BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 1h, 19m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 5438MB of 11719MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 pm 
FTP Access

Source: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029 ... 490,00.htm

Never thought that this will happen but Microsoft will releae a netbook edition of Windows 7 but lets hope that Microsoft will make it as good as the normal one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm 
Donator

Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Favourite OS
Windows 7 M3 (6801)
Funny, the build number is 6801...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
i wish they would make only 1 version of windows 7 ... with everything in it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:07 pm 
Donator

dans34 wrote:
i wish they would make only 1 version of windows 7 ... with everything in it

Well you know as well as anyone else that it's not going to happen. If you want an edition with all features, both media and corporate, you get Ultimate and I seriously doubt you think that everyone should get Ultimate. What they should do is tweak the three consumer editions they have, Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate down to perhaps two. The first being Standard which roughly compares to today's Home Premium and a netbook edition that is a slimmed down Home Premium but without media center, dvdburner functionality and no tablet stuff but still have Aero Glass.

Then you can have the normal enterprise editions with VLKs, domain functionality, no media functionality and whatever else an enterprise would need.

To top it off there should be an Enthusiast edition, which we already have today called Ultimate. Ultimate has literally everything albeit in slightly modified versions. You have AD functionality, IIS light, various servers, SFU as well as all the media functionality from the consumer editions.

The pricing could be as follows:

Standard: ~150€
Netbook: OEM only
Enterprise: SA only
Enthusiast: ~300€

I would gladly chuck out 300€ for the Enthuiast edition as I use both IIS and SFU extensively and I'm sure 150€ for an OS with Windows' compatibility and functionality is way reasonable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
ddew wrote:
dans34 wrote:
I would gladly chuck out 300€ for the Enthuiast edition as I use both IIS and SFU extensively and I'm sure 150€ for an OS with Windows' compatibility and functionality is way reasonable.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Whenever I order a computer the high OS cost perturbs me getting the necissary components.

Consider the alternative, with 400 USD, you could get:
    Another computer
    8 Gigs of Ram
    Best Video Card
    Much better CPU
    My rent...

Lastly,
Microsoft is know to sell to OEM copies of Windows for as little as 30 USD each...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:56 am 
Donator

Frozenport wrote:
ddew wrote:
dans34 wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Whenever I order a computer the high OS cost perturbs me getting the necissary components.

Consider the alternative, with 400 USD, you could get:
    Another computer
    8 Gigs of Ram
    Best Video Card
    Much better CPU
    My rent...

Lastly,
Microsoft is know to sell to OEM copies of Windows for as little as 30 USD each...

Well if you don't think it's worth it there are other OSes you can use that cost less for retail copies with support, like Linux and *BSD. As long as there is sufficient demand for something the prices will reflect this, goes for all commerse really. And look at it this way, how much is your better video card or faster cpu worth if you can't use it to do what you want? You can get an OS for no cost but then you'd have problems playing your games (which I presume is pretty important to you considering your focus on better gfx card and cpu). For me the initial cost of a retail license is more an investement than anything else. I bought XP on it's releasedate in 2001 and have used that on whatever my main workstation was up until 2006. That's 5 years and atleast 5 computers, the cost per year is neglible. Even at something like 500€ the cost would've been less than 10€/month and that's not a lot of money, it's like three beers or two packs of cigarettes.

Oh, by the way, when you pay 30€ for an OEM version you get zero technical support from Microsoft. That's what the high cost is for, if you can provide your own tech support you can just as well get the cheaper OEM version.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I'm really looking forward to have a Netbook With windows seven (ofcouse with aero :P)

Quote:

Really? I mean, than most people would get a almost free (if you compare it with the prises of windows vista...) copy of Windows 7! That's great!
Is microsoft driving creasy orso?
I mean, when you look for support of them on internet, you will also see that it cost a lot of mony for help. Most answers you can just find with google! (I don't do anything else when i've got a problem).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:56 pm 
Donator

Is it really worth it, considering Windows 7 Ultimate (7000) runs great on netbooks?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Hmm, Windows 7 "Netbook Edition" is cool, but if it's made specifically for netbooks it's probably Windows 7 with unneeded features/services removed along with applications for netbooks.

Anyway, how can get OEM Copies of Windows for under just $30? If so, how much would a Dell OEM CD of Windows Vista Ultimate cost(one that can installed on any system, not just for an specific system)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Actually, Microsoft sells XP and Office licences for as little as $5

See image.

and BTW, to get the really cheap large OEM COAs, you need to be a huge volume seller, or "OEM". Small time computer manufacturers get System Builder licences, which are different colors, and are more expensive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 am 
Donator

It would be much more convenient for the end user if Microsoft were to sell one, maybe two different versions of Windows (one for the business sector, one for home use) and allow users to pick and choose during installation what features they want included in Windows.
Mind you, there is much less money to be made with something like that.

How anyone can justify wasting so much money on software is beyond me, I can think of so many more important things that can be bought for that kind of money e.g. You could buy 423 litres of milk for the price of Vista Ultimate.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 "Netbook Edition"        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Bender wrote:
Actually, Microsoft sells XP and Office licences for as little as $5

-snip-

See image.

and BTW, to get the really cheap large OEM COAs, you need to be a huge volume seller, or "OEM". Small time computer manufacturers get System Builder licences, which are different colors, and are more expensive.

So they're incredibility cheap but not everyone has access to it. But the System Builder licenses aren't too expensive, still cheaper than retail

[offtopic]I noticed that in the above link, that Windows Vista Ultimate for System Builders cost $20 less than the one with SP1[/offtopic]

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]