BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 7h, 44m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 2010MB of 4571MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows 7 Desktop Windows Manager Cuts Memory Usage By 50%        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:50 pm 
Long Zheng posted an interesting screenshot taken from the presentation by Anantha Kancherla which was about
Writing Your Application to Shine on Modern Graphics Hardware. It contained a sheet that mentioned that Windows 7 will cut memory usage in the graphics system of the Windows 7 Desktop Windows Manager by 50%. The same chart mentioned that the Windows 7 desktop manager will make use of the Direct3D 10.1 API which probably meant that it is supported if the video card is supporting DirectX 10.1. It is unlikely that Windows 7 will require a DirectX 10 video card to run at all given the current market share of those video cards.

It is nevertheless refreshing to see that Microsoft is optimizing not only the functionality but also the resource usage of the operating system.

Source: http://windows7news.com/2008/10/29/wind ... age-by-50/

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:39 pm 
good find, rly can't wait for this os in RTM

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:44 pm 
Yeah this OS will rock. I think it'll be one of the best Windows.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:59 pm 
FTP Access

I would like to consider Windows 7 being very similar to what Apple is doing with their Mac OS X platform, in which they are taking elements from their current operating system (Windows Vista) and building it off new code that requires less power from hardware. This is because of a digital revolution technology is going through, in which laptops require products and software that need less power required to run to get the best battery power, while maintaining speed and stability. Snow Leopard is trying to make QuickTime run more efficiently by using modern codecs and actually putting them into good use, and Windows 7 is trying to take Vista's Aero, DWM, and DirectX as an example to make it more efficient to run.

Anyone else believe this is the strategy of both companies?

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:08 pm 
Donator

The way I see the relationship between Vista and 7 is pretty simplistic. Vista laid the foundations, kernls, system libraries and the basics for the technology used such as DWM, WPF, WCF and so on. Now with 7 they are starting to actually use the nifty stuff they created in Vista. Looking at the technology in each OS Vista would be the majore release but looking at presentation and new nifty use of the frameworks I'd say that 7 is the major release.

In short, 7 is more like how MS wanted Longhorn to be than Vista is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: ...        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:11 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
If you look closely, you can even see some longhorn features that has come back.. i found 4.. anyone care to point them out ? :)

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:11 pm 
Donator

what are they??? (new to the beta scene missed the longhorn era)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:49 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
MS can make as many PowerPoints as they want; I need to see actual clocks.

Less resource usage doesn't necessarily translate to faster operating system because it does not directly imply less processing must be done.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:03 am 
FTP Access

I'd agree with FrozenPort, Microsoft talks in sales pitch terms... I would love to see some actual solid proof... besides their normal jive talk ;D

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Frozenport wrote:
Less resource usage doesn't necessarily translate to faster operating system because it does not directly imply less processing must be done.

Often, the inverse can be true. See with Vista's RAM Management. My 6GB of RAM is almost always completely full, but Vista uses about 4.5Gb to cache commonly used files, so the system speeds up, not slows down.

Free RAM is RAM that isn't being used, and that's no good to anyone.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ...        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:13 pm 
FTP Access

leonbollerup wrote:
If you look closely, you can even see some longhorn features that has come back.. i found 4.. anyone care to point them out ? :)

Let me guess, they are:

Libraries, (like in Windows Longhorn Build 3718 and Windows Vista Beta 1).
Hardware and Devices centre. (Like the My Hardware folder).
Sticky Notes, (Like in Windows Longhorn Build 4074).
Castles, (Home domain networking).

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]