BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 12h, 53m | CPU: 7% | MEM: 5960MB of 11177MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 pm 
Administrator

I have decided to upload my collection of Macintosh abandonware, all the way from Mac OS 1.1 to OS X 10.2 and OS X Server 1.0. I know some of you have asked for OSX stuff, but considering the age of some newer OSX releases I will only release up to 10.2... for now. Once Snow Leopard (10.5) is released I will send up 10.3 as well. 10.4 is still too new to be considered abandoned, same goes with OSX Server 1.1 and newer.

The releases I will release is as follows, and they are all "abandonware", no betas:

Code:
Apple Mac OS 1.1
Apple Mac OS 2.0
Apple Mac OS 3.0
Apple Mac OS 3.2
Apple Mac OS 4.0
Apple Mac OS 4.1
Apple Mac OS 4.2
Apple Mac OS 4.3
Apple Mac OS 6.0
Apple Mac OS 6.0.3
Apple Mac OS 6.0.5
Apple Mac OS 6.0.7 (Swedish)
Apple Mac OS 6.0.8
Apple Mac OS 7.0
Apple Mac OS 7.0 [Swedish]
Apple Mac OS 7.0.1
Apple Mac OS 7.1
Apple Mac OS 7.1 (LC III) [Swedish]
Apple Mac OS 7.5
Apple Mac OS 7.5.3
Apple Mac OS 7.5.5
Apple Mac OS 7.6
Apple Mac OS 7.6.1
Apple Mac OS 7.6.1 [Swedish]
Apple Mac OS 8.0
Apple Mac OS 8.1
Apple Mac OS 8.5
Apple Mac OS 8.5 (alt)
Apple Mac OS 8.5.1 (BW G3)
Apple Mac OS 8.6
Apple Mac OS 9.0
Apple Mac OS 9.0 [Swedish]
Apple Mac OS 9.0.4
Apple Mac OS 9.1
Apple Mac OS 9.2.1
Apple Mac OS 9.2.2
Apple Mac OS 9.2.2 (DVD)
Apple Mac OS 9.2.2 (eMac)
Apple Mac OS 9.2.2 (PowerBook G4)
Apple Mac OS 9.2.2 (PowerMac G4)
Apple Mac OS X 10.0 (4K78)
Apple Mac OS X 10.0.3
Apple Mac OS X 10.0.4 (4S10) [PowerMac G4 1.1]
Apple Mac OS X 10.1 (5G64)
Apple Mac OS X 10.2 (6C115)
Apple Mac OS X Server 1.0
BeOS 4.5

The list will change before the final release onto the FTP, some releases might be added, some might be removed.

These are as named on my server, but I will rename them to fit BA standards.

If anyone has any issues regarding this, or if anyone has any releases I don't have please contact me so I can add them to the collection. It will take some time before I make this release (got tons of Win7 to upload among other stuff), so there's plenty of time for additions.

Note: Some of you wanted to release betas of OSx86 hacks such as iATKOS etc. These will never be accepted onto the BA server because of

1. They are modifications of retail OSX builds, all of them meant primarily to go around the machine protection system Apple included to prevent OSX running on non-Apple hardware, secondarily to add custom/hacked drivers to allow OSX to run on hardware Apple never intended OSX to run on. We don't add warez, and absolutely not cracked ones.
  2. They are custom modifications. Period. We don't add hacks and modifications regardless of how unique they are, none of them are originals from the company that made the OS. If Microsoft made a "hack" of Windows we would add it. If you made one we won't.

Suggestions, recommendations, complaints or whatever is welcome until I make a release. =)

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:52 pm 
Donator

*drool!* Oh my, I think I'm in heaven! Thank you so very much!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Cool! Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Thank you so much mrpijey, it's much appreciated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:20 am 
FTP Access

Thanks, would love to see some of the earlier versions, there isn't much on them. On another note, has anyone every seen a copy of Mac OS 5 it was released, albeit for a short time, about a year, yet it is almost nonexistant, I've never seen 1 copy on ebay or anywhere.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:41 am 
FTP Access

From what I remember elder OSes don't work on x86, but on PowerPC. Is it correct?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
pkubaj wrote:
From what I remember elder OSes don't work on x86, but on PowerPC. Is it correct?

Yes you are indeed correct, the elder Mac OSes ran on 68k (Up to Mac OS 8.1) and on PowerPC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Thank you mrpijey, that's great :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:12 pm 
FTP Access

Rixel wrote:
On another note, has anyone every seen a copy of Mac OS 5 it was released, albeit for a short time, about a year, yet it is almost nonexistant, I've never seen 1 copy on ebay or anywhere.

:)

At least I assume these are Mac OS 5.0, it was somewhat confusing that the System and Finder had different version numbers back in these days and both version numbers were given - apparently 5.0 was the first to have a unified version number but then according to MacTracker 5.0 had System 4.2 and Finder 6.0, very confusing - I assume this set of disks is therefore what we would call "Mac OS 5.0".

By the way, if you're interested in the very early Mac OS versions, OS 0.85 is another interesting one - someone extracted this from the bootable Guided Tour disk that was supplied with the first Macintosh (which shipped with OS 1.0 as it's OS, but the tour disk was clearly prepared earlier using a pre-release version and by default it boots straight into the tour so you don't see this OS but someone managed to make it into a standalone OS):

About the Finder, dated around a month before OS 1.0 and the original Macintosh became available.

Note the Mac icons show a 5.25" drive on the front of them, whereas all released Macs had 3.5" drives.

The Scrapbook application - in OS 1.0 this had some text on the first page telling you how to use it, and there were a few sample images on the next few pages.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:07 am 
FTP Access

Dear God...It's beautiful *cries*

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:00 am 
Administrator

Yeah, looks great! Would it be possible for an upload to complete the collection further?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:51 am 
FTP Access

I was going through my list of Mac OS versions, I was thinking while going thru to see if there were any interesting versions, a few were quickly pulled from distrobution, so it would be interesting to see if anyone has these:
6.0.6- Pulled due to an AppleTalk bug
1.0 -(incorrectly labelled .97)
7.5.4 - Quickly pulled due to bug
10.2.7 - Pulled due to bug, did get put onto discs for Powermac g5, albook g4
Also thought i'd mention Rhapsody 5.2 which is rumored to exist within Apple but never available to public or Developers

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:34 am 
Administrator

mrpijey wrote:
Yeah, looks great! Would it be possible for an upload to complete the collection further?

Quoting myself here... After doing some lurking on my harddrive I actually found System 5.0 and 5.1. I have no means to verify them at the moment, but I will add them to the collection. If any of you find them to be wrongfully labeled then I'll adjust the release.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Thanks, Are they any emulators that any one here knows about that I can run Mac OS X 10.2 on,

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:42 pm 
Administrator

Only one I can think of is PearPC, but it's slow and development has stopped. Never tried to run 10.2 on it tho. I know 10.3 and 10.4 works on it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:11 pm 
Donator

10.2 does work on PearPC, I tried it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
mrpijey wrote:
Only one I can think of is PearPC, but it's slow and development has stopped. Never tried to run 10.2 on it tho. I know 10.3 and 10.4 works on it.

I think it would work. I've tried 10.1 on PearPC and it works fine. Couldn't get the internet working, however.

Thanks for the upload, mrpijey!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:50 am 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
Once Snow Leopard (10.5) is released I will send up 10.3 as well. 10.4 is still too new to be considered abandoned, same goes with OSX Server 1.1 and newer.

I don't mean to nitpick, but Snow Leopard is 10.6.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:14 am 
Administrator

Yeah, a small typo :P.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm 
FTP Access

XX55XX wrote:
I've tried 10.1 on PearPC and it works fine. Couldn't get the internet working, however.

10.1 is the oldest one that will run on pearPC, yes. I did have the internet working on an old PC a few years ago with 10.4 and it should be the same for old versions but it isn't particulr easy, you have to install an "OpenVPN" network driver on the host machine and it goes through that, there should be some instructions around somewhere - I haven't bothered to set it up since though.

empireum wrote:
10.2 does work on PearPC, I tried it.

10.2 client works; however I seem to remember trying 10.2 Server and it crashing before it was fully installed. PearPC seems more fussy about the server editions for some reason; 10.3 Server works but 10.2 and 10.4 don't seem to, and I haven't yet found a copy of 10.1 Server to try with.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:26 pm 
Administrator

All the Mac OS abandonware has been released now. If anyone has any really old Mac abandonware (games, apps, OS etc that isn't in my collection) in floppy image formats please send them up so I can add them to the collection. Thanks and have fun! :P.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:59 am 
Donator

mrpijey, What exactly is the difference between the OS 9.2.2 DVD and CD?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:01 am 
Administrator

The DVD is a multilanguage one. It contains installers for several localized versions of OS 9.2.2 I believe.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:07 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2, can you upload OS 5?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Huge Mac update on its way...        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:19 am 
Administrator

I added 5.0 and 5.1 to the collection. But I would be happy to see if Vista Ultimate R2's version might be a different one.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next