BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 18h, 7m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 6646MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35 pm 
Administrator

I've seen a lot of you members uploading stuff to BA. Great! And many thanks to you all for providing great releases!

However one thing bugs me. When do I know when an upload is complete? When do I know if an upload is 100% error-free and identical to the one you got on your drive? I don't.

This is why you people need to include a checksum file with your uploads! The checksum file will tell me a lot of things. It will allow me to check if an upload is completed. It will allow me to check if the upload (which may be completed) is really properly uploaded (a lot of things can go bad during an upload, things you can't notice unless you count the bytes yourself).

From now on I will ignore any upload that hasn't been bundled with a checksum file. I will allow a release to be uploaded in a ZIP, RAR or 7z file.. The archive itself will let me know if the upload is complete, since otherwise I'll get an error during unpack. You don't have to bundle a checksum file if you zip, rar or 7z it up. Some member uploaded a rar file with the checksum file INSIDE, which was pretty hilarious, since that made the checksum file reduntant.

Anyway, I prefer MD5 checksums. They don't suffer the 32bit problems CRC32 has, and they are also more accurate. You can also make a small PAR2-set out of the files and send that up as well. ANY way is good as long as I can verify that everything reached BA.

Recap: I will ignore and eventually delete any file that isn't in an archive (ZIP, RAR, 7z) or that doesn't come bundled with a checksum file (MD5, PAR2). If you upload anything exotic then please include a textfile explaining what it is.

Thanks a lot!

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:26 am 
Donator

This also should solve many other problems that annoy people.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:57 am 
FTP Access

It's still important to make sure most ISOs from Microsoft have a proper AutoCRC checksum. Those solve many problems with errors on burning plus shows you have a genuine release

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:58 am 
FTP Access

There is a functionality added called adding '(finished)' after your uploadfolder.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
dexter152 wrote:
There is a functionality added called adding '(finished)' after your uploadfolder.

That doesn't really mean anything, for all the uploader knows the upload could have still been corrupted whist uploading or if their internet connection was disrupted it may have became corrupt while resuming.....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:48 am 
FTP Access

How the F... could you make a MD5 checksum?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:50 am 
Administrator

First of all watch your language... replacing the word with dots doesn't make it more proper...

Second, you can use any application that creates md5 checksums out of files. Or you make a small par2-set using quickpar and upload. I don't have any specific MD5 application examples because I am using Total Commander (which has this feature built in) and also a command line tool I coded specifically to aid me with BA and TBG files. Or just rar up the files and add a "-finished" to the folder when it's done. The rar itself will tell me if the file has errors.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:16 pm 
FTP Access

I can't use the interface of Total Commander :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I personally recommend using Hashtab, if like me, a GUI wins over CLI any day :P

Edit: Andy, any chance of the uploader supporting transparent PNGs? At least on the full resolution image, since that no longer reduces quality?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Cool!

[off-topic]
I also saw a tab for ICON view or something, does anybody know it?
[/off-topic]

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:04 am 
Administrator

hounsell wrote:
I personally recommend using Hashtab, if like me, a GUI wins over CLI any day :P

Great! Thanks for the tip, have been actually looking for one of these apps and even wanted to code one, but now I don't have to. =)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:22 am 
Donator

I prefer HashCheck ( http://www.ktechcomputing.com/hashcheck/ ).

Last year I also made this suggestion, because some files were damaged. Great that is now required when uploading files.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:02 am 
FTP Access

Hmmm, that one of Luckie is better than that one of TotalCMD and HashTab (H) .

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:53 pm 
FTP Access

mrpijey wrote:
Or just rar up the files and add a "-finished" to the folder when it's done.

That means I may add '(finished)' behind the folder instead of including a checksum file with the upload?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
dexter152 wrote:
mrpijey wrote:
Or just rar up the files and add a "-finished" to the folder when it's done.

That means I may add '(finished)' behind the folder instead of including a checksum file with the upload?

Just include the checksum file, it's only a few bytes (takes about <1 seconds to upload).
And mrpijey is sure then that the file is OK.

And add FINISHED if you are done with it.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:00 pm 
FTP Access

Do you need to create it on your computer and upload it after you uploaded your files?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
hounsell wrote:

thanks for that link , will help me vertify files upload to my server

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:22 am 
Donator

Sorry for the bump, but how do you make a checksum file?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Hashtab (Google It)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:12 am 
Administrator

There are many applications and ways you can make checksum files. One way is using the application mentioned by merty. The applications I use are QuickSFV and the built in function in Total Commander. But HashTab seems like a capable application so I suggest you go with it.

With the next BetaArchive release I will be uploading a few tools some member has assembled for us. With those tools will be a few applications to make checksum files as well as parity files. That way BA members can get the tools directly from us. Be sure to update me if there are updates to the applications since I won't be checking for new versions every week :).

As for checksumming tools I will upload the following applications:

FSum: MD5 Checksum calculation and verification utility. Runs under win32. Good for scripting checksums.
HashTab 3.0: The application mentioned by merty. I've included both Win and Mac versions. Creates MD5, SHA1, SHA2, RipeMD, HAVAL and Whirlpool hashes.
QuickPar 0.9.1: Not so much a checksumming tool but creates parity files. Parity files can be used to verify the consistency of a set of files as well. I use par2-files as a recovery backup solution.
par2cmdline: Same kind of app as above, but for win32 command line use. Perfect for scripting parity file creations or verifications.
QuickSFV 2.36: Verifies checksum files. Supports a lot of formats including MD5, CRC32 and others. 32bit and 64bit Windows editions included.

If anyone got any other tools to recommend then please upload them and I'll add them. Remember that I have not tried all these tools so I can't guarantee they will work with every system configuration.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4 (14.098b_W4)
Just a heads up, the Hash Tab link mentioned earlier is permanently down and the website it was previously hosted on, beeblebrox.org, redirects to this site which has Hash Tab:

Hash Tab New Download Link

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
why do i need checksum files?

WINDOWS COLLECTOR
BetaArchive Advanced Member

Offtopic Comment
BetaArchive is AMAZING!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:36 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
abcd1234a wrote:
why do i need checksum files?

Did you really just ask that question? Did you BOTHER to read the topic at all?

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NeXTStep/OpenStep
There's also my own written HashGenerator (http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=23365). It can generate MD5 and SHA256 Checksums. CRC/MD5/SHA1 should not be used since it they have known weaknesses [1],[2].

SHA256 is a good alg.
Always use the newest version of HashGenerator.

SHA256 chksums are also used by the FreeBSD makers.

[1] http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5#Collision_vulnerabilities

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The importance of including checksum files...        Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3 XFS 12/94
marmmm wrote:
CRC/MD5/SHA1 should not be used since it they have known weaknesses [1],[2].

MD5/SHA1 weaknesses are serious issues for tasks like hashing passwords, where an attacker invests time into finding a collision, but that's probably not a suitable scenario for the contents of a regular upload

Top  Profile