BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 11h, 2m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 1979MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Informations about Windows 7's UAC        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:35 pm 
Source with a few pictures: http://windows7news.com/2008/10/31/a-close-look-at-the-windows-7-user-account-control/

With this article you can get a closer look at the new User Account Control. :)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:54 pm 
FTP Access

Thanks for this info, I'm watching that UAC closely cause i hate it in vista. I disabled it like 5 min after i first booted cause it kept annoying me. It was 1 of the worst things in vista.I really hope they change it for the better this time, i fthey dont they better leave it out ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:57 pm 
Yeah, UAC is a very annoying thing. When I tried Vista, I hated it. I think it'll be improved in this Win7.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:37 pm 
Donator

no, UAC is the best feature in Vista, but the implementation is not the best. Have you ever worked as normal user in XP? I don't think so ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:39 pm 
Umm, no, I haven't worked in XP as a normal user, so you must be right.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:43 pm 
Donator

yeah, I've expected this. The mistake Ms made was to make the account created from the OOBE wizzard as member of the admingroup. Most of you switched from Win9x to XP and don't know something about right management in NT based operating systems. So you were admin and you could do anything what you want under XP, but this was bad!

So XP was the mistake, not the UAC in Vista!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:45 pm 
Yes, I switched from Win98 to XP and I only got one profile with admin rights on XP (and 98 ) and I don't know how exactly this works.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:35 pm 
FTP Access

It would be better for people to learn how to use a computer instead of relying on a built in nanny system that nags you every time you want to run something. Learning how to setup a damn user account would also help. UAC doesnt solve the root issue, that the average PC user is a complete idiot.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:50 pm 
Donator

OG wrote:
It would be better for people to learn how to use a computer instead of relying on a built in nanny system that nags you every time you want to run something. Learning how to setup a damn user account would also help. UAC doesnt solve the root issue, that the average PC user is a complete idiot.

Which is why teching the lusers how to properly use a computer is a futile endevour. :)

Computers have become too common-place for people to think about online security and stuff like that, they've assumed a position similar to radios or telephones where they're just there.

Sometimes I wish computers still were the domain of the proud few like in the late eighties or early ninetees. A time when you could assume that if you were in contact with someone online they knew what they were doing and were probably fairly well educated and/or intelligent. Nowadays any moron is allowed on the intertubes and think they're oh so bright.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:53 pm 
FTP Access

The main reason why i found it annoying is cause, i want full control aover my comp. When i cahnge something i do it for a reason and dont want to say "yes im sure"a bliion times. Its a nice idea but they still have to figure out how to implent it correctly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:19 pm 
Donator

but the fundamentals in NT security are groups with different rights for every object (file, registrykey). So, to run some methods you must have the correct rights ;)

NT is out for over 15 years, so you and your missing knowledge is the problem not the UAC in Vista

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:26 pm 
Donator

UAC at it's default setting in Windows 7 is WAY less annoying than UAC in Vista. Not only are the prompts more intuitive, but there are less of them and they aren't slow any more. The UAC prompts pop-up quickly and give control back to you quicker than they do in Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:52 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
As a home user I think UAC is comical.

Yet, its feature set is something that is notably good for businesses.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:37 am 
Donator

UAC is a good feature when working on computers that don't belong to you.
Let's say if I decided to use a friends laptop or a small company's computer, you don't want to be blame for installing spywares or modifying the system, UAC stops it before it's too late.

If it's my computer, it is indeed annoying.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:11 am 
I was expecting it to look more like a "Volume Knob" 8)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:04 pm 
FTP Access

I have notice in Windows 7 Build 6801, when the UAC dialog box appears, it doesn't dull out the screen to grab your attention like it does in Windows Vista, kind of reminds me of the early UAC in Vista Beta 1....

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]