abandonware: is abandonware that is still selling accepted?

Yes.

Actually, abandonware still sold isn't really abandonware now is it? The steam version comes bundled with DOSBox and is preinstalled and preconfigured so technically it's a different edition than what BA has, which is the original floppy installer. So no, abandonware still sold is not allowed if it's the same edition and packaging.

raidensnake wrote:
what about pc software that recently got abandoned since the company got taken over?

Even if the company was taken over that new company owns the rights to the software. You need to check if it's still sold or supported. If not then I guess it's technically abandonware but to be safe we also apply the 10 year rule, i.e the software has to be at least 10 years old also.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:43 pm 
Administrator

Updated the basic guidelines.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Question: Are clean beta warez releases allowed?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:04 pm 
Administrator

Yes, but only if they are uncracked, or the cracked files will be removed.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NTOS 6.1.7601
Can it be that it's only abandonware when less than 5% of the world still uses it. This is of course in the case of Windows XP where over 25% of the world still uses it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:30 pm 
Administrator

5%? Why not 7%? or 12.44%? It's kind of hard to know how many people still use an old product...

There's simply absolutely no clear definition what abandonware is, but only a vague one. i.e "old and "no one" uses it". Which is why we have our own definition of it to use when we decide what goes on into our archives and what doesn't.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3+
I have both the kryoflux and the supercard pro. However, I've started archiving all of my floppy abandonware using the SCP because I can actually validate it does indeed work. I cannot tell with the kryoflux that I got a good image because I cannot re-create a floppy using that image to test on my real DOS machine.

I have verified the SCP works great. Can I help contribute with these raw (.scp) files?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:49 am 
Administrator

I have not seen the SCP in action so I don't know how reliable those images are, but I don't think it's a problem.

But if you archive floppies for BA, could you please make them in both formats then? I'll accept SCP images as well. Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Thraka wrote:
I cannot tell with the kryoflux that I got a good image because I cannot re-create a floppy using that image to test on my real DOS machine.

Why can't you just write it back out and try it? KryoFlux has supported writing for quite some time now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3+
They only support writing ADF, G64, and IMG images right now and are working on custom IPF and STREAM writing. At least that is what I gathered from their forum.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Hmmm... I was under the impression that you could always write the RAW dumps back to disk, and that ADF was the only sector-based format they support for writing. But then again I haven't tried writing disks myself as I'm (currently) only interested in reading/dumping...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:17 am 
Administrator

I have now started to upload CD-ROM based games to the FTP. I did it every now and then before when it was older MS-DOS based games, but now I'll accept Windows games as well, everything prior to 2004 and not in retail.

However, there is one absolute requirement if your upload is to end up on the FTP:

Every game must be dumped into MDF/MDS or CCD format. No other formats will be accepted, regardless if the game has copy protection or not (this includes formats such as BIN/CUE, ISO, NRG etc). This is to guarantee that the dump is from an original disc and contains all information (all tracks and sessions, layer breaks, subchannel data etc).

I will inspect each dump and if there are any suspicions that it's a warez scene dump or second hand dump (i.e dump from a CDR/DVDR) then it will be discarded. If you can provide a full quality scan (check my guidelines) of the disc and covers then your contribution will be accepted. If you absolutely don't have any means to scan the material a photo will be accepted to prove that the dump is from an original disc. Make sure it's sharp and of good quality.

I will during the near future upload the titles members uploaded before, along with a healthy amount from my personal collection.

You may upload a game newer than 2004 if you wish, but then it will be archived until it's OK to release it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Before you upload abandonware...        Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:41 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
zamadatix wrote:
SiPlus wrote:
About Nintendo: are Nintendo betas disallowed?

Nintendo betas are allowed and you should find some on the ftp

Anything by Nintendo is not allowed on the ftp.
Offtopic Comment
Nintendo has to stop suing people just for uploading Nintendo software. None of the other companies have that policy even apple doesn't put that policy on their products.

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Nintendo betas ARE allowed.
However Nintendo abandonware is NOT allowed.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:03 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
rhobariii wrote:
Nintendo betas ARE allowed.
However Nintendo abandonware is NOT allowed.

I am still disappointed that Nintendo is banning websites just for posting Nintendo abandonware.

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:11 am 

Hello! If the software is already uploaded in english, is it acceptable to submit a version in another language or that not only contains english as the main one?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:01 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
REDVWIN wrote:
Hello! If the software is already uploaded in english, is it acceptable to submit a version in another language or that not only contains english as the main one?

If the software is uploaded on the FTP that is in English, and your copy is in another language, then it might be accepted.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:38 am 

mrpijey wrote:
I have now started to upload CD-ROM based games to the FTP. I did it every now and then before when it was older MS-DOS based games, but now I'll accept Windows games as well, everything prior to 2004 and not in retail.

Ahhh, OK, good to know. I had no idea any games were uploaded here (I do not yet have access to the FTP, so I have very little idea what BA contains).

I thought BA was all software development tools, operating systems, applications, etc - and it was actually the Windows 1 and 2 development discussion that drew me here originally and why I joined BA.

I've got about 4 big shelving units here (4 x 6 x 4 feet) full of old games here - all originals (as well as many boxes full of software development tools, applications, operating systems, etc, etc).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS
Hello, and sorry to be a bother. I've managed to archive many (and by no means all,) of my floppy collection with my Kryoflux and uploaded it to the SPS site. It is also their rule to include scans & images as well. I don't, however, have a scanner, just an old digital camera, so they allowed that I only needed to include pictures of the disks (which I did.) They also had me include a text information file with everything I could figure out about the release in question. So my donations included RAW dumps of the disks, pictures of the disks, images of the reference card (when I could, shaky hands limited the focal range of the camera,) and a text file with information of the release company, number of disks, type of disks, year, system (amiga, c64, etc...) and a brief description on the origin of the donation in question.

My questions to you: Would these ZIP files be OK for you as well, or will I need to collect anything more? Also, SPS' server limited the way I could name the ZIP file and the filenames for the archived files as well. I rename them myself for easier organizing. would I need to change the names back? I don't have anything (as far as I know,) from Nintendo, and I don't have anything archived (yet) newer than 2000 (probably nothing newer than 1995, but 2000 is safe.) What I do have is 100's of dumps of Amiga, Commodore 64/128, Apple II, Atari, & PC games (some utilities.) Some of this (from reading earlier,) would be archived (I have several Amiga OS dumps for example,) but the collection is rather large (~17G.) So, finally, is there any way you would want me to whittle this down? To avoid duplication, you don't want certain systems, etc....

Just a FYI, I've been collecting this since the early to mid 80's :) I still have considerably more that I haven't gotten to yet, (and after a recent move, having trouble finding my digital camera.) One of my primary goals (which SPS said they would help me meet,) is to find the disks that are no longer any good, and get some form of replacement for them. Even now, I sometimes power up my Commodore (128 or Amiga,) and play some of these (with disks written with my Kryoflux, not the originals any more.) In some cases, I have only part of the collection (missing Disk 1 of Abandoned Places for the Amiga, as an example.)

Thank you for your patience, and again, sorry to be a bother.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:58 am 
Administrator

Yes, we would accept them as they are KF images. Of course scanner pics are always preferred, but if you don't have a scanner any reference photos would be good to include as well.

And since it's KF images we would be interested in all of it as we can do a proper preservation.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS
mrpijey wrote:
Yes, we would accept them as they are KF images. Of course scanner pics are always preferred, but if you don't have a scanner any reference photos would be good to include as well.

And since it's KF images we would be interested in all of it as we can do a proper preservation.

Not to belabor anything, I mainly just mentioned my collection for completeness sake. As I understand it, you are only interested in PC & MAC software. I don't consider the Apple II a Mac, predecessor or not.

I'm in the process of (ok, later, after I get some sleep, been up for too long,) going through my PC files I've already dumped and renaming them & filling them out to meet your criteria. I'm not 100% sure how accurate I can be. I can only do a best guess based on web searches of file dates in many of the cases. Also, not sure how it will apply to PC software, but in a couple of the Amiga games I worked with in the past, there were file dates on write-protected disks that were much later than the "last" release date I could find. Ended up going by the "official" release dates for SPS, not sure how you would want me to go.

As it stands, I have time. I'm nowhere near the 10 posts needed to request FTP upload access, and I'm not one to just spam away to get there. I'll comment when I have something to say. You'll probably notice, eventually, that when I do have something to say, I tend to get rather wordy. Sorry :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:41 am 
Administrator

No, we're not interested in only PC or Mac software, we want to preserve everything worth preserving. If we can get proper original KF images of other systems we will save it as well, and we have a lot more in our archives than just PC and Mac stuff.

And you don't get access to the FTP by 10 posts (not sure where you got that info), but by contributing to the archive. So if you are willing to share your KF library we would be most grateful to archive it with us.

Thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
mrpijey wrote:
And you don't get access to the FTP by 10 posts (not sure where you got that info)

Outdated info based on old FTP access requirements.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS
mrpijey wrote:
No, we're not interested in only PC or Mac software, we want to preserve everything worth preserving. If we can get proper original KF images of other systems we will save it as well, and we have a lot more in our archives than just PC and Mac stuff.

And you don't get access to the FTP by 10 posts (not sure where you got that info), but by contributing to the archive. So if you are willing to share your KF library we would be most grateful to archive it with us.

Thanks.

OK, I think I know where I got that from. I think I might be miss-interpreting something. The download request forum states you can't request a download until you have 10 or more posts. I didn't pay enough attention when I saw that, I guess. I can see the difference now between requesting FTP access & requesting a specific download. Sorry about that.

As for donating everything, more than willing, but my workload has increased considerably. That being said, I think I'll do it in batches. Though, from reading things, I think I might be able to skip the bad dumps. Not sure about the incomplete sets.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: == Abandonware guidelines ==        Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:46 pm 
Administrator

Any donations are welcome, even the incomplete ones since we can then save them in case someone else comes along and can fill them. But what you choose to upload is of course entirely up to you.

Top  Profile  WWW