BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 3h, 21m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 5577MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Direct3D WARP10 will let you play crysis using software r...        Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:12 pm 
FTP Access

Quote:
Direct3D backwards compatibility has always been “you get what your graphics cards run”. For example, Crysis may be a Direct3D 10 game, but if you only have a Direct3D 9-level graphics card, it might only make your jaws open instead of hitting the floor. But that’s all going to change comes Windows 7.

Full article

I would like to add that this sounds awesome!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:29 pm 
Donator

probably still run like [censored]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:48 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
___ wrote:

even worse :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
Daniel wrote:
___ wrote:

even worse :P

but it i'll look so darn purdy :P

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:16 pm 
Donator

Who knows? Could DWM run on Intel cards thanks to DxWARP10?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
There's not much of a visual difference between Direct-X 9.0c and Direct-X 10 anyways... Nothing to get overly excited over.

I certainly hope that Direct-X 11 is something worth looking at.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:32 pm 
Donator

The point of DirectX was always to supply software emulation when hardware functions weren't present (HAL and HEL). However, when DVD's started to become popular, they needed "Hardware Overlay" support, which just wasn't possible to do in software reasonably, so they never supplied software emulation. There are more features just like this (shaders, etc) that didn't always have a software fallback, so whatever game simply didn't work.

I suppose machines are getting to the point where this isn't an issue anymore, and they are going to start having software fallback for every feature now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:00 am 
FTP Access

I doubt seriously that thats a screenshot using software rendering, or if it is and there just happened to be a framerate overlay no doubt it would be zooming along at 3 frames per second. I just can't see it being anywhere near a feasable option, even with a quad core and a game capable of utilizing all 4 cores for rendering, they just cannot compete with proper gpu based hardware rendering. Hell a modern cpu cant even draw an XP dektop at a decent framerate, never mind crysis, so whats the point? It would STILL be unplayable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:54 pm 
FTP Access

XX55XX wrote:
There's not much of a visual difference between Direct-X 9.0c and Direct-X 10 anyways... Nothing to get overly excited over.

I certainly hope that Direct-X 11 is something worth looking at.

DX10 basically offers better performance, which allows them to add in better special effects while offering the same performance (about the same) as DX9. Disable the effects, and performance should be better.

Many of the early DX10 games really did a poor job of adding DX10 as well.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]