BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 23h, 23m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5616MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows 7 Beta vs. Windows Vista SP1        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:12 am 

Windows 7 is 30% faster than Windows Vista. Tested with PCMark Vantage.

Last edited by codenamepenryn on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven Beta vs. Windows Vista SP1        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Just so you know, for future reference, it's "Windows 7", not "Windows Seven".
But yeah, these benchmarks aren't surprising to say the least. What I want to see is a more direct comparison with XP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Beta vs. Windows Vista SP1        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:06 am 
Donator

if anyones dual booting xp and 7 do do the test i want to see how well Microsoft has been able to make its OS more efficient even as better computers have come out and more windows features.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Beta vs. Windows Vista SP1        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 am 
FTP Access

Test it also with VIsta SP2, which is much faster.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Beta vs. Windows Vista SP1        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:40 am 
FTP Access

I could tell right away that Windows 7 was much faster then my Vista machine. In fact, I plan on putting Windows 7 on that machine :)

What I thought funny was that on one of our laptops, we could never get the wireless working correctly with Vista, but once we put Windows 7 on it, Windows update caught it right away and installed the driver...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Beta vs. Windows Vista SP1        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4051
There was a comparitive test done with XP vs Vista vs 7 already, which was purely timing of boot, opening documents, installing and launching apps etc.

7 won all but like 3 of the 20-odd categories didn't it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Beta vs. Windows Vista SP1        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:27 pm 
Donator

i thought it was only vista and 7 in that test, and it appears ive lost the link too :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Beta vs. Windows Vista SP1        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:50 pm 
FTP Access

PCMark Vantage and 3DMark Vantage do not work with XP, they are exclusive to Vista (and apparently 7) in order to keep the results database relevent to like systems and because XP doesnt have the required functionality to run most of the tests. Older versions of 3DMark and PCMark have issues with Vista so doing a comparison with those is pretty pointless too. You'd need to find a compatible suite (unlikely) or several individual tools (more likely) to run a direct comparison between XP and Windows 7. Maybe HDTach & Everest for most system components and file system benchmarks, its graphics benchmarking that may prove a sticking point.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]