BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 15h, 31m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5683MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:11 pm 
Donator

Windows 7 offers an interesting new option when a software program becomes unresponsive. Windows 7 offers to try to cancel the non-responsive command of a process instead of just killing the process or offering to restart the application.

The user can continue working with the application if the cancellation of the non-responsive command is successful. This essentially means that the chance of loosing data is slim to none one a successful cancellation.

The success rate of this new method is not known currently but it did work quite well during tests. This is definitely the better - and safer - option than to simply kill the application or restart it. Both methods that have been used in previous Windows versions usually meant that some data would be lost in the process.

Source: http://windows7news.com/2008/12/26/how-windows-7-deals-with-crashed-applications/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
That could prove to be useful, but it would probably not help with gaming as much as normal apps, but it will certainly reduce data loss

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:39 pm 
FTP Access

This is what i call a very usefull option, if they had only developed it for the previous windows versions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:59 pm 
Donator

this is a very nice feature, im sure to be using this one a lot ;) why did it take them so long to come up with this one?!?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:43 pm 
FTP Access

Very unfortunate is that this feature is not for Windows Explorer. It crashed a few times here and i only got the options to close the program or restart it. I'm running the 7000 build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:31 am 
Donator

Walter wrote:
Very unfortunate is that this feature is not for Windows Explorer. It crashed a few times here and i only got the options to close the program or restart it. I'm running the 7000 build.

you don't loose anything if the taskbar and desktop icons disappear do you?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:20 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Is the option explicitly defined?

Consider this pseudo-code

Code:
Define int DriveToWhipe=0;
MFC.Get-User-Input-For-USB-Disk-To-Whipe(); <--Crashes & Is Skipped
WhipDisk(DriveToWhipe);

:|

-=-=-
I wonder if you can induce a crash in Windows genuine check apparatus :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
It looks really nice to me. I hope it will work very fast! (not the slow end the program of windows XP)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:38 pm 
FTP Access

zamadatix wrote:
Walter wrote:

you don't loose anything if the taskbar and desktop icons disappear do you?

Most of the times it only occured when i clicked on the Windows Explorer icon, or when i closed something, but now the build runs very smooth on my system. haven't had any crashes any more so i'm glad.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How Windows 7 deals with crashed applications        Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I use 7000 version and it do not find problem in my wireless connection so how useful this is is to see in the full version.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]