BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 9h, 23m | CPU: 53% | MEM: 5562MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Serious security flaw found in IE        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:13 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Serious security flaw found in IE

Quote:
Users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer are being urged by experts to switch to a rival until a serious security flaw has been fixed.

The flaw in Microsoft's Internet Explorer could allow criminals to take control of people's computers and steal their passwords, internet experts say.

Microsoft urged people to be vigilant while it investigated and prepared an emergency patch to resolve it.

Internet Explorer is used by the vast majority of the world's computer users.

Quote:
It's a shame Microsoft have not been able to fix this more quickly
Darien Graham-Smith
PC Pro magazine

"Microsoft is continuing its investigation of public reports of attacks against a new vulnerability in Internet Explorer," said the firm in a security advisory alert about the flaw.

Microsoft says it has detected attacks against IE 7.0 but said the "underlying vulnerability" was present in all versions of the browser.

Other browsers, such as Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, are not vulnerable to the flaw Microsoft has identified.

As many as 10,000 websites have been compromised since last week to take advantage of the security flaw, said antivirus software maker Trend Micro.

The websites have been mostly serving up programs that steal computer game passwords, but the flaw could be "adopted by more financially motivated criminals", a Trend Micro security researcher said on Monday.

Quote:
MICROSOFT SECURITY ADVICE
Change IE security settings to high (Look under Tools/Internet Options)
Switch to a Windows user account with limited rights to change a PC's settings
With IE7 or 8 on Vista turn on Protected Mode
Ensure your PC is updated
Keep anti-virus and anti-spyware software up to date

Richard Cox, chief information officer of anti-spam body The Spamhaus Project and an expert on privacy and cyber security, echoed Trend Micro's warning.

"It won't be long before someone reverse engineers this exploit for more fraudulent purposes. Trend Mico's advice [of switching to an alternative web browser] is very sensible," he said.

PC Pro magazine's security editor, Darien Graham-Smith, said that there was a virtual arms race going on, with hackers always on the look out for new vulnerabilities.

"The message needs to get out that this malicious code can be planted on any web site, so simple careful browsing isn't enough."

"It's a shame Microsoft have not been able to fix this more quickly, but letting people know about this flaw was the right thing to do. If you keep flaws like this quiet, people are put at risk without knowing it."

"Every browser is susceptible to vulnerabilities from time to time. It's fine to say 'don't use Internet Explorer' for now, but other browsers may well find themselves in a similar situation," he added.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:58 pm 
Donator

Another reason not to use IE. Firefox FTW.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
hah. the whole school here uses IE and won't be switching any time soon ! :)

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:38 pm 
Donator

They still use IE 6 SP2 here, they do have Firefox but it's version 2.0.0.10.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Serious security flaw found in IE        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:32 pm 
Donator

Quote:
Users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer are being urged by experts to switch to a rival until a serious security flaw has been fixed.

whats new in the world?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:59 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
It was going to happen, and they probably knew that. And what do you think business who still use IE, schools who use IE (mine still on 6) and the rest going to do, oh lemme think... continue to use it regardless due to something or somewhat.

Basically this could have potential problems if Microsoft don't release the patch soon.

Somehow I think Browser Wars II has just received a kick-start.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
This bug has been in there for a while, in IE 7, 6, 5, 4 maybe older too.

They way it spreads is simple, if you go to a website and click a link, and then it automatically installs.
Most of the websites are chinese, so watch out for them now and by the end of the week, almost all sites will be affected.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:53 pm 
Donator

Rioter wrote:
Somehow I think Browser Wars II has just received a kick-start.

i agree, IE is lagging so far behind in the speed of java script computations, if it can do them at all, and is no where near the web standards for rendering pages. With 3 of 4 major rendering engines (webkit, gecko, tridant, and presto) nearly locked in a battle of speed and nearly all perfecting o getting close to the acid 3 test with the acid4 being developed after Firefox gets a 100. i think i see another browser war coming up and its likely less and less use IE.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:36 pm 
Donator

zamadatix wrote:
i think i see another browser war coming up and its likely less and less use IE.

Doubt it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:11 pm 
Donator

happy dude wrote:
zamadatix wrote:
i think i see another browser war coming up and its likely less and less use IE.

Doubt it.

People will just use what they like, it's not like one company is going to stop developing a browser. It's not the same situration as the Blu Ray vs HD DVD war.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I am an Opera user, but I would rather use IE if I had a choice between it and Firefox. Sure, this bug is a problem but I fully expect Microsoft to fix it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:35 pm 
Donator

Shane wrote:
I am an Opera user, but I would rather use IE if I had a choice between it and Firefox. Sure, this bug is a problem but I fully expect Microsoft to fix it.

i use opera and firefox and cant see myself ever using ie if i had the choice so whats your reasoning? (after all firefox is closer to opera than ie) ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Simple, I just dislike Firefox. I don't like the way its UI is designed, and its rendering has always felt slow to me. I mainly like Opera for its UI and rendering speed, the standards compliance is just an added bonus

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:16 am 
Donator

Luckily i'm fine and dandy on Firefox. No IE for me unless its windows update or downloading firefox.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:21 am 
Donator

win98 wrote:
Luckily i'm fine and dandy on Firefox. No IE for me unless its windows update or downloading firefox.

you can get an addon (forget the name) that will update windows from firefox. and you can use the cmd utility to download firefox from the ftp
(i dont like ie lol)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
zamadatix wrote:
win98 wrote:

you can get an addon (forget the name) that will update windows from firefox. and you can use the cmd utility to download firefox from the ftp
(i dont like ie lol)

It's called IE Tab.

XDude wrote:
People will just use what they like, it's not like one company is going to stop developing a browser. It's not the same situration as the Blu Ray vs HD DVD war.

True, but people use IE because they are causal users(not all) whose expectations of an browser have been meant, so until something terrible with IE happens they will continue to use IE no matter how bad it is.(They are already happy with IE, so there's no need to switch) That's just my 2 cents...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I don't know if the thought occurred to you, but some people do actually genuinely like using IE

Quote:
(i dont like ie lol)

The update is called windiz update, and I am not overly keen on it personally as it has, on several occasions after a fresh install failed to pick up on updates that IE, and the automatic updating engine have found.

As for going into cmd to download an installer... seems a little bit of an excessive step to me

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:49 am 
Donator

lol yeah the cmd connection is mostly for if you messed up ie and need a browser fast.

windiz has delays of 1-2 days from the microsoft server (only reason i dont use it also)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Then use IE Tab. It emulates IE perfectly, and will allow you get updates from Microsoft Update

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Shane wrote:
I don't know if the thought occurred to you, but some people do actually genuinely like using IE

I agree on that, even though I don't use IE anymore, I always did prefer it, but when I started using Firefox the defining moment for me was the Adblock Add-on, I know other browsers have the similar feature, but for me, they just don't do the job right.

If IE had the range of addons and etc, I would consider switching back, but for now, I'll stay and wait out and see.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:06 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Alexsis wrote:
Shane wrote:

I agree on that, even though I don't use IE anymore, I always did prefer it, but when I started using Firefox the defining moment for me was the Adblock Add-on, I know other browsers have the similar feature, but for me, they just don't do the job right.

If IE had the range of addons and etc, I would consider switching back, but for now, I'll stay and wait out and see.

I honestly have to agree with you there. OK even though I used IE7Pro, which is a good IE add-on, you don't have the customization features like in FF & Opera. IE is getting better with the range of addons, i.e. foxmarks now works with IE.

Then you have the bombshell of IE's security and compatibility. Never was brilliant

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 pm 

Favourite OS
xp 7 reactos
im really sorry to say this and dont wish to start a flame war but at the min i dont know what to because i use firefox alot but after reading this http://msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=23063 i might not be using it for much long as for opera i have not used it alot. can anyone recommend a browser so some thing please
regards digidude[/url]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 pm 
Donator

digidude2008 wrote:
im really sorry to say this and dont wish to start a flame war but at the min i dont know what to because i use firefox alot but after reading this http://msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=23063 i might not be using it for much long as for opera i have not used it alot. can anyone recommend a browser so some thing please
regards digidude[/url]

well the only browsers anyone uses are Chrome, Safari, Opera, Firefox, and IE. if you want to get farther out from normal there's Konquerer and Maxthon and many many others. Check them out try them and see what you like. i personally ended up using Firefox Chrome and Opera all at once (depending on what i'm doing on the web).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:36 pm 

Favourite OS
xp 7 reactos
thanks for helping me with that i think i might use Chrome or Safari
regards
digidude

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I would absolutely not recommend using Safari on Windows, its UI is slow and clunky and the font rendering is absolutely awful

The most secure web browser on the Windows platform is Opera by a wide margin. As for Maxthon, that uses the IE rendering engine so any security flaws in IE will be present in it also.

Quote:
lol yeah the cmd connection is mostly for if you messed up ie and need a browser fast.

windiz has delays of 1-2 days from the Microsoft server (only reason i dont use it also)

I am talking about a fresh install downloading updates that where several months old. For some reason I just noticed there where some that it consistently missed. I don't see what the big problem is anyway in all honesty, you aren't gonna have a security issue using IE from the MS websites.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next