BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 5h, 35m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5521MB of 11097MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Singularity 2.0        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:16 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Singularity 2.0 was released yesterday...

http://www.codeplex.com/singularity/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=19428

:)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I'm shocked! :o :o
I feel like backing in time to MS-DOS days!!! It doesnt have a normal UI (Like Windows XP, for example). Is this the Opreating System that should replace sometimes Windows?!?! :o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:43 pm 
Daniel1981 wrote:
I feel like backing in time to MS-DOS days!!! It doesnt have a normal UI (Like Windows XP, for example). Is this the Opreating System that should replace sometimes Windows?!?! :o

not this again...

ITS JUST AN EXPERIMENTAL OS AND WILL NEVER REPLACE ANYTHING!!!
ALSO ITS JUST KERNEL WITHOUT GUI!!!

8-)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:49 pm 
Donator

Microsoft wrote:
Singularity is a research project in Microsoft Research that started with the question: what would a software platform look like if it was designed from scratch with the primary goal of dependability? Singularity is working to answer this question by building on advances in programming languages and tools to develop a new system architecture and operating system (named Singularity), with the aim of producing a more robust and dependable software platform. Singularity demonstrates the practicality of new technologies and architectural decisions, which should lead to the construction of more robust and dependable systems.

Rick Rashid, Senior Vice President of Microsoft Research wrote:
Singularity is not the next Windows. Think of it as a concept car: a prototype operating system designed from the ground up to test-drive a new paradigm for how operating systems and applications interact with one another.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:09 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Daniel1981 wrote:

I wonder if it is really that hard to take a look at the release notes or the homepage or to use Wikipedia/Google before asking questions like this... :^)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:15 pm 
Donator

Sadly, neither the Midori or Singularity Wikipedia articles explain that these are Research Projects, or even what a research project is.
They just say "experimental OS"
Anyone not too cluey on all this might want to stop off at the Microsoft Research Site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:12 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Quote:
Overview

Singularity is a research project focused on the construction of dependable systems through innovation in the areas of systems, languages, and tools. We are building a research operating system prototype (called Singularity), extending programming languages, and developing new techniques and tools for specifying and verifying program behavior.

Advances in languages, compilers, and tools open the possibility of significantly improving software. For example, Singularity uses type-safe languages and an abstract instruction set to enable what we call Software Isolated Processes (SIPs). SIPs provide the strong isolation guarantees of OS processes (isolated object space, separate GCs, separate runtimes) without the overhead of hardware-enforced protection domains. In the current Singularity prototype SIPs are extremely cheap; they run in ring 0 in the kernel’s address space.

Singularity uses these advances to build more reliable systems and applications. For example, because SIPs are so cheap to create and enforce, Singularity runs each program, device driver, or system extension in its own SIP. SIPs are not allowed to share memory or modify their own code. As a result, we can make strong reliability guarantees about the code running in a SIP. We can verify much broader properties about a SIP at compile or install time than can be done for code running in traditional OS processes. Broader application of static verification is critical to predicting system behavior and providing users with strong guarantees about reliability.

http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/

Then there is also the homepage on Codeplex and the BA Wiki entry and I guess there are also some other pages about Singularity....

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:54 pm 
Donator

From what I've read about Midori, it will use ideas from Singularity and eventually become a commercial product. No one knows what that product is or how closely related to Singularity it will actually be. Still, Microsoft hasn't confirmed even that AFAIK.

Possibly the most interesting part about this release:

Quote:
We're also looking to increase community participation in the RDK 2 - so if you're using the RDK for something cool, let us know on the Discussions tab, and submit Patches on the Source Code tab. Patches will be integrated into the codebase, so that other RDK users can take advantage of your work. We will grant Developer permissions to frequent contributors to help streamline their contributions and let the users drive the future of the RDK.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
From what I heard, Midori may supercede Windows(unconfirmed), but Midori is not related to Windows and may never will be.
And yes, Midori will be related to Singularity and therefore the kernel will probably be made in C#.

Anyway, I tried Singularity 2.0, and I got stuck at this screen:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:59 pm 
Donator

Thlump wrote:
From what I heard, Midori may supercede Windows(unconfirmed)

Assuming this is correct, I'm thinking it's more like the transition from Win9x to NT rather than from DOS to Windows. Of course they could be thinking along the lines of a sandboxed Win32 enviroment but unlike Apple who did this successfully with OS9, Microsoft has got a huge ecosystem surrounding Windows. OS9 Classic was a great piece of engineering but it wasn't 100% and with a miniscule marketshare that's affordable but not for something the size of Win32.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:09 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
http://research.microsoft.com/os/singul ... eStack.pdf
Very nice...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:51 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Thlump wrote:
Anyway, I tried Singularity 2.0, and I got stuck at this screen:

I am not sure why it does not work if you are trying to boot directly from CD,
but it works fine if you copy the pxe.vmc from the base\boot directory to base\
and then type build\boottest.cmd pxe.vmc on the Singularity console after
compiling it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Singularity 2.0        Posted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
Daniel wrote:

WE BETTER UPDATE THE WIKI.

AND BY "WE" I MEAN YOU.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Namronia wrote:
Daniel1981 wrote:

not this again...

ITS JUST AN EXPERIMENTAL OS AND WILL NEVER REPLACE ANYTHING!!!
ALSO ITS JUST KERNEL WITHOUT GUI!!!

8-)

Namronia, there's no need to excite yourself so much. Yes, we know that it Singularity is supposed to replace anything, but there's no need to start rocketing at people. And to say it's just a kernel is a bit stupid, really, since there's a shell and utilities. If it was nobbut a kernel, you'd have to put the shell and whatnot in yourself.

Remember you aren't the 'man' around here, you've no right to go around going off; that's for the moderators and sysop to do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Singularity 2.0        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:55 am 
FTP Access

milatchi wrote:
Daniel wrote:

AND BY "WE" I MEAN YOU.

No need to rush into it though...the wiki is still down! :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Singularity 2.0        Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
ftgba2244 wrote:
milatchi wrote:
Daniel wrote:

AND BY "WE" I MEAN YOU.

No need to rush into it though...the wiki is still down! :P

Miltatchi said it BEFORE the wiki was down.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]