BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 8h, 2m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 2350MB of 3931MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Vista SP2 and Windows 7 by the End of June 2009        Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I found this on internet:

The evolution of the Windows client, involving both Windows Vista (now with Service Pack 1) and Windows 7, appears to be closer than Microsoft is ready to acknowledge officially.

Of course, Windows XP, even with Service Pack 3, is the past, with the exception of customers abandoning Windows Vista by exercising their downgrade rights. Windows Vista, even with SP1, is a present that makes the future seem to not get here fast enough. And Vista SP2 along with Windows 7 and Windows Cloud (Strata) are the future. But at the same time, both Vista SP2 and Windows 7 are nothing more than the evolution of Vista, to a lesser, and respectively a larger degree.

Come the end of October 2008, and the start of November, Microsoft will deliver a rather consistent taste of where it is heading with Windows, not only Windows 7, but also Windows 7 Server and Windows Strata (the label continues to be unconfirmed by the company). Events such as the Professional Developer Conference 2008, Windows Hardware Conference 2008 and TechEd EMEA will be focused on Windows 7 and Windows Cloud, although less on Windows Vista.

While at TechEd Brasil, at the start of this week, Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer indicated that the company planned to unveil a range of new products by July 2009. Microsoft's CEO mentioned that, by the end of June 2009, the software giant would offer "client operating system releases." Microsoft is, of course, already cooking Windows Vista SP2 and Windows 7.

Ballmer stated that "Microsoft technologies: Windows, Windows Server, .NET, Visual Studio, Silverlight, SharePoint, Office (...) over the course of the 12 month period that ends June of next year, [are] just a subset of all of the exciting new innovations Microsoft will bring to market: client operating system releases, information management tools, security, gaming products and systems. The range of new technologies in some senses is growing and growing quickly." (emphasis added)

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Microsoft released Windows Vista RTM at the end of January 2007, not counting the business launch of the operating system in November 2006. Vista SP1 was released to manufacturing on February 4, 2008 concomitantly with Windows Server 2008, but was only made available for download starting March 18. Now the Redmond company has already moved onward to Service Pack 2.

In fact Vista SP2 invites to the Beta program have already started to be sent out, according to Neowin. It is not Windows Vista SP2 that Microsoft is cooking, but also Windows Server 2008 SP2, Beta invites for which have also been sent out. Microsoft has yet to confirm anything officially, but the first Beta bits for Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 are reportedly going to testers in just four weeks.

Still, while Service Pack 1 was the catalyst that took Vista RTM out of coma, making the operating system worthy of a long forgotten and discarded Wow label, SP2 is bound to be nothing more than a standard service pack release. At best, SP2 will take Vista forward just as much as SP1.

The equation is rather simple for Microsoft. The company will end up with a repeat of the Windows XP SP2 – Windows Vista scenario in which both operating systems are available at the same time on the market, although this situation would involve Vista SP2 and Windows 7 RTM. The last thing that Microsoft needs is to evolve Vista with SP2 sufficiently enough that it will be capable to rival Windows 7. In this context, the answer is rather simple. The Redmond giant needs to keep Vista at a relative stand-still even with SP2, and focus all innovation on Windows 7.

Windows 7, or Windows 6.1, or Windows Vista R2, or Windows Vista but "a lot better"

The seventh major version of Windows, but only according to Microsoft's math, comes with no differentiation between the codename and the brand. However, Windows 7 will, for the sake of perpetuating the existing level of Vista software compatibility, be in fact Windows 6.1. At the same time, according to Ballmer, Windows 7 will be Vista, but “a lot better.” This makes Windows 7 an excellent candidate for the Windows Vista R2 label, just as Windows 7 Server is in fact Windows Server 2008 R2. Still, the early feedback on the Windows 7 moniker indicates that the management of the Windows 7 project made the right choice.

"There you have it, Windows 7 now has a name. It’s called – Windows 7,” revealed Steve Clayton, Microsoft's UK Partner Group CTO. “To be honest I was quite surprised but also pretty pleased. The naming decision as Mike Nash says is about simplicity. It’ll certainly save us from all having to unlearn the name we’ve all had for it to date. I expect this naming decision will be debated to death on all the usual sites, but me, I’m just happy we settled on a name. Now let’s get to the PDC and get the bits!"

http://keznews.com/4983_Vista_SP2_and_W ... _June_2009

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:33 am 
I *highly* doubt that Windows 7 will be radically different or that much of an improvement over Vista, especially if they're trying to get it out the door by June 2009. I'd like to see them re-implement some of the features originally intended for Vista into Win7 personally, like WinFS.

Also, it's a little awkward billing the OS as Windows 7 when internally it's 6.1, but then again it wouldn't be the most confusing thing MS did. I wonder exactly how badly it would hurt compatibility with Vista/XP if they increased the major version number.

More importantly, I sort of doubt Windows 7 will be different enough from Vista to warrant changing the major version number from 6.x to 7...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:54 am 
Donator

512dev wrote:
I *highly* doubt that Windows 7 will be radically different or that much of an improvement over Vista, especially if they're trying to get it out the door by June 2009. I'd like to see them re-implement some of the features originally intended for Vista into Win7 personally, like WinFS.

Also, it's a little awkward billing the OS as Windows 7 when internally it's 6.1, but then again it wouldn't be the most confusing thing MS did. I wonder exactly how badly it would hurt compatibility with Vista/XP if they increased the major version number.

More importantly, I sort of doubt Windows 7 will be different enough from Vista to warrant changing the major version number from 6.x to 7...

The RTM date has been pretty much confirmed as October 2009 and going retail about a month later. No official word from MS yet but that's what numerous sources are saying, among them Long Zheng. Make of it what you wish but it makes perfect sense getting it out the door before the holiday season and it'd fit well with the schedules.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
What would make the most sense... building a "supercomputer" running XP64 and go Win7 "straight off" or use Vista Ultimate then upgrade to 7?

I'm gonna build a computer anyways.... but would I better off waiting for 7 instead of Vista (which my GF has multiple problems daily, granted it's Home but still)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:00 pm 
Donator

Doctor Mindvipe wrote:
What would make the most sense... building a "supercomputer" running XP64 and go Win7 "straight off" or use Vista Ultimate then upgrade to 7?

I'm gonna build a computer anyways.... but would I better off waiting for 7 instead of Vista (which my GF has multiple problems daily, granted it's Home but still)

It's all about money. If you get Vista, you will need to pay to get an upgrade version of Windows 7.
You (maybe) could upgrade to 7 from XP, depends on how the licencing works when 7 is out.

If you aquire your software some other way, do whatever you like. Either way, upgrading from XP 64 will need a new installation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:34 pm 
Donator

I can't imagine MS ever requiring you to have Vista in order to upgrade.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:51 pm 
FTP Access

512dev wrote:
Also, it's a little awkward billing the OS as Windows 7 when internally it's 6.1, but then again it wouldn't be the most confusing thing MS did.

It's just the 7th significant NT release, if you don't count the bugfix-ish releases 3.51 and 5.2:

- NT 3.1
- NT 3.5
- NT 4.0
- NT 5.0 (2000)
- NT 5.1 (XP)
- NT 6.0 (Vista/2008)
- NT 6.1 (7)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Bas wrote:
512dev wrote:
Also, it's a little awkward billing the OS as Windows 7 when internally it's 6.1, but then again it wouldn't be the most confusing thing MS did.

It's just the 7th significant NT release, if you don't count the bugfix-ish releases 3.51 and 5.2:

- NT 3.1
- NT 3.5
- NT 4.0
- NT 5.0 (2000)
- NT 5.1 (XP)
- NT 6.0 (Vista/2008)
- NT 6.1 (7)

Bugfix-ish releases?
Maybe NT 3.51 was, but 5.2 no.

5.2 = Server 2003 and XP x64.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:32 am 
Donator

It's the 7th NT Client release. NT 5.2 x86 does not count as it's server only. XP x64 isn't included since it's based on server 2003 and it bares the same name as x86, as 'XP'.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:37 am 
Donator

NT 3.51 was originally supposed to be Microsoft's first NT PowerPC Build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:39 pm 
If it's like the SP1, it's going to be a good thing.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:45 pm 
I hope it's true and Windos 7 will come next June, I got impressed by the pictures.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]