BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 55d, 8h, 7m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5688MB of 10708MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64

Outlook 2010 has been seen out in the wild, courtesy of an anonymous source within the Education team at Microsoft.

This is major news for students as most universities have adopted to Office 2007, which thankfully, it seems for the time being, Office 2010 will sport the same user interface. However, with the release expected late this year, most likely next year at some point, with an adoption already still very much under trial, I do not foresee universities jumping on the Office 2010 bandwagon just yet.

This is the About box, which at the moment sports only the license agreement and privacy statement. You can probably start to feel as to how this version of Office will present itself; bright, energetic and citrus in colour.

While the icons are still to be desired as they have clearly not been finished yet, you can tell from the revised user interface that a clean look is important to users. It also sheds some light as to what “OIS” and “InterConnect” are; possibly the new name for Groove?

And finally…

Outlook 2010 now sports the Ribbon toolbar, which was implemented due to the massive increase of features within the application. Depending on the back-end infrastructure, the next generation of Exchange Server will presumably offer more functionality along with Outlook.

As you can clearly see, most of the application has been blanked out as to first and foremost protect the identity of the employee, but also to ensure their emails and Outlook items are preserved.

The interface is less confusing, much cleaner and feels more seamless than before. I’ve never been able to get my head around Outlook 2003 or 2007, but perhaps if Outlook 2010 is put forward with Office Home and Student (or whichever way they decide to go with SKU’s) then it would give students a better email management system.

Whilst some sources remain to be sceptical, and understandably so, all evidence currently points to a final name of Microsoft Office 2010, or some combination of the name. We will have to wait and see, because Microsoft do love throwing a curve-ball at any given opportunity…

This other screenshot yields some interesting thoughts, also, with the name Office 2010 clearly displayed with a new orange logo. As the text suggests, this is currently “placeholder branding” but suggestions from around the web seem to point to it being the accurate name for the final product.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:19 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
personally, that looks like a photoshop job done badly. My bad. That is a photoshop job. The 2010 isn't the same font as Office. And it's out of place. the dithering as well. Thats the logo

The actual screenshot, apart from the paint line in the bottom left looks fairly like the real deal, but I have reservations

Oh well

(Also, my school only just adopted office 2003 :( )

Admin edit: Added the strike function to your text.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS X 10.9 GNU/FreeBSD
The thing I hate about the new Office since 2007 has to be the ribbon, whoever came up with it is just plain stupid. My school uses Office 2003 and I can see why.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Rioter wrote:
[s]personally, that looks like a photoshop job done badly. (Where's strikethrough :O) My bad. That is a photoshop job. The 2010 isn't the same font as Office. And it's out of place. the dithering as well. Thats the logo

The actual screenshot, apart from the paint line in the bottom left looks fairly like the real deal, but I have reservations

Oh well

(Also, my school only just adopted office 2003 :( )

Well, I would think that Cnet is reliable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:08 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
They are allowed to be wrong you know.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Rioter wrote:
They are allowed to be wrong you know.

Somebody else is suspicious too: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!22657.entry

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:37 am 
FTP Access

I have Office 07 and I love it. The equation editor makes me drool, although i skipped from Office XP to Office 2007, but I really love the ribbon. I probably won't get Office 2010 though. I really don't see much of a reason to.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:42 am 
Donator

acfrazier wrote:
The thing I hate about the new Office since 2007 has to be the ribbon, whoever came up with it is just plain stupid. My school uses Office 2003 and I can see why.

I thought it was silly at first, but once I started using it I found it great. Much easier to work with.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:42 pm 
Yes the ribbon at first is annoying, but after a while it does make sense. Microsoft is adapting
the ribbon into more and more applications making a more standardized UI, in turn easier for the
end user to navigate once we all get the hang of it.

PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:17 am 
FTP Access

I hate the fact that they're now adpoting the Windows 7 style ribbon which features the smaller menu button below the titlebar. I'd like to see that huge round button with the logo insode the titlebar again AND in Paint and Wordpad. :(

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:52 pm 
It looks good! Do you have a download link for this :beta: ?

PostPost subject: Re: Office 2010: new logo, Outlook, and user interface        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
It has not been leaked yet.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]