BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 48d, 23h, 54m | CPU: 72% | MEM: 6197MB of 10870MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Anti-Social Networking        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 pm 
Donator

Like many people, Randy Hallet is fed up with the Facebooking of the planet. Unlike most, he's decided to do something about it. The 30-something Webpreneur has created what he calls "the anti-social network."

Hallet declined to speak by phone, though he did agree to an interview via Twitter. He tweeted:

"I'm fed up with Web 2.0. I moved 3000 miles to get away from some of these people. Now I have to see what they had for lunch every day."

Many people feel pressure to participate in social networks, even when they don't really want to, Hallet explained. The next thing they know, photos of them wearing nothing but body paint and Spock ears have been broadcast to complete strangers. It damages both their reputations and their psyches, he laments.

So Hallet created "Garbo." Named for the 1930s film star turned recluse, Garbo allows users to quietly de-friend everyone in their Linked-In, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Bebo, Digg, and other social networks without anyone noticing. New friend requests sent on any of these existing services will be greeted with a one-line response: "I want to be left alone."

"At the current rate of growth there will be more social networks than people by 2011," Hallet tweeted. "Enough is enough."

Hallet says he briefly considered naming the service Salinger or Pynchon, but settled on Garbo because he realized while many Netizens have never actually read a book, they'd probably seen at least one movie.

Still in closed beta, Hallet hopes to unveil Garbo later this spring "before the world goes completely to hell," he tweets. Those interested in signing up for the service when it launches can find him on Twitter @garbotweets. Don't expect a response, Hallet warns.

Hallet's ambitious plans also include a national Do Not Tweet registry, which prevents people from saying anything about you on the microblogging service, and EnemyFeed, which does a similar service for a wide range of social media, including blogs.

Hallet graciously allowed me to be an early beta tester for the services. So if you never read another blog entry from me again, you'll know that it's working.

Source: PC world

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anti-Social Networking        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
Anyone else find it ironic that he's talking about his anti-social networking program on a social networking program?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Anti-Social Networking        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Ever heard of an April Fools day joke? PC world does a few every year, along with Google

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Anti-Social Networking        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:23 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
7 Ultimate 64bit
pizzaboy192 wrote:
Ever heard of an April Fools day joke? PC world does a few every year, along with Google

whats google done / doing this year?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anti-Social Networking        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:44 am 
Donator

Well it is tomorrow wait and see :P.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anti-Social Networking        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:19 am 
Donator

pizzaboy192 wrote:

Except this article was not written on april fools day, it was written on the 31st.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anti-Social Networking        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:13 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
was the writer living in the U.S?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]