BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 18h, 34m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 5093MB of 11129MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:23 am 
Donator

jabster wrote:
mrpijey wrote:
My point being is that Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 can all be installed without a serial and run in trial mode until you are forced to either register or dump it. It makes it kind of shareware where you have to pay to continue using it, but you can try it for a limited time. This should make the ISO:s practically free for distribution. I am going to ask Microsoft and see what their policy is regarding this.

I recently e-mailed Microsoft Online Customer Service with some questions on what their policys and copyright laws were on various things, here's what they had to say about that:
Quote:
This would be considered to be a breach of the license terms of the EULA/MSLT if you’re talking about an ISO/image created from a deployed fully licensed version of the software. Microsoft has released an evaluation 30 day trial of Windows Vista Enterprise (which is available for download here); if a customer wants to evaluate Vista they should do via the provided trial software.

On most of my question's he refered to the EULA, which I read a while back, basically everything on the server is illegal as the creation and distribution of those ISO's is a violation of the EULA...

*Not that we should stop this whole thing just because its illegal, if MS wanted us finished it would've happened a long time ago.

But then if you read the reply from MS Online Customer Service, didn't they state there's Vista Enterprise trial? Where is it? And does Vista Enterprise functionality are the same as the one customers always use? I thought it's different and it's not even included in the retail disc.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:26 am 
Donator

He was referring to a VHD trial of Windows Vista Enterprise available here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:29 am 
Donator

jabster wrote:
He was referring to a VHD trial of Windows Vista Enterprise available here.

But then, Vista experiences might be difference when running VHD and on real hardwares, not to mention extra RAM needed to run the VHD and no full UI experience too.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:33 am 
Donator

In theory, wouldn't it be possible to sysprep the VHD, then WIM it into an installation disk?
(I would have tried a long time ago if I had enough RAM to run a Vista VHD)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:45 am 
Donator

jabster wrote:
In theory, wouldn't it be possible to sysprep the VHD, then WIM it into an installation disk?
(I would have tried a long time ago if I had enough RAM to run a Vista VHD)

But for normal user, sysprep is not an option when it's coming to evaluating Vista. They probably won't even know about WAIK and sysprep.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:28 am 
Administrator

Since this thread has outlived its purposes I am closing it. The old archive is offline and will be eventually incorporated into the main archive.

Thread closed

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3