BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 18h, 28m | CPU: 39% | MEM: 5779MB of 10790MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Next Windows Embedded to be Based on Windows 7 (Not Vista)        Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:18 pm 
Donator

Source: http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/N ... tml?kc=rss

Quote:
Microsoft will forsake its unloved Windows Vista codebase for the next generation of its premier, x86-based embedded operating system. The future Windows Embedded Standard, codenamed "Quebec," will be based on the forthcoming Windows 7 instead, says Kevin Dallas (left), general manager of Microsoft's Windows Embedded business.

Quote:
Doyle says, "For us on the embedded side, it's not about whether we skipped Vista or not. If you look at what the next-generation platforms would be in terms of timing, Windows 7 is the correct thing to snap to in terms of the operating system." The embedded version, Quebec, will be available "within a number of quarters" after the desktop edition's release, he added.

According to Doyle, Quebec will be compatible with Windows Vista-specific drivers and applications. Since few of the latter have been written, embedded developers apparently have little to lose from sticking with WES 2009 for now, except for one thing -- there's no 64-bit version. Promising a 64-bit version of Quebec, Microsoft says developers who need a large memory space in the meantime can license and adapt desktop versions of Windows XP or Windows Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows FW 3.11 on MS-DOS 7.10
Basing it on Windows 7 would make sense, as Microsoft has been working on making a cut-down version of its kernel - IIRC, that's the 40MB CLI Windows that was demoed at a talk some time back, with an ASCII art version of the Windows logo.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:20 am 
Donator

You're talking about MinWin, Windows 7 doesn't use that but from what I've read the Windows kernel has been modular for a long time and already does something similar to MinWin.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:44 am 
Donator

MinWin was one of the really exciting things about 7 for me but after playing around with the 6801 leak I'm slowly changing my opinion. The advantage the MinWin kernel would have is that it'd be less resource intensive and already 7 is much faster for me. I'm comparing a clean Vista Ultimate SP1 to 7 6801 Ultimate on my smackbook and 7 just blows Vista out of the water. It's seriously faster once you manage to get the drivers forcefed to it. :)

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]