BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 23h, 28m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5625MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Multiple Windows 7 Versions on the way :( (Rumor)        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:15 am 
FTP Access

So, it looks like there could be multiple versions of Windows 7 after all. Close to the amount of versions there were for Vista...personally, I don't think they should do it.

Go here for the Engadget version...
Go here for the Translated Page version with extra pictures...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Multiple Windows 7 Versions on the way :( (Rumor)        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 am 
Donator

Gotta love google translate:
Quote:
RT, no other meaning, it is necessary to throw rotten eggs, you throw it on

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multiple Windows 7 Versions on the way :( (Rumor)        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
SKU information for Windows 7 hasn't been finalized yet, all that has even been mentioned is that there will be Ultimate, Home Premium, and Business equivalent versions, none of the feature inclusions have been confirmed, and the names are still subject to change. This is one of those wait and see kind of things.
(Keep in mind that any Starter equivalent version should be excluded as it won't even be sold in developed countries)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multiple Windows 7 Versions on the way :( (Rumor)        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:55 am 
FTP Access

I don't see what's new?

We've pretty much known that Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium (actually, we know this SKU is going to offered without a doubt), Windows 7 Business (I think it might be renamed Windows 7 Professional), and Windows 7 Ultimate are going to released.

Windows 7 Starter edition is NOT new, contrary to what I've seen on other forums. It's a version that dates back to XP, and is still there with Windows Vista. The only version I don't see in that SKU list is Windows 7 Enterprise. Perhaps they dropped it? I always saw a bit of a redundancy between Business and Enterprise, except with Business being the [censored] child of Enterprise. The only thing I can think of that you miss out with Business is the Bitlocker, so hopefully that will be added to Windows 7 Business.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multiple Windows 7 Versions on the way :( (Rumor)        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 pm 
FTP Access

Enterprise was always on a separate DVD for Vista so that would explain why it's not here - this is just the list you get if you don't enter a key and it asks you to choose an edition, they just haven't changed the editions yet so it's not really anything much - though I expect them to stick with largely the same editions - Home Basic could go as it's barely any cheaper than Premium and by the time 7 is out all PCs will support the Premium features, but Home, Business and Both makes a lot of sense to me.

By the way, I think this time they're probably real but I would treat "PCBETA" screenshots with a lot of caution, they have had some very bad fakes before like that one that was supposedly an email from MS written in very bad English.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Multiple Windows 7 Versions on the way :( (Rumor)        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:55 pm 
FTP Access

I expect them to keep Basic.

I really never thought MS only made it available for PCs that didn't support Aero, as by the time Vista was released, all laptops/desktops supported Aero (new ones of course). At the time, the GMA950 was the lowest integrated GPU in new laptops/desktops.

Instead, I saw Basic as a way for OEM manufacturers to keep the price of their cheap Wal-Mart computers down (even 30 bucks can make the difference between the computer being 399 or breaking 400 bucks). Meanwhile, it benefited MS with the Anytime Upgrade. I really doubt most people who bought a computer with Vista used the Anytime Upgrade to go from Home Premium to Ultimate, but rather from Basic to Home Premium. I also think MS makes more money from Anytime Upgrade. I think to go from Basic to Home Premium is 79 bucks, which is a rip since the OEM price difference is only like 30 or 40 bucks. So MS makes an extra 30 or 40 bucks (probably more, since OEM manufacturers probably get their keys at a lower price then we can get OEM licenses).

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]