BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 16h, 25m | CPU: 1% | MEM: 1858MB of 3189MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: VMWare for Mac and VMWare 6.0 BETA        Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:47 am 
Donator

VMWare have just launched the beta for a Mac OSX application that will allow Macs to run x86 operating systems, e.g. Windows or Linux at the same time as Mac OSX, codenamed Fusion.

VMWare have also lauched the beta program for VMWare Workstation 6.0.

In the beta you can use Windows Vista as host operating system and You can configure a VM to span multiple monitors, or multiple VMs to each display on separate monitors.

Download the VMWare Workstation 6.0 Beta from here
Download Fusion (VMWare for Mac) here

Source: I just got these in my inbox:

Quote:
Fusion - Desktop Virtualization for Mac Beta Program

Dear Andrew,

We are excited to announce that the Fusion beta program is now live.
Fusion is the codename for a new VMware desktop product for Mac that will enable Intel-based Macs to run x86 operating systems, such as Windows and Linux, in virtual machines at the same time as Mac OS X. It is built on VMware's robust and advanced desktop virtualization platform that is used by over four million users today. You can find detailed information about this new VMware product, answers to frequently asked questions, links to download the product, release notes, etc. at:

*Removed*

We ask that you give us candid feedback on the software and documentation.

We also have a discussion forum where you can interact with the product team and other beta users to discuss product features, post questions, exchange tips and tricks.

With Fusion you can now run any of the over 360 virtual appliances available at the Virtual Appliance Marketplace on your Mac. Virtual appliances are pre-built and pre-configured applications bundled with an operating system so they can run on any hardware or operating system.

Best regards,
The VMware Fusion Team

Quote:
We are pleased to invite you to the VMware Workstation 6.0 Beta Program. Workstation 6.0 includes exciting new features, including:

Support for Windows Vista - Use Windows Vista as host operating system

Multiple monitor display - You can configure a VM to span multiple monitors, or multiple VMs to each display on separate monitors.

Integrated Virtual Debugger - Workstation integrates with Visual Studio and Eclipse so you can deploy, run, and debug programs in a VM directly from your preferred IDE.

Automation APIs (VIX API 2.0) - You can write scripts and programs to automate VM testing.

Headless mode - You can run VMs in the background without the Workstation UI You can find detailed information on new features, answers to frequently asked questions, links to download the product, release notes, etc. at:

*Removed*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:22 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
These files will also be on the FTP soon.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:04 pm 
Donator

Just gave VMware Fusion a try on my dual-core Intel Mac.

It seems to run pretty good for a beta, hasn't crashed yet (I had tried an older, private beta a long time ago and it crashed all the time, kernel panics all over and over). An interesting feature is that a VM can have more than 1 CPU if the host features more than 1 as well. I was running the VM with two CPUs on my dual-core box.

One thing to note: It runs substantially slower than Parallels Desktop, probably due to all the debug code and stuff. Parallels, which is a bit further in development, pretty much flies on an Intel Mac (as long as there's enough RAM).

But VMware Fusion has a few goodies that Parallels doesn't have (yet): USB 2.0 support, Virtual SMP support and direct access to some built-in hardware such as Bluetooth and the iSight (the webcam) – but I didn't try this, will hopefully try it out sometime...

Now, enough words. Rather some impressive screenshots (beware, they are pretty large):

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:09 pm 
Thanks for the pictures but how fast is it compared to Parallels or the older VM Fusion beta? I know it uses both cores and Parallels doesn't but it is still possible that Parallels is faster because of all the time it had to polish off it's app.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:50 pm 
Donator

It is noticably slower than Parallels. For example, take the boot-up of Windows XP. On Parallels, you can barely even see the boot screen. On Fusion, the bar does its way multiple times until it switches to the login screen. I can't say anything about the older Fusion beta because I couldn't get it to work. It crashed so often, often causing kernel panics that I couldn't get an OS installed and so I ditched it.

As for the performance: The fact that Fusion can use multiple cores/CPUs in a VM is not significant when judging performance, at least not yet. Parallels can also use more than one core/CPU, but only one is available in a VM, unlike with Fusion.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]