BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 11d, 13h, 36m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5349MB of 11401MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Namronia wrote:
Damn great! The Aero really works with this new Mode, im running 7057 as main OS, and 7100 in Virtual PC, and look...

Great! :mrgreen:

***** ?!?! :o

Finally!
I hope this also works with early Longhorn's!

It can use aero because it now uses the real graphics card AFIAK.

Now going back to WPC and not VMWare.
(VMWare for other things I will keep it).

Now for testing if the x64 builds work in it.

Also everybody is in luck if they want to use the date remember function, it should work.
The .vmc file is in:

%Username%\Appdate\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC

Just edit the .vmc file you want and save it.
It should work, I haven't test it my self yet.

EDIT:
Even if you install the WVPC in you're x64 windows, the WVPC still can't run any 64-bit OS's, this is disappointing.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
DjRob wrote:
Namronia wrote:
Damn great! The Aero really works with this new Mode, im running 7057 as main OS, and 7100 in Virtual PC, and look...

You sure? I assumed it was like the RDP Aero system supposedly present in 7 (I say supposedly, because I don't have two 7 systems to try it with) where the host renders 7's glass thanks to libraries on both sides. Not sure it'll work with anything but 7's DWM, but would like to be proven wrong..

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I think you are right hounsell, I installed vista but the RTM, not SP1.

It detected all hardware, including a new intergrated graphics card (WVPC video card).
I am going to try Vista SP1 tomorrow and Windows 7.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
hounsell wrote:
You sure? I assumed it was like the RDP Aero system supposedly present in 7 (I say supposedly, because I don't have two 7 systems to try it with) where the host renders 7's glass thanks to libraries on both sides. Not sure it'll work with anything but 7's DWM, but would like to be proven wrong..

Offtopic Comment
The Windows 7 Aero does work over RDP.
I had to take a picture of it so the connection bar would show up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
hounsell wrote:
DjRob wrote:
Namronia wrote:

Actually RDP works with Aero on Vista
i use it alot
however it has some bugs on Windows 7 sometimes it dosnt load or it stops loading thw Aero theme.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
DjRob wrote:
pkubaj wrote:
It sucks, since it requires hardware virtualization. It's designed for office computers, not home ones. Just tell me, how many office computers has CPU with hardware virtualization?

It depends, if the computer is a new one (with an Intel Core 2 processor or new AMD processors), it has.
But it is disabled in the BIOS, you have to enable it first.

This stinks, I have Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 which doesn't have Intel VT. When I asked my dad for a Core 2 Duo laptop, I didn't mean for him to buy the cheapest Core 2 Duo laptop he can find.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Day2Die wrote:
DjRob wrote:
pkubaj wrote:
It sucks, since it requires hardware virtualization. It's designed for office computers, not home ones. Just tell me, how many office computers has CPU with hardware virtualization?

It depends, if the computer is a new one (with an Intel Core 2 processor or new AMD processors), it has.

This stinks, I have Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 which doesn't have Intel VT. When I asked my dad for a Core 2 Duo laptop, I didn't mean for him to buy the cheapest Core 2 Duo laptop he can find.

u can upgrade the prosser u know..its not sodderd to the MB..

and cor 2's are relatively cheep now a days..

newegg ;)

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
angelwolf71885 wrote:
Day2Die wrote:
DjRob wrote:
pkubaj wrote:

u can upgrade the prosser u know..its not sodderd to the MB..

and cor 2's are relatively cheep now a days..

newegg ;)

Cheapest one on newegg:
Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1GHz = $209.99 Ouch
FSB 800MHz
Socket P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
ouch..i was thinking intel was useing a single sockit over the entire line..

meaning u could use a cheeper desktop core 2 in your laptop

looks like i was wrong LOL =P

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:34 am 
I thought for Remote Desktop Connection you need the OS with Aero as host. :?

PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Namronia wrote:
I thought for Remote Desktop Connection you need the OS with Aero as host. :?

what do u mean?

do u mean u were able to git areo on a guest on a host that DOSENT support areo?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
It doesn't work on my pc :( (Build 7100)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win 10
Do you have VT in CPU?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
@xeeynamo:

Run the securable.exe

If it's 32/64, Yes, Yes, then it runs.
Otherwise go into the BIOS and and look if there is anything in the settings (most BIOS have it in Advanced Settings) that says, Hardware Virtualization or something and set it to enabled.

And they run the securable again, and if it then is good, try to run it again.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
DjRob wrote:
@xeeynamo:

Run the securable.exe

If it's 32/64, Yes, Yes, then it runs.
Otherwise go into the BIOS and and look if there is anything in the settings (most BIOS have it in Advanced Settings) that says, Hardware Virtualization or something and set it to enabled.

And they run the securable again, and if it then is good, try to run it again.

My cpu support HV, but i don't see any option of this in the bios :?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
It should be enabled already.

Otherwise it should be 64 - Yes - No.

Try again, maybe the installer is corrupt.

Otherwise you can install you're own XP and install the integration components.
It should also work ;)
Off-course with SP3.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:15 pm 
Donator

BTW, my machine doesn't have Intel VT but the XP VHD works with Virtual PC 2007 with some modifications.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
A question about the new Windows Virtual PC.

It doesn't support floppy disks anymore, it the function removed or something?
Too old?

The BIOS still supports it, but the program doesn't.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:47 pm 
FTP Access

This is exactly what I was about to ask. Floppy support is in the BIOS but there doesn't seem to be any way at all to enable it that I can find. Can't even boot from a usb floppy of course. It seems an odd choice to ditch support for them so surely there is a way.
(Personally I wanted to see if BeOS would run again...;))

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
Installed :D but if i want to run the others applications of xp (for example the old mspaint) from a shortcut? Oh, Virtual Windows XP doesn't support fullscreen's dos apps

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
How did you get the windows explorer?

I only get the shortcut's for recently installed applications on my start-menu.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:42 pm 
FTP Access

can someone help me?

It's just not working over here. I did a complete new install of build 7100 x86 some days ago, installed some stuff and tried the XP mode this morning. I rebooted lots of times and it won't open. I just get the following message:

Can someone tell me why it is not working? Everything is working properly. I have enough free space (70 GB on C:), all necessary drivers are working, and my hardware should not be the reason why it's not working (AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+, ATi HD4670, enough HDDs and enough free space, ...). Or does it just work with Intel CPUs?

And has someone an idea whether I can find a solution in the System event log? I never worked with this utility.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
sibbl wrote:
can someone help me?

It's just not working over here. I did a complete new install of build 7100 x86 some days ago, installed some stuff and tried the XP mode this morning. I rebooted lots of times and it won't open. I just get the following message:

Can someone tell me why it is not working? Everything is working properly. I have enough free space (70 GB on C:), all necessary drivers are working, and my hardware should not be the reason why it's not working (AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+, ATi HD4670, enough HDDs and enough free space, ...). Or does it just work with Intel CPUs?

And has someone an idea whether I can find a solution in the System event log? I never worked with this utility.

You're hardware is the fault.

The message clearly says:

Windows Virtual PC Error Dialog Box wrote:
Windows Virtual PC requires hardware-assisted virtualization. There is no hardware-assisted virtualization support in the system.

Translated:
Either hardware-assisted virtualization (or just virtualization) in the BIOS is NOT enabled or the processor doesn't support AMD-V.

I think the processor or motherboard doesn't support it.

How many times you will try, if the hardware doesn't support it (you computer must be newer then about ~ 1 1/2 years) it will not run.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
did you enable virtualization in the BIOS?
If you read the above posts... it would tell you to do that first...
I have the 4200+ also, and it works fine for me...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows XP Mode for 7...        Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:07 pm 
FTP Access

Thank you for this fast reply. I didn't know that it's linked to my hardware features because I always ran Virtual PC on older builds ;) So I got no chance to get in running with my current hardware.
And I guess I already found the problem. Wikipedia says
Quote:
AMD-V operates on AMD Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 X2 with family "F" or "G" on socket AM2 (not 939)
and my Athlon 64 X2 is on a socket 939 8-)

But I think lots of companies got such "old" (3yo) computers like mine. So lots of them won't be able to use that feature. And companies with newer computers are already using Vista because they got this performance. I don't think that this XP mode will be very successful.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next