BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 3h, 44m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 4152MB of 10239MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Vista SP2 RC in February, RTM in April 2009        Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:10 pm 
Donator

"Microsoft is laboring to serve Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista a little over a year after the availability of Service Pack 1, beating Windows 7 to the market. The first development milestones of Windows Vista Service Pack 2 have already shipped to testers and are even available for download for users of the operating system outside of the limited testing pool selected by Microsoft. Come 2009, the Redmond company will make available the Release Candidate of the operating system's SP2 one year after the RTM of SP1, just to deliver the gold bits a couple of months after that."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-SP2-RC-in-February-RTM-in-April-2009-98560.shtml

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:47 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
I fear this early release is due to the lack of features.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:50 am 
Donator

Probably.
With Windows 7 drawing nearer and nearer, it wouldn't be a very good buisness strategy to add more features.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm 
jabster wrote:
Probably.
With Windows 7 drawing nearer and nearer, it wouldn't be a very good buisness strategy to add more features.

It would be pretty dumb by Microsoft too add new features, but there is still going to be a "little while" until Windows 7. Microsoft should be just a little nice to the Vista users and not leave them behind the wagon.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
lego399 wrote:
jabster wrote:
Probably.

It would be pretty dumb by Microsoft too add new features, but there is still going to be a "little while" until Windows 7. Microsoft should be just a little nice to the Vista users and not leave them behind the wagon.

Or at least make Windows 7 cheaper than Windows Vista was, so that everyone can get on Windows 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:38 am 
Donator

This is a service pack, not some R2. XP SP2 was a massive exception, historically an SP release has been little more than patches rolled up with the occasional tweak or feature added.

As for the price I can't believe people still think Vista is expensive. It's a pretty big sum if you buy the boxed versions but that's the exception seeing how almost everyone either gets Vista from an OEM, can get upgrades or even purchase the OEM version as a systems builder.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Not as expensive as before, the price of all Vista versions except for Starter and Enterprise have gone down their original price by 20%. So if you wanted Ultimate you would pay $319.99 rather than $400.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:01 am 
Donator

Still a pretty dear price though, especially when you consider it has to compete with Xp, which (down here at least) still goes for around $130.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
jabster wrote:
Still a pretty dear price though, especially when you consider it has to compete with Xp, which (down here at least) still goes for around $130.

That $130 will almost certainly be an OEM version though, compared to the retail Vista Ultimate Thlump mentioned.

Comparing like for like, OEM prices here in the UK are:

Windows XP MCE 2005 (SP2b) - £84.40
Windows Vista Home Premium x86 (SP1) - £84.99

Windows XP Professional x64 (SP2) - £100.97
Windows Vista Business x64 (SP1) - £105.70

Windows XP Professional x86 (SP3) - £106.20
Windows Vista Business x86 (SP1) - £104.37

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 (SP2b) - £121.00

Windows Vista Ultimate x86 (SP1) - £134.74

Therefore, Prices aren't that different between XP and Vista now. I notice the XP Prices seem to have gone up though. I remember when XP Pro prices were about £90. I guess that's MS's pricing strategy now.

Also Interesting, Vista Ultimate SP1 Retail has dropped hugely - Just £171.64. Consider it started at something like £320 in the UK, that's a huge drop.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Are you sure you aren't comparing the SYSTEMBUILDER against RETAIL?

Systembuilder versions are the same as retail but can be activated on 1 PC and are far cheaper then the normal retail box.
The only difference, with Retail you get only Vista with a Nice box, that's the difference.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:50 pm 
Donator

DjRob wrote:

Systembuilder versions are the same as retail but can be activated on 1 PC and are far cheaper then the normal retail box.
The only difference, with Retail you get only Vista with a Nice box, that's the difference.

Well there's also the whole support issue. If you buy a System Builder license then the system builder is responsible for end user support whereas if you buy a retail license it's Microsoft's responsibility.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:53 pm 
FTP Access

hounsell wrote:
I notice the XP Prices seem to have gone up though. I remember when XP Pro prices were about £90. I guess that's MS's pricing strategy now.

You can't buy XP any more (except as a downgrade if you buy Vista) so presumably the ones you are seeing are just the old stock that is left over, maybe retailers have pushed the price up a bit as they know there is still some demand for it and stocks are now limited.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
hounsell wrote:
I notice the XP Prices seem to have gone up though. I remember when XP Pro prices were about £90. I guess that's MS's pricing strategy now.

You can't buy XP any more (except as a downgrade if you buy Vista) so presumably the ones you are seeing are just the old stock that is left over, maybe retailers have pushed the price up a bit as they know there is still some demand for it and stocks are now limited.

Yeh, I'd guess so. There's no retail stock left anywhere, as expected.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
ddew wrote:
DjRob wrote:

Well there's also the whole support issue. If you buy a System Builder license then the system builder is responsible for end user support whereas if you buy a retail license it's Microsoft's responsibility.

Well, then the support is me then (saves money and calling and waiting :P)
Only the store build the system, I installed it (to save money) and I am a graduate IT-guy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 pm 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
ddew wrote:
DjRob wrote:

Well, then the support is me then.
Only the store build the system, I installed it (to save money) and I am a graduate IT-guy.

IT-graduate or not, buying the SB copy and installing it on your computer is a breach of the SB license, but that's not really the issue. I just wanted to point out that there are more differences to account for the lower price than just a fancy box. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
ddew wrote:
DjRob wrote:
ddew wrote:
DjRob wrote:

IT-graduate or not, buying the SB copy and installing it on your computer is a breach of the SB license, but that's not really the issue. I just wanted to point out that there are more differences to account for the lower price than just a fancy box. :)

This is going way off-topic.
But it's not in breach with the license.
OEM Systembuilder versions needs to be sold with new hardware, and mine was bought with an entire computer.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:06 pm 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
ddew wrote:
DjRob wrote:
ddew wrote:
DjRob wrote:

This is going way off-topic.
But it's not in breach with the license.
OEM Systembuilder versions needs to be sold with new hardware, and mine was bought with an entire computer.

Ok, even more off topic then. :)

I suggest you read Section 5, paragraph A of the SB license.

Quote:
For each unit of Software in the Pack, you must pre-install one copy of the Software on a Customer System prior
to distribution. If the Software includes more than one language version, you must install only one language
version.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
There are still copies (OEM, retail) of XP for sale on newegg.com. It doesn't seem that XP is completely sold out yet.

And about OEM copies, can you transfer your license from computer to computer? I hear that Microsoft isn't even checking hardware anymore with Vista activations. I've installed my copy of Vista about a dozen times already and shifted it through three different machines, and I haven't had to call Microsoft yet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:59 am 
Donator

XX55XX wrote:
And about OEM copies, can you transfer your license from computer to computer? I hear that Microsoft isn't even checking hardware anymore with Vista activations. I've installed my copy of Vista about a dozen times already and shifted it through three different machines, and I haven't had to call Microsoft yet.

Here's the deal, it's technically a breach of contract to transfer OEM licenses but they tend to look the other way. Seeing how the percentage of computers sold without any OS:es on them is pretty miniscule I'm guessing it's not worth the hassle to track every installation down. :)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]