BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 2h, 35m | CPU: 55% | MEM: 2098MB of 4121MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Virgin Media about to launch 50Mbps?        Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:40 pm 
It looks as if the internet service provider Virgin Media is about to launch its super fast broadband service that has the potential to offer connection speeds of up to 50 Mbps.
First off, we have seen the launch of the modem that the company will be providing their customers with and now it seems through the grapevine that there is an announcement about to be made on the 15th December.

Could this be the official launch of Virgin Media 50 Mbps?

They have already conducted trials in Kent, so as it stands everything is pointing in that direction, it is just up to Virgin Media to confirm this date as being the launch day.
However, this is something that the company has refused to do so far and will probably continue to do so until the last moment.

From: http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2008/12/03/virgin-media-about-to-launch-50-mbps/

I for one am certainly looking forward to this, but I'm wondering about the price of it...as I just got a V+ box installed just the other week, I asked the engineer if he knew anything about it and he said that all he knows is that it'll be a free upgrade for people who are already on the XL package. Believable? I'm not sure...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP MCE Build 2600 ;)
Flip me that is awesome except one thing.... I CANT GET VIRGIN IN MY AREA.... it is so anoying they missed out my town and it is the biggest town to be built in europe after the war they could of made loads of money, *Huf* i wish i could get virgin...

#J o r d a n :(

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:46 pm 
This is seriously one of the times it sucks to live in Denmark, oh wait. It always sucks.

Anyway i hope that someday in the nearest future we can get gigabit connections like the Japanese.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:27 pm 
FTP Access

As with anything Virgin, it will probably be never as advertised. The Roll out was supposed to start on October with upgrades being completed by the end of December, well its now December and the roll out has not even started yet. Now lets throw in the current economic climate and the rumours that Virgin will be charging around £52 just for the broadband service, and you question if an end of year roll out was a smart idea, again, par for the course for Virgin media. Lastly, who's their target market for this 50mbit top tier service? Downloaders aint it. It the usenet and bittorrent groups that are most likely to be attracted to the high(er) upload speeds and epic download speeds. Bit then VM are also getting quite the reputation for being anti-downloading, so where does that leave us? They state the 50mbit service will not be subject to traffic management, which is brilliant, except they're probably full of [censored], easily proven by looking at their other *unlimited* packages.

As soon as that service becomes as popular as their current 20mbit, they will need to introduce the same measures because they cannot afford to upgrade their backbone network to account for the massive increase in speeds, so they'll castrate the mythical 95th percentile so your nan on her £4 a month package can get her emails half a second quicker. Ive been with them for nearly 8 years, before there was a Virgin Media, and for the first couple under Telewest is was damn good, unfortunately after the NTL involvement it all went downhill, still is. I've paid for the top teir the whole time (4mbit used to be £50 but unlike today, it actually was unlimited). I have no interest in adopting their 50mbit tier and I've read of many others who feel the same. This is more a move from Virgin to claw in people from other ISP's, and them kick them in the nuts once they're contracted. Its the Virgin (read NTL) way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re:        Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:31 pm 
Donator

lego399 wrote:
This is seriously one of the times it sucks to live in Denmark, oh wait. It always sucks.
Same in NZ hell we only just got ADSL2+ and thats in the most popular places.

Anyway i hope that someday in the nearest future we can get gigabit connections like the Japanese.

OG wrote:
As with anything Virgin, it will probably be never as advertised. The Roll out was supposed to start on October with upgrades being completed by the end of December, well its now December and the roll out has not even started yet. Now lets throw in the current economic climate and the rumours that Virgin will be charging around £52 just for the broadband service, and you question if an end of year roll out was a smart idea, again, par for the course for Virgin media. Lastly, who's their target market for this 50mbit top tier service? Downloaders aint it. It the usenet and bittorrent groups that are most likely to be attracted to the high(er) upload speeds and epic download speeds. Bit then VM are also getting quite the reputation for being anti-downloading, so where does that leave us? They state the 50mbit service will not be subject to traffic management, which is brilliant, except they're probably full of [censored], easily proven by looking at their other *unlimited* packages.

As soon as that service becomes as popular as their current 20mbit, they will need to introduce the same measures because they cannot afford to upgrade their backbone network to account for the massive increase in speeds, so they'll castrate the mythical 95th percentile so your nan on her £4 a month package can get her emails half a second quicker. Ive been with them for nearly 8 years, before there was a Virgin Media, and for the first couple under Telewest is was damn good, unfortunately after the NTL involvement it all went downhill, still is. I've paid for the top teir the whole time (4mbit used to be £50 but unlike today, it actually was unlimited). I have no interest in adopting their 50mbit tier and I've read of many others who feel the same. This is more a move from Virgin to claw in people from other ISP's, and them kick them in the nuts once they're contracted. Its the Virgin (read NTL) way.

Thats like Telecom /Xtra NZ they had unlimited but at peak times it was barley better than dial up so they have been trying to get people off it and onto 10GB which costs the same. They also have stopped selling the plan as they were forced to. The first two weeks of it were great then every man and his dog got it to quote a friend.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virgin Media about to launch 50Mbps?        Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I'm stuck with either Unmonitored AT&T 3mbs DSL, or I can get 20mbs Insight, but they monitor useage, and dont allow torrenting, or lots of downloading.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Virgin Media about to launch 50Mbps?        Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Bender wrote:
I'm stuck with either Unmonitored AT&T 3mbs DSL, or I can get 20mbs Insight, but they monitor useage, and dont allow torrenting, or lots of downloading.

Can't get Virgin, so I'm with TalkTalk :D

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]