BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 31d, 17h, 47m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 2673MB of 4597MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Vista SP2        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:46 pm 
Donator

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;948465

Nothing known yet apparently, but it looks like it may be coming relatively soon. I wonder if it'll include updates that are part of 7 or if it'll just be a rollup/hotfix release.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:20 pm 
FTP Access

I have a feeling that it will just be another security/update rollup - just like XP SP3. It may incorporate some stuff from 7 - specifically like the UAC changes, but I doubt there'll be much - otherwise there'd be no point in releasing 7!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:28 pm 
Donator

XP to Vista was an unusually long transition, XP RTM to Vista RTM spanned about 6 years (going by sale dates). XP SP2 had to become more like XP R2 than a traditional service pack. With 7 on track for a 2009/2010 release the need for a major release like XP SP2 just isn't there. My guess is that Vista SP2 will be more similar to XP SP3 which isn't much more than an update rollup with some miniscule features added.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:59 am 
Donator

I ditched vista for xp and if sp2 doesn't add much them I will go straight to 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:28 am 
Donator

For me the advantages of Vista compared to XP more than made up for any incompabilities. The main reasons for my switch was: improved x64 compatibility, vastly improved indexing and lastly the compositing. For 7 my probable reason for upgrading will be castle, the smaller footprint and hopefully a more componentized os.

I dual-boot XP and Vista on my mbp and the only reason I still have XP on it is because of NT4 compatibility. XP does most of what I need it to do but much slower than Vista and it isn't nearly as stable under higher workloads.

YMMV of course but my personal experiences in dealing with people who claim Vista sucks tells me that more often than not it's because of three things. First being outdated hardware, a single-core box with 1024MB ram just isn't pleasant with Vista. Second is "performance increasing tweaks", workarounds for limitations in XP that do more harm than good on Vista and lastly inexperience. Vista is different from XP, it handles things differently and if you can't accept that and start learning Vista you're SOL. You can't expect an OS to behave exactly like it's predecessor from 7 years ago, just won't happen.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
ddew.... IMO, the suckage of Vista is more in incompatibilites with the programs and games I use, then with the actual OS in and by itself. My fave game atm, World of Warcraft, was a bugger to get to work on my GF's new computer, and AMD with 3GB RAM, dualcore and some other "neat" stuff.

There's also other games I've played with no problems whatsoever on XP, which is completely broken on her computer.

So yeah..... while the OS itself is neat and pretty and all that... it sucks for the games we have.

Oh, and I've no idea how many times she'd need to reboot her computer because something as silly WinAMP was screwed..... a reboot fixed the issue so it's likely not a WinAMP issue, it's the OS doing something peculiar underneath.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 pm 
Donator

Doctor Mindvipe wrote:
ddew.... IMO, the suckage of Vista is more in incompatibilites with the programs and games I use, then with the actual OS in and by itself. My fave game atm, World of Warcraft, was a bugger to get to work on my GF's new computer, and AMD with 3GB RAM, dualcore and some other "neat" stuff.

There's also other games I've played with no problems whatsoever on XP, which is completely broken on her computer.

So yeah..... while the OS itself is neat and pretty and all that... it sucks for the games we have.

Oh, and I've no idea how many times she'd need to reboot her computer because something as silly WinAMP was screwed..... a reboot fixed the issue so it's likely not a WinAMP issue, it's the OS doing something peculiar underneath.

All good points, Vista isn't perfect. But I do have to ask one thing seeing how I've run WoW quite a lot on this machine. When you say "new computer", you mean from an OEM? In that case many of the issues you experienced can easily be explained by bundled crapware. And I wouldn't eliminate WinAMP as the cause of a WinAMP issue, the WinAMP agent is a troublesome beast which is almost impossible to get into shape. Check out an app called procmon and see where all I/O access is coming from, the agent walks all over the place. :)

Again, crapware causes a lot of problems. I've had multiple occasions where doing a simple cleanup or a clean install of the os and being careful about what background processes I allowed made it feel like a proper hardware upgrade. There are still some things that cause issues, I know Apple's mobile device sync craps out on me when I wake this computer from sleep and some HP imaging updater that crashes occasionally.

Point is that using an OEM image as basis for any comparison is generally a bad idea, the amount of junk on those can kill even the best of computers. I do a couple of system cleanups each month and my experience has taught me that the OS itself is almost never at fault, it's bundled apps with excessive background processes that cause the issues.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
well, it's a Packard Dull, true that.

Winamp AGent has been disabled completely (as in, set to NOT startup whatsoever) so at least the agent is ruled out and away.

In any case... I'm planning on building a new (and for once) top-of-the-shelf computer in spring time.... something with at least 3GB memory, mayhaps more, depending on how I feel.

I'm half inclined to wait untill Win7 arrives before buying a MS OS (for the first time in me life :P ) just in case they've solved some mixed x86/x64 problems that I believe is haning in Vista right now. (mixed as in "running side by side")

Should I wait and get Win7, or should I get Vista Ultimate and the SP's for it in springtime? Win7 will be out in about 6 -9 months by then anyways.... so... what you think?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:31 pm 
I think you should wait for win7 cause even if they do lots of update for vista it won'T have the performance,and lot of new things that 7 will.
But if you need a computer now so its too early for windows 7 cause it will be released only in 2010 i think.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
Well.... the computer I'm gonna build is gonna have topshelf components, for once... I'm tired of secondhand and last years midrange products.....

I'm gonna try Ubuntu Linux soon-ish and if I'm happy with that, then I can live without windows completely :D

I did be one of those that could get CodeWeavers CrossOverPro for free the other day..... which again means, if ti works nicely after testing, then I'm happy to dith windows alltogether :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:40 pm 
SP2 for vista his must be super :D :D

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]