BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 21h, 46m | CPU: 20% | MEM: 4789MB of 10643MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:55 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Win 10 64-bit
Quote:
After seven years in stealth mode, a Silicon Valley start-up has launched a "revolutionary" video game service that offers new competition to consoles.

OnLive, which launched at the Game Developer Conference, promises to deliver on-demand video games via the cloud to the PC, Mac or TV.

The company said it could provide high quality gaming on low end machines.

"We think this moment, this day will be remembered as the beginning of a new era," said OnLive boss Steve Perlman.

"This is huge. This is transparent cloud computing. This is really really important for the industry.

"This will open up creativity, allow for new experiences and new kinds of expression that have never been available before," Mr Perlman told an audience of analysts, industry types and journalists at a ritzy unveiling of the product at San Francisco's Museum of Modern Art.

The innovation behind OnLive rests in its video compression technology which instantly streams video via the internet so that it appears "effectively instantaneously".

"Perpetually, it appears the game is playing locally."

The reality is that all the heavy lifting is done by remote data centres that can be up to a thousand miles away while players use a simple PC or TV hooked up to a broadband connection.

This removes the need for paying hundreds of dollars for traditional disc-based consoles made by the likes of Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

"We're giving access to people who don't have access. We've moved hardware out of the equation," said Mr Perlman.

"Digital strategy"

For around an hour Mr Perlman and his chief operating officer Mike McGarvey put OnLive through some of its paces.

To various "oohs" and "aahs" from the audience, the two men played games ranging from Crysis Wars to Lego Batman from a cheap laptop and from a Mac notebook.
OnLive screen shot
So far nine big game publishers have signed up to the service

With the data being sent from servers just fifty miles away, the men boasted of being able to play with one-millisecond of lag.

Community tools like leaderboards and avatars along with the ability to share "'brag clips" which are short videos of your game highlights, are also part of the service. Users can also have multiplayer matches and watch other gamers play.

Users will need a high-speed broadband connection of at least 1.5 megabits per second (Mbps) for standard definition results or 5Mbps for high definition.

Players who want to use their television will have to purchase a small OnLive MicroConsole that connects the TV to the internet and is about the size of a pack of cards.

So far 10 publishers have signed up to provide titles for OnLive. They include familiar names like Atari Interactive, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive Software and Warner Bros.

"OnLive fits our digital strategy, which is to bring content to as many distribution points as possible," Scott Guthrie, vice president of software publishers THQ told the San Francisco Chronicle.

"Amazing"

In the run up to the Game Developer Conference, or GDC, the company has been giving demos of the service.

Sarju Shah of GameSpot has had a test run and said: "It seems pretty amazing. From this closed test it works really well. You can actually stream gameplay like Crysis, which is a struggle for most high end computers to do but in this scenario all you need is a little tiny box and an internet connection.
GDC signs
Gaming is showing strong sales despite an economy heading south

"If they can pull this off in the wild, given everyone's internet connection in the home, they will truly wreck stuff for everyone. This is the tip of the iceberg. If they can stream gameplay to anybody then basic stuff like streaming video, a joke. Music? A joke," stated Mr Shah.

Mr Perlman said he understood why some people might be wary of what they were selling but that he wanted people to question what OnLive could do.

"What we have is something that is absolutely incredible. You should be sceptical. My first thinking was this shouldn't work, but it does."

Analysts believe the success of OnLive could go one of two ways depending on pricing models.

"Depending on what business model these guys adopt, they could be wildly successful or a footnote in history," said Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities.

Mr McGarvey was coy on the issue but did say it would be subscription based and that pricing "would be worked out in due course".

Over the next few days at the Game Developer Conference, attendees will get the chance to test out the service. The company is also inviting gamers to sign up for an external beta over the summer.

Mr Perlman ended his presentation with one plea to the audience and the wider gaming community. "This is thinking out of the box, help us make it out of the box.

"The benefits of what we are doing are just huge so we've got to at least see if we can make this thing work. It's just too cool."

Source: bbc.co.uk

http://www.onlive.com
Unfortunatly because I live in the UK, the beta is only for the US... :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:32 am 
Donator

1.5mpbs with no one else using the internet, and 5mpbs rules out most of my country and probably many more. this won't take off for years

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 am 
FTP Access

You'd still need a decent graphics card to render the graphics, they don't just magic themselves onto the screen. To run a decent graphics card you need a decent cpu (also needed to decompress the video data) and at least a couple of gig ram, so what exactly is their idea of "low end"? I'd need to see this working with my own eyes to make any sort of valued judgement.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 am 
Donator

true, however to run crysis on max requires a lot more processing power than it does to decode the video/sound.

Quote:
With the data being sent from servers just fifty miles away, the men boasted of being able to play with one-millisecond of lag.

The problem is, not everyone lives 50 miles from a server. In online games here, i'm happy with around 70-130ms (some games I have to play on aussie servers) however ~90ms of mouse lag is very noticeable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:59 am 
FTP Access

Well with cable/fibre latency isn't so much of an issue but then I still know of a couple of people who can't even get broadband so... I mean hell alot of folk have a hard enough time just staying online to get in a round of Counterstrike. Throw bandwidth restriction impossed by alot of the major ISP's around the globe and you have to question just how workable this is in the real world. As for running Crysis, it would be interesting to know what we're talking about here. I mean are we talking about streaming it at 720x480 with max settings or 1600x1200 with max settings. Could this actually be more about curbing piracy than providing a reasonable experience? I mean if all the important bits of the game are held somewhere else then no one would be in possession of anything that could be copied or distributed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:21 am 
Donator

Quote:
The innovation behind OnLive rests in its video compression technology which instantly streams video via the internet so that it appears "effectively instantaneously".

OG wrote:
You'd still need a decent graphics card to render the graphics, they don't just magic themselves onto the screen. To run a decent graphics card you need a decent cpu (also needed to decompress the video data) and at least a couple of gig ram, so what exactly is their idea of "low end"? I'd need to see this working with my own eyes to make any sort of valued judgement.

?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:35 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Luckily for numerous reasons this won't take off:
-People with 1.5mbs or 5mbs have good computers
-Lack of content
-As a 3rd party their prices will be high: You will need to pay ~20 USDfor faster internet, and ~20 USD for their servers and another unknown number for the actual games
-Economically unfeasible as GPU demand grows notable quicker then its possible to replace new hardware

0-0-0-0-0-0-0

I fear this service becoming popular because the only way to develop games will be through the cloud computer service provider. Although this may someone what solve the problem of computer piracy...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:45 am 
Donator

What about: Most people don't have good routers or QoS.

So I'm playing my game and then someone else in my house starts using the Internet and the video starts lagging behind my mouse movements?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Personally, being a traditionalist, I prefer to play my games using my own system resources.

And on top of that, people usually don't have the bandwidth for something like this... Unless they want to play games at resolutions the size of postage stamps...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Onlive - Gaming of the future?        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:21 pm 
Donator

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/Imag ... dchart.jpg any country above 3.5 should be able to use this on a large scale for 1080p so not as bad as people are saying but definitely not preferred for people wanting high resolutions on there 1.5mbps connection.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]