BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 7h, 7m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 6001MB of 11129MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Will we see a Server 7/2K8 R2 RC any time soon?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:51 pm 
FTP Access

Given that it is basically in sync with Windows 7 development, has there been anything to suggest that a Server 7/2008 R2 beta or RC will turn up anytime soon?
Also slightly on a tangent but why do we see so few Server builds leak out in comparison to the client version? Simply lack of interest..? There's only been 6801 and the beta publically leaked iirc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will we see a Server 7/2K8 R2 RC any time soon?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:31 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
From what I know, the Server 2008 R2 RC will get released together with the Win 7 RC..

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will we see a Server 7/2K8 R2 RC any time soon?        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Yes, May 5. People care less about Windows Server 2008 R2 builds so they don't get leak but microsoft DO release Windows Server 2008 R2 at the same time as Windows 7. Yes, there is Windows Server 2008 R2 build 7077 out there but no body bother to leak them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will we see a Server 7/2K8 R2 RC any time soon?        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:30 am 
FTP Access

Of curse there is lack of interest. Look how many people use Server 2003 istead of XP or Server 2008 instead of Vista and you have your answer. People prefer client Windows since they have all the feature out-of-box and dont't need to be set up with Server Manager and similar tools. I've used Server 2008 as my main OS for a year, with a lot of fomats (I tested a lot of Linux distributions), and after every I had to set up system for some 1,5 hours with system tools to enable Aero, Indexing etc. Though it got miuch better after releasing Server Converter, I don't recommed Windows Server to use for ordinary people since sometimes sth doesn't want to run, you have to search for help online, replace some libraries etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will we see a Server 7/2K8 R2 RC any time soon?        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:06 am 
Administrator

Well, that's not odd that you have to enable stuff after installing Windows Server. The version is optimized for server use, thus not needing a whole lot of eyecandy and stuff you usually use on a workstation... Installing a server build, modify it heavily and use it as a client is like buying a bus, cutting down on everything and remake it into a 4 seat convertible... why not just get the convertible from the start?

Some may argue that the server editions are more stable etc, but keep in mind also that the server editions come with a lot of unneeded stuff that you don't need on a workstation too. So I think it's better to get the workstation edition and turn off whatever you don't need than getting a heavy server edition and have to turn on a lot of vital stuff. There is a reason why Microsoft makes both a client and server version and not just one-for-all...

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will we see a Server 7/2K8 R2 RC any time soon?        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
In that case, maybe they should do an 'FLP' release of Windows 7 that comes without Aero or any of the drek that nobody uses, and all the drivers on a CD instead of being installed with the OS, since (as far as I know), a lot of the bulk of Windows these days is unused drivers and libraries. I think about it this way: look at the old Windows versions, Windows 1 was about 2MB on setup disks and installed to about 1MB or slightly less, Windows 3.1 was 9MB and installed to about 5MB, Windows NT 4 was about 40MB and installed to maybe 25-30MB. Yet Windows 7's ISO image is 2.4GB and installs to about 5GB.

Maybe we should do a hack of WindowsNT 3.1, translpanting the Windows 7 kernel into it :P ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will we see a Server 7/2K8 R2 RC any time soon?        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:45 am 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
Well, that's not odd that you have to enable stuff after installing Windows Server. The version is optimized for server use, thus not needing a whole lot of eyecandy and stuff you usually use on a workstation... Installing a server build, modify it heavily and use it as a client is like buying a bus, cutting down on everything and remake it into a 4 seat convertible... why not just get the convertible from the start?

Some may argue that the server editions are more stable etc, but keep in mind also that the server editions come with a lot of unneeded stuff that you don't need on a workstation too. So I think it's better to get the workstation edition and turn off whatever you don't need than getting a heavy server edition and have to turn on a lot of vital stuff. There is a reason why Microsoft makes both a client and server version and not just one-for-all...

It's hard to tell about Server 2008 R2 stability in comparison with 7, but Server 2008 is faster and more stable than Vista, even though it's preinstalled with unnecessary stuff (for desktop systems). People using Server 2003 say the same. And actually there's nothing to turn off in client versions, at least for me, but after enabling the same features on Server 2008 it worked better IMO..

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]