BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 12h, 38m | CPU: 4% | MEM: 5613MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Official Name for Windows "7" Announced        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Quote:
And, as you probably know, since we began development of the next version of the Windows client operating system we have been referring to it by a codename, "Windows 7." But now is a good time to announce that we've decided to officially call the next version of Windows, "Windows 7."

While I know there have been a few cases at Microsoft when the codename of a product was used for the final release, I am pretty sure that this is a first for Windows. You might wonder about the decision.

The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity. Over the years, we have taken different approaches to naming Windows. We've used version numbers like Windows 3.11, or dates like Windows 98, or "aspirational" monikers like Windows XP or Windows Vista. And since we do not ship new versions of Windows every year, using a date did not make sense. Likewise, coming up with an all-new "aspirational" name does not do justice to what we are trying to achieve, which is to stay firmly rooted in our aspirations for Windows Vista, while evolving and refining the substantial investments in platform technology in Windows Vista into the next generation of Windows.

Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore "Windows 7" just makes sense.

Source: http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windo ... ows-7.aspx

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:03 am 
FTP Access

It isn't the seventh release of Windows >_>

At the least... nineth release.
Windows 1, 2, 3, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista

Or if you were to count versions and editions of Windows...
Code:
1.0, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04
2.0, 2.10, 2.11
3.0, 3.1, Workgroups 3.1, 3.11
NT 3.1, 3.5, 3.51
95, 95 SP1, OSR 2, OSR 2.1, OSR 2.5
NT 4.0, SP1-6
98 FE, SE
ME
XP SP1-3, Home, Pro, Tablet, x64, Media Center, Pro/Home N
Server 2003 Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter/Web/SBS/Storage Server
Home Server
Server 2008 Web/Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter/Storage/SBS/Essentials/Itanium
Vista Starter/Home Basic/Premium/Business/Enterprise/Ultimate

And I'm sure I missed 1-2 of them but, still. It's not the "seventh" release of Windows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Quote:
I have no idea how the company came up with Windows 7; by my count it should be at least Windows 19. Let's go over a few versions: Windows 1.0, Windows 2.0, Windows/286, Windows/386, Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows NT 3.5, Windows NT 4, Windows 98, Windows SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows CE, Windows XP, and Windows Vista. I guess calling it Windows 19 would indicate how they can't seem to get it right.

Why can't Microsoft, after more than 20 years, come up with a name that's newer or more contemporary than Windows? It wasn't even supposed to be called Windows in the first place. If car companies kept their names this long we'd still be driving Ford Galaxies or Chevy Bel Airs. I think I'm going to get myself a Cadillac Fleetwood! Geez. Microsoft is going to milk this cow until it is dead. My advice: Get rid of the Windows name and come up with something new. End of diatribe 3,515.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2225716,00.asp

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:12 am 
Donator

I imagine "7" comes from the kernel number. The RTM build # will likely be 7.0.7000 (Or 6.1.7000 if they keep it the way it's currently going), with service packs being 7001, etc. like they are for Vista.

Last edited by Resplendent on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:20 am 
FTP Access

Windows 1, 2 and 3 were little more than GUI add ons for DOS though, so if 95 was the first OS in its own right, then Windows 7 is indeed the 7th incarnation of the Windows operating system.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Resplendent wrote:
I imagine "7" comes from the kernel number. The RTM build # will likely be 7.0.7000 (Or 6.1.7000 if they keep it the way it's currently going), with service packs being 7001, etc. like they are for Vista.

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5867

This topic clarifies everything about the version number for Windows 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:30 am 
Donator

Thlump wrote:
Resplendent wrote:

http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5867

This topic clarifies everything about the version number for Windows 7.

Somewhat, but until we have the Windows 7 RTM build #, no one will know for sure!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:08 am 
Donator

Thlump wrote:
Quote:
I have no idea how the company came up with Windows 7; by my count it should be at least Windows 19. Let's go over a few versions: Windows 1.0, Windows 2.0, Windows/286, Windows/386, Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows NT 3.5, Windows NT 4, Windows 98, Windows SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows CE, Windows XP, and Windows Vista. I guess calling it Windows 19 would indicate how they can't seem to get it right.

Why can't Microsoft, after more than 20 years, come up with a name that's newer or more contemporary than Windows? It wasn't even supposed to be called Windows in the first place. If car companies kept their names this long we'd still be driving Ford Galaxies or Chevy Bel Airs. I think I'm going to get myself a Cadillac Fleetwood! Geez. Microsoft is going to milk this cow until it is dead. My advice: Get rid of the Windows name and come up with something new. End of diatribe 3,515.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2225716,00.asp

if you count the 'NT''s it is the 7th

(Windows NT, Windows NT 3.5, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista)

*excluding servers builds

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
umm
this is just going real bad....

Not even beta and it has a RTM name....

Microsoft is skipping a lot now...

for some reason i feel now that 7 will be a new Windows ME
and even worse an incomplete Windows , last time i checked Windows on every new version they added new programs and new things not just Bug Fixes (like apple) but now everything seems to be moving to the Live Wave , it could be good but you will always need the base OS to be better than the services.

i hope 7 wont turn in to a bad WinME based on NT and Version 7

If Longhorn was ripped from its foundations / concepts. Windows 7 seems to be breaking from what Windows is...

i wonder what we will see at PDC or WinHEC..
a demo of... Windows Live Avalon! and Windows Live Notepad!
and how Windows now has nothing but Touch support and .... and.... a Office like UI?
oh and don’t forget the Castles demo errm i mean "Home Groups" and umm.. .NET 4 and… well looks like there are not new things on the new version…
just maybe better graphics, better sound , maybe a new UI , Office Like Apps, and tons of Installers to make Windows , feel like Windows.

As long as they don’t rip the clock and make it Windows Live Clock I think it will have some of the Windows concept…

I hope Steven gets the hell out of the Development or at least stop giving out “Great Ideas”

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:09 am 
Wasn't there another beta that was rushed out within a short period of time,
to which also kept it's beta name for it's final, windows Millennium Edition.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:12 am 
Donator

They say "Windows 7" is quite stable, hopefully it is actually worth money.

Here is the NT line"
1. 3.1
2. 3.5, 3.51 (minor update)
3. 4.0
4. 5.0 (2000)
5. 5.1 (XP)/5.2 (Server 03) <- group them together, one client, one server version, just numbered differently
6. 6.0 (Vista)
7. 7.0 (7)

That works out, this is the seventh NT client (and server) release from MS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:13 am 
Donator

Quote:
Wasn't there another beta that was rushed out within a short period of time,
to which also kept it's beta name for it's final, windows Millennium Edition.

That's like saying that because Sony made Betamax, Blu-Ray must be the new Betamax. We don't need that sort of logic. Windows 7 is sticking to the usual release cycle time of three years.

Quote:
umm
this is just going real bad....

Not even beta and it has a RTM name....

Microsoft is skipping a lot now...

Some more flawed logic. Just because they've named it doesn't mean they're going to just drop the rest of the development. I could see that. One month into development: "GUYS! We're just going to keep the codename as the final product name!!! WE CAN ALL PARTY, DEVELOPMENT IS OVER! CAKE FOR EVERYONE!". I don't think it works that way.

Quote:
i wonder what we will see at PDC or WinHEC..
a demo of... Windows Live Avalon! and Windows Live Notepad!
and how Windows now has nothing but Touch support and .... and.... a Office like UI?
oh and don’t forget the Castles demo errm i mean "Home Groups" and umm.. .NET 4 and… well looks like there are not new things on the new version…
just maybe better graphics, better sound , maybe a new UI , Office Like Apps, and tons of Installers to make Windows , feel like Windows.

Make a list of features and applications added and dropped from each version of Windows. NOW, take into consideration that EVERYONE is moving EVERYTHING online. I, for one, welcome a less bloated Windows, I'll just download the apps that I want to use... and if I don't want Microsoft's apps, I won't need to have them laying around my computer for no good reason. More and more people are dropping Microsoft Office for web apps, more specifically for web apps developed by Google. They're following a trend... a BIG trend.

No matter how much you hate Microsoft and/or think you know more than Microsoft does, you're wrong. Do I need to tell you why? I'm not saying that I know more than they do, or even close to what anyone at Microsoft knows. These are people that dedicate their careers to developing Windows, designing Windows, figuring out what everyone wants from Windows, figuring out where the market is heading, etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
SaT wrote:
for some reason i feel now that 7 will be a new Windows ME

just because MS gave the new OS it's name early, it doesn't mean its going to be bad, would it be different if MS named it "Windows: Lamp Edition" or "Windows Steve", or waited until the day before release before naming it? MS is probably going with "Windows 7" because most people know it by that already

QuiescentWonder wrote:
CAKE FOR EVERYONE!

please?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:45 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Its going to be a new Windows ME because it will not have any new features, but add useless junk which only slow the system

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
Frozenport wrote:
Its going to be a new Windows ME because it will not have any new features, but add useless junk which only slow the system

well, we won't know that till its RTM'd

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:58 am 
Frozenport wrote:

that was my thought on the matter, but Mr QuiescentBlunder up there has this way of
quoting others as being flat-out-idiots whilst he knows it all.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:18 am 
FTP Access

inxsfan92 wrote:
Frozenport wrote:

well, we won't know that till its RTM'd

Exactly. Its not even in beta quite yet, so I think any assumptions at this point would be bad.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
XDude wrote:
They say "Windows 7" is quite stable, hopefully it is actually worth money.

Here is the NT line"
1. 3.1
2. 3.5, 3.51 (minor update)
3. 4.0
4. 5.0 (2000)
5. 5.1 (XP)/5.2 (Server 03) <- group them together, one client, one server version, just numbered differently
6. 6.0 (Vista)
7. 7.0 (7)

That works out, this is the seventh NT client (and server) release from MS.

That would work out, sort of. Except Windows 7, despite it's name, looks like it will remain a minor release and therefore NT6.1.

Also, to everyone that's thinking RTM will be build 7000, it's looking like they'll go well beyond 7000 before RTM.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:47 am 
Donator

Build 7777? 8)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:15 pm 
Donator

Aaah, Good to see it finally has an official name.

___ wrote:
Build 7777? 8)

I'd buy that :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:04 pm 
FTP Access

If Microsoft were to add those features from Longhorn such as WinFS and the cool 3D rendered explorer, and animated logon screen, I would gladly save up and buy 7! :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:16 pm 
squidward_ wrote:
If Microsoft were to add those features from Longhorn such as WinFS and the cool 3D rendered explorer, and animated logon screen, I would gladly save up and buy 7! :D

winfs was cancelled, for ever.
a "3d rendered explorer" would be useless if its not stable and easy to use and an animated logon screen... can you have a more useless feature?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:17 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
squidward_ wrote:

It's interesting to see what are peoples motives to buy an OS..... :?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows
Frozenport wrote:

umm well they are not adding new things, they are deleting things... thats the sad part.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
I like the name Windows 7.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next