BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 11h, 31m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5744MB of 10984MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
www.aeroxp.org wrote:
Thanks exclusively and entirely to efforts between Chris Holmes and me, we discovered that Internet Explorer 8 can be removed from at least Windows 7 build 7048, which is a good sign for regulatory overlords in the EU and in the States. Given that this change doesn’t exist in Beta 1, the odds that this change will persist through to RC are quite high. Don’t believe this can be done? Well, how about a Windows Features dialog below for proof?

There is a catch: For now, this only seems to wipe the actual executable running Internet Explorer 8 (iexplore.exe), but given that many of the most vocal proponents of choice were just looking for an option to functionally remove IE8, this might’ve been the only way to do it without killing the rest of Windows. In addition, this actually takes two reboots and a configuration step to complete, so there’s definitely something going on behind the scenes (likely a remapping of where IE-related functions can be found for other elements in Windows so that Windows doesn’t complain about IE’s nonexistence).

You can catch the steps, as well as final screenshots of the somewhat-obliterated product, after the break.

Here are some kindly-supplied screens (courtesy of Chris) and steps while we worked through to make sure this is doable:

Enter the Control Panel and look at “All Control Panel Options”
Click “Programs and Features”
In the left sidebar, click “Turn Windows Features On or Off” (you will be thrown a UAC prompt if you elevated UAC)
Wait for the list to load.
Look for Internet Explorer 8 in the list and uncheck it.
Click OK. You will see a prompt notifying you of a reboot.
The machine will reboot once, configure things, and reboot again.
Upon completing the second reboot, you will notice that Internet Explorer 8’s components are actually still in Windows. The major changes will be that IE8 will be missing from “Set Program Defaults,” Windows won’t complain about IE8 being missing, and iexplore.exe will no longer exist underneath the Internet Explorer directory even though the directory and every IE8 dependency therein will still exist.

(http://www.aeroxp.org/2009/03/ie8-funct ... removable/)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
Maybe this will head the EU off at the pass and shut them up about this new anti-trust crap (at least for now.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Luthian wrote:
Maybe this will head the EU off at the pass and shut them up about this new anti-trust crap (at least for now.)

That was (I think) the most important reason to do that. I don't really think that it is meaned for making users happy by giving them this feature (because they really want that everybody uses IE).

BTW I think that the EU mustn't have all the comments on microsoft about it. It is their software and their OS, so I think that they have to dicide what to do with it. If there are no programs on it, I don't think that users then are happy. Ofcourse, there are windows users that like firefox more, for them, this feature would be good, but I think that microsoft must have done this for that reason, not because the EU wants this (I think the EU must go on with larger issues, not with if an OS has an own browser integrated :P)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 pm 
Donator

Luthian wrote:

This feature has been in at least since XP so I doubt it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
zamadatix wrote:
Luthian wrote:

This feature has been in at least since XP so I doubt it.

Not quite. XP's 'remove IE' function simply removed the shortcuts.

The only modern Windows to allow proper removal of IE was Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (Because it was based on XP Embedded, in which IE is optional)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 pm 
Donator

It did more than remove the icons... anything that used it wouldn't work as well.

back up source http://pcsupport.about.com/od/browsers/ ... eiedef.htm

note that it says files are still there but non essential things cant use them sounds like the exact same was this article if I am not mistaken.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
zamadatix wrote:
It did more than remove the icons... anything that used it wouldn't work as well.

back up source http://pcsupport.about.com/od/browsers/ ... eiedef.htm

note that it says files are still there but non essential things cant use them sounds like the exact same was this article if I am not mistaken.

Oh, that's just denying access to IE. I was talking about if you 'removed' IE in the Add/Remove Components in XP.

Denying access is just pointless imo. Doesn't remove it, or even do anything of worth. Just prevents things from accessing it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:15 am 
Donator

you don't delete the IE, you only remove hardlinks :D The files are still present in the WinSxS folder :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Yes! No more EU (or Korean Fair Trade Commission) bothering my favorite company :D . Err.... my second favorite company :P :wink: :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:36 am 
FTP Access

I doubt that this will keep the EU off their backs; without a browser, how are you going to download a new one? They're still not compelling to the requirements either; they need to provide a selection of browsers, or to reference to others (I.e. hyperlinks to their home pages for download).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:01 pm 
Donator

You could always use command prompt to get your browser ;). I am sure they will just add the option somewhere during the setup to download which browser though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: It's possible to delete IE8 in Windows 7 build 7048        Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:07 pm 
FTP Access

Strange there is no comment or "google" to be found. Not even mentioned in MS pages, but this is also a feature of XP.

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/imageuploa ... r.1438.PNG

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]