BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 20h, 0m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 5798MB of 10994MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 PostPost subject: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:41 pm 
Administrator

Andy and I have been talking about the old BA archive, the folder named "Old Archive". I have been adding new releases all the time now, and I am cleaning out the old archive as I go. But there are still a lot of stuff in the archive I can't identify, and there is also a lot of stuff that is not good for BA to host, such as hacked and cracked versions of certain apps. Because of this we have decided to remove the folder from public view. I will continue "salvage" whatever I can and add it to the public collection until I run out of releases.

This means that the Old Archive folder will only be available until this Sunday - that's right, Sunday, January 25th. After that no one will be able to access it. If you want stuff from it you better get it now because after Sunday it will be too late.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:50 pm 
FTP Access

*looking sad*

Maybe an idea to move all abandonaded stuff like Windows 3.11 in de Abandonware folder or something. Because there is some great stuff in it which you can't find somewhere in 1-2-3. But ok, its your and Andy decision, and if that is your decision. I'll have to accept that, so I dind't say anything..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 pm 
Administrator

I guess you didn't see todays abandonware releases or the posts I made earlier... Windows 3.11 was among them, along with a lot of other stuff :).

We are not deleting the folder (yet). I will still add whatever I can from it, but there is a lot of questionable content in there that we really don't want available in public. And I am not moving anything to the new collection until it's been checked, verified and repacked. After the abandonware releases I made today a LOT will be cleaned out from the old archive.

And if any member has any specific examples of what must stay and be added to the public collection please let me know and I'll take a look at it. I have been randomly going out to members with help to sort out the old stuff, but no one has been interested.

This is why we give members a last chance to get the stuff they want. The old archive has been online all the time, so plenty time for people to grab things.

Remember that BA isn't some underground site anymore where we can keep some "illegal" stuff in the open. I already got some not so friendly remarks about the "questionable content" on BA, which is why we need to deal with it.

So, give me specific ideas to what to keep. Or I'll go through it myself and add whatever I and Andy feels should be kept. As for the rest? We don't know yet...

(and really, there is a lot of _crap_ in the old archive too. Stuff that takes up space and fills no purpose anymore. Broken stuff. Useless stuff that someone started on but never finished. Unknown stuff.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:09 pm 
FTP Access

What you could delete from there straight away are these CCleaner, Paint.NET and VMware .EXE releases. They use unneeded space, are useless most don't work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:12 pm 
Donator

I forget, are there still going to be ISO's of RTM Vista, or is that a bit too much of a moral grey area?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:17 pm 
Administrator

Since Microsoft offers evaluation editions of Vista we could in a sense host Vista, Windows Server 2008 and eventually Windows 7 here without any serials etc. I have been thinking about it a lot. However I don't really see the point since Microsoft still has them readily. And once these products enters the grey area "abandonware" we'll add them anyway. So why should BA waste bandwidth and space when Microsoft already does this for us? With far greater speed and resources than BA? Space is at a premium, and costs quite a lot. And if we add one edition we would have to add them all. Which means even more space is wasted, and the releases are not betas or abandonware, nor are they SDK:s or anything alike. So they really have no place on BA in the first place.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:50 am 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
Since Microsoft offers evaluation editions of Vista we could in a sense host Vista, Windows Server 2008 and eventually Windows 7 here without any serials etc. I have been thinking about it a lot. However I don't really see the point since Microsoft still has them readily. And once these products enters the grey area "abandonware" we'll add them anyway. So why should BA waste bandwidth and space when Microsoft already does this for us? With far greater speed and resources than BA? Space is at a premium, and costs quite a lot. And if we add one edition we would have to add them all. Which means even more space is wasted, and the releases are not betas or abandonware, nor are they SDK:s or anything alike. So they really have no place on BA in the first place.

But I thought that only Windows Server 2008 and (eventually) Windows 7 hosted on Microsoft server, but not Windows Vista? It's been hard (at least for me) to find a working evaluation for Vista on Microsoft server so that my friend could try the 30 days evaluation. Did I miss something?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Not to worry, friends, I am going to download the entire archive and put it on a backup drive, and then, I will make a private server for all of you. Its about 81GB, but, its worth keeping. Remember, when I put my FTP up, if the password leaks, I might have to close it. Keep the password SECRET!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:59 am 
Donator

Oh well, everything has a beginning and an end. There was some really nice stuff in there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:10 am 
FTP Access

FarCry3r wrote:
But I thought that only Windows Server 2008 and (eventually) Windows 7 hosted on Microsoft server, but not Windows Vista? It's been hard (at least for me) to find a working evaluation for Vista on Microsoft server so that my friend could try the 30 days evaluation. Did I miss something?

I think they only have virtual hard drive evaluations of Vista, not full ISOs like for Server 2008. You can use any Vista disc and install without a key for a trial copy though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:24 am 
Donator

They only have VHDs of Vista Enterprise only.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:28 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
FarCry3r wrote:

I think they only have virtual hard drive evaluations of Vista, not full ISOs like for Server 2008. You can use any Vista disc and install without a key for a trial copy though.

Thinking back about it, Microsoft really hate Vista too. :cry:

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Yeah, I vote for us keeping the RTM ISOs of Vista. When I changed over to 64-bit, for some reason Microsoft wouldn't send me the 64-bit disc with their official $10 disc replacement program with my Connect key, so I had to download the ISO from here and it worked great. Really helped me out.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:22 am 
Donator

I vote keep them, what if someone scratches a disc or needs to know how to structure a AIO Vista Disc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:50 am 
Donator

Windows OCManage wrote:
I vote keep them, what if someone scratches a disc or needs to know how to structure a AIO Vista Disc.

I vote for it too... You'll never know when the disc will start it's problem... better have a backup somewhere...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:42 am 
Donator

I'm not psyched either way, but there is a pretty neat ISO on the server that contains both 32 and 64 bit Vista that is pretty useful.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:40 am 
Administrator

My point being is that Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 can all be installed without a serial and run in trial mode until you are forced to either register or dump it. It makes it kind of shareware where you have to pay to continue using it, but you can try it for a limited time. This should make the ISO:s practically free for distribution. I am going to ask Microsoft and see what their policy is regarding this.

motherboardlove: Remember that there is a lot of abandonware and stuff in that archive. I will still sort things out and remove duplicates etc. So it's not like everything as it is now will disappear forever. And I will keep releasing stuff from it until I really can't release anymore. And that will be far less than the 80GB stuff. So don't worry :). The core reason we want to remove the old archive is because of all the hacked editions of retail software which puts BA (and anyone that hosts it) in direct jeopardy of legal issues. Yes I know that abandonware is still "warez" in a sense, but having a hacked Windows XP or retail software with included cracks or serials openly available is far worse than 10 year old software.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Quote:
But there are still a lot of stuff in the archive I can't identify

Can you please make a folder for the Office versions? I really like to have them and I think i'm not the only one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm 
FTP Access

So if I understand it right not every single file in the Old Archive folder will be perm. deleted?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:23 pm 
Donator

dexter152 wrote:
So if I understand it right not every single file in the Old Archive folder will be perm. deleted?

Yes, that's what mrpijey was trying to told us from the beginning. Only hacked/cracked/easy-to-obtain stuffs are removed.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
FarCry3r wrote:
dexter152 wrote:

Yes, that's what mrpijey was trying to told us from the beginning. Only hacked/cracked/easy-to-obtain stuffs are removed.

Thanks. Sorry for my pointless question than :oops:.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
motherboardlove wrote:
Not to worry, friends, I am going to download the entire archive and put it on a backup drive, and then, I will make a private server for all of you. Its about 81GB, but, its worth keeping. Remember, when I put my FTP up, if the password leaks, I might have to close it. Keep the password SECRET!

Can someone download them all and put them on a private FTP? I'm in my 3rd house, and its bandwidth is capped.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:02 pm 
FTP Access

How many houses do you have 8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
dexter152 wrote:
How many houses do you have 8-)

Depends on the definition. The ones I actually live in, is 7.
The 8th is for my proxy server and web server.

BTW - isnt this a bit offtopic?

And no, I am not John McCain or Cindy McCain or etc. etc.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Ye olde archive is about to expire!        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:30 pm 
FTP Access

motherboardlove wrote:
And no, I am not John McCain or Cindy McCain or etc. etc.

Your Barack Obama!

[/offtopic]

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next