BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 5d, 18h, 53m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 1763MB of 3373MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Longhorn Server Build 5757        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:12 am 
Donator

Windows Server Code Name "Longhorn" Build 5757 (32-bit) has just appeared. I am currently downloading it and will post information and screenshots when it's installed. Wondering if it contains the new name or logos or some other major changes.
(Update: No name or logo changes, this build was compiled on 10th October.)

Screenshot: Desktop and About Windows

Update (Dec 11): The 64-bit version for x64 machines is also available now. File size is 2.4GB.

Last edited by empireum on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:55 am 
Donator

where do you get it? Is it out on connect?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:05 am 
Donator

No, got it from WinBeta. This is not the Beta 3, it's still Beta 2 and has been released to TAPs. It's not another CTP build, that was a false assumption by me. It's a TAP build. Complete name of the ISO file (x86) is:

wsl_5757.1.061010-1900_x86fre_server-LRMSFRE_EN_DVD.iso, 1,762,396,160 bytes

Last edited by empireum on Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:19 am 
Donator

cool, could you up it to the ftp, please?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:25 am 
Donator

I could, but the problem is I only got 16kB/s upload. The file is about 1.7GB, meaning it would take at least 30 hours to upload it... Can't you download it directly from WinBeta? They have some very fast servers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:48 am 
Donator

I'm not at university, so I don't have a fast internet connection :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:23 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Does the build run well?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:34 pm 
Donator

I have only looked at it for some minutes, but it does run well (with 512 MB RAM), yes. Due to Aero and stuff like that being completely disabled and not even installed by default, performance is quite good and should be even on older machines; my 1.4GHz Athlon has no PSU at the moment, so I can't test it there.

The RAM consumption with Aero enabled is ~260 MB. It runs noticably better than some of the earlier builds like 5384.

The screenshot I made is from the Enterprise Edition – because that's what I have a (hopefully activatable) key for. But on the DVD, there are also Standard and Datacenter Edition. 8) And for each version, you can decide between a full-blown install and a "Server Core" install, containing only the basic tools and basic server functionality and – no GUI, the entire OS is administered by the command-line or by the MMC from another box. The "Server Core" install is, IMHO, one of the coolest features of Longhorn Server.

Some more screenshots

Add Features Wizard
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to log on
Logging on
Server Manager
Windows Desktop Experience

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]