BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 16h, 55m | CPU: 7% | MEM: 1891MB of 3703MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: HD-DVD Encryption broken        Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:15 am 
Donator

The AACS encryption on HD-DVDs has been cracked. YAY. :D

Quote:
BackupHDDVD is a tool to decrypt a AACS protected movie that you own, so you can play it back later using
an HDDVD player software.

Link: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=119871

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:02 am 
Personally I'm not sure this is good news at all. I really don't want to see Blu-Ray winning this format war, and if the studios see that HD-DVD has been cracked they're more likely to dump it. :(

Edit: Looks like AACS may not actually be cracked after all (yet):

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061228-8510.html

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:53 am 
Donator

With CES ahead, this circumvention method could potentially be a large embarrasement for HD-DVD supporters.

To rip a DVD you need its Decryption code, which it's not clear on how to aqquire. I'd watch this space, until he gets that built-in it's not going to be easy to use (n00b friendly).

He has claimed to have also found the disc's overarching volume key, and is preparing a BackupHDDVD update for 2 January that will allow users to extract other files from an HD DVD.

The good news is that it seems the circumvention is highly unstable. If this gets going properly it could allow Blu-Ray to take the lead, Blu-Ray being Sony's DVD format, with extra anti-piracy features which Bill Gates has claimed are not consumer friendly.

Stupid haxxor. Someone give me his address.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:13 pm 
Donator

blueray uses the same protection basicly. it will be cracked as well. but i don't like the idea of downloading a 30gb movie anyway

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]