BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 14d, 13h, 49m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5354MB of 11711MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity

Quote:
CES 32GB SDHC cards too small for you? How about 2TB? That's what the SDXC memory card format is designed to deliver.

Announced today at CES, the XC - for 'eXtended Capacity', but what's wrong with EC? - the format also ups read and write speeds to 104MB/s. The SD Association - the organisation that oversees the SD card standard - said it's looking to up the data-transfer rate to 300MB/s.

The format used Microsoft's exFAT - aka FAT 64 - file system. exFAT was introduced with Windows CE 6.0, and appeared in Vista in Service Pack 1.

The SDXC spec will be published later this quarter, and the SDA implied that existing specificiations, including SDIO and SDHC, would be updated to support the higher data throughput.

There's no word on when SDXC-compatible devices and cards will go on sale. Not until the end of the year, we'd say - and the cards won't be cheap when they do. ®

Source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/07 ... _launched/

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 pm 
Donator

i guess i won't need a harddrive then. :|

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:53 am 
Donator

I don't think that will be in my price range...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:32 am 
Donator

I hope those cards are networked, I wouldn't need to worry about hard drives ;)

Seriously, besides storing the DNA of everyone i like, what could I use this for!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:22 am 
Donator

I rather buy that core i7 extreme with 2 SLI / CrrossfireX graphic cards than this 2TB card.

How reliable is this card and most computers don't support exFAT. Compatibility is an issue with macs, linux and older networks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:28 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
XDude wrote:
I rather buy that core i7 extreme with 2 SLI / CrrossfireX graphic cards than this 2TB card.

How reliable is this card and most computers don't support exFAT. Compatibility is an issue with macs, linux and older networks.

I'm pretty sure its the OS that has to support it, not the actual PC. Vista with SP1 supports it, so you should be fine.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:15 pm 
Donator

But I'm still on XP Professional SP3! :P
I think they will develop support for it when exFAT when it becomes popular.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:35 pm 
Donator

Doubt it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
Link

it seems sony's jumped on this bandwagon as well, imagine 2TB on a PSP!

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:48 pm 
FTP Access

XDude wrote:
But I'm still on XP Professional SP3! :P
I think they will develop support for it when exFAT when it becomes popular.

According to user experiments, exFAT formatted drives can be fully used also on Windows XP/2003 systems, by copying two files (uexfat.dll and exfat.sys) from an existing installation into the corresponding folder of Windows XP/2003

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:24 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Unofficial exFat patch ahoy

Looks good, I'd like to know what devices would support it.

And the price. That's a dreading thought

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm 
FTP Access

I bought a 32 GB USB Flash Drive in november last year which at the time did not seem to work when formated as a FAT32 drive(files used to get corrupted) so I just threw it away since it was a duplicate (anyone who has been to India should understand it to be a chinese product) but when i read this article I thought that I should try to format it as exFAT and to my surprise it works but still the drive sometimes corrupts the files and give me problems at times.
Is there some way that I could find out if my drive supports the exFAT file system

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:05 am 
FTP Access

This sounds intriguing... especially a MicroSDXC card... imagine, a device the size of a USB flash drive that has a network plug on one end, plugs directly into the router and gets power from it, and acts as network storage.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:39 pm 
Donator

maybe everyone could get a giant octo core computer with 10 gb ram and stick it in the network room and have monitors that get the source from ethernet cables or the wireless router ;).

then of course your entire family would be backed up on your pinky fingernail sized micro sdxc :P

[/utopia]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 am 
Administrator

Um.... the SDXC supports up to 2TB.. doesn't mean they have a ready 2TB unit out now. By the time it's out and cheap enough 2TB will be common storage in your $250 netbook... But yes, it would be nice with such large memory cards. And by that time I hope the SSD market has matured so we can finally get rid of the old and fragile spinning harddrive technology once and for all. I wonder however what will come first into a proper price range.. a 2TB SSD or a 2TB SDXC... I can imagine a server full of these SDXC units. I could fit my entire server inside a small HTPC shuttle including memory cards. Would be great =).

The largest problem with todays storage technology is that it's too fragile. It also generates tremendous amounts of heat and noise, not to mention power. What worries me tho is the new upcoming magnetic laser technology where magnetic bits are changed by laser instead of magnetic inducing like todays harddrives uses. If that technology matures before SSD we'll have another decade of fragile and costly data storage...

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:35 am 
Donator

I can see the first public SDXC unit to have about 32GB maximum capacity.

The magnetic laser idea sounds nice, but like mrpijey said, it's too fragile.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:32 am 
Biggest problem i can see will be that the storage cards will eventually out gun the internal system memory, unless they manage to turn the motherboards into supporting SDXC cards as system ram??
would be nice to have 2TB of system ram... :|

But you must all remember this lot back in 2005??
http://www.osnews.com/story/11784

JJ

PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:36 am 
Donator

JustJonno wrote:
Biggest problem i can see will be that the storage cards will eventually out gun the internal system memory, unless they manage to turn the motherboards into supporting SDXC cards as system ram??
would be nice to have 2TB of system ram... :|

JJ

get a 2tb external hard drive, hard to find at a store though though.

but ram speeds will always, i hope, be greater than external storage access speeds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:49 pm 
Oh my god. How much is this gonna cost? Whats the point by the way? Is it gonna replace hard drives - it could cos its faster than light.

PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:47 am 
Donator

well if you want 2tb out of it now its going to cost you a car but right now its mroe of for just plain out larger sd storage capacity in the future.

and if you think its that fast you haven't used ram drives ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: SDXC memory card spec launched for 2TB capacity        Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler Build 2419
JustJonno wrote:

JJ

Dear god... totally forgot about that. Ended up being vaporware right?

EDIT: just read the comments on that page, was obviously fake, lol.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]