BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 16h, 2m | CPU: 69% | MEM: 2598MB of 8095MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 PostPost subject: Hackers Use Nvidia GPUs to Crack WiFi        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:11 pm 
Donator

Just thought this was interesting

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia ... ,6483.html

Most people grumble and complain about the high cost of top end GPUs. Now it appears that these GPUs are cost-effective ways to breach wireless network encryption.

Russian Hackers reportedly broke through WPA and WPA2 encryption using a brute force attack coupled with Nvidia’s GPUs. With no mention of which specific card was used in the discovery, the card supposedly increased password recovery up to 10,000 percent faster. Reports at this time are quite vague on the details, but if the claims hold any water at all, security experts could have a serious issue on their hands.

Commenting on the issue, David Hobson, managing director of Global Secure Systems (GSS) claimed that companies can no longer view standards-based WiFi transmissions as sufficiently secure against eavesdropping to be used with impunity. He also added that the use of VPNs is arguably now mandatory for companies wanting to comply with the Data Protection Act.

The problem here is that most VPNs also use AES encryption which is the same encryption that is employed by WPA2. WPA employs RC4. If this new type of approach at breaching WPA/WPA2 protection actually works with ease, then the majority of VPNs are at risk as well.

Brute force decryption of WPA and WPA2 systems using parallel processing has been on the theoretical possibilities horizon for quite some time now – and presumably employed by relevant government agencies in extreme situations. If tech savvy hackers at home get the chance to tap the power of GPUs for this purpose, a whole can of worms is about to open.

Some companies employ different strategies however. Some industry experts believe that the security focus should not be on the link itself, but rather the points at each end. If you secure your systems and the data sent over the link, then it doesn’t matter what people see in between.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
this is unbeliveable

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:20 am 
Donator

I'd say it's pretty believable. Maybe slightly inflated figures but the jist of it holds up. CUDA is superbly suited to numbercrunching. When I did some benchmarks with my old 9800GTX versus a quadcore running at 3.5ghz the GPU was a few 100% faster.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:55 am 
FTP Access

Not at all surprising. In all reality its exactly what GPU's were designed to do. When I tried the f@h gpu beta client it took me 2 days of 24 hour crunching to catch up to someone who'd been using their PS3 for folding for over a month. I was averaging over 5000 credits/day compared to a few hundred on CPU only, and for H264 encoding 100fps vs @10fps, not sure about that 10,000x claim though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:04 am 
Donator

GPU's are quite powerful in today's world. They are the second most powerest chip in modern computers. So why not put it in use?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Maybe the GPU used were actually GPGPUs?

Wikipedia wrote:
General-purpose computing on graphics processing units

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:05 am 
FTP Access

XDude wrote:
GPU's are quite powerful in today's world. They are the second most powerest chip in modern computers. So why not put it in use?

Depending on what card you have the GPU may be the most powerful chip in your PC. If operating systems were written in a way to take advantage of the parallel processing nature of a GPU then CPU's would be obsolete. For the applications released so far that take advantage of GPU processing, they far exceed those same applications in a CPU only enviroment. If you look at the figures on paper, you'd probably find that even a midrange gpu can out do even a quad core in terms of ops/sec.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:08 am 
Donator

AFAIK, Nvidia GPU's are actually multimedia CPU's is a set of chips including the northbridge for processing memory and southbridge for handling connections. The northbridge works together with the southbridge (also a nvidia chip) to render graphic.
So what chip(s) did the hacker use?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:18 am 
FTP Access

I'll hazzard a guess at the GTX280.

Edit, OK so maybe it was the 8 series.
http://www.elcomsoft.com/edpr.html

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
My 8800GT can crunch through a F@H unit in just two hours. My dual-core E7200, on the other hand, takes about a single day...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:53 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
The trick is to add an oddly named proxy server on your network. They can have the WiFi key, but they will never guess my internet gateway server!

--Did these Russians release any scripts; programs?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:59 pm 
FTP Access

If you'd checked the link I posted you'd see the application is already for sale from their site.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:36 am 
Donator

OG wrote:
If you'd checked the link I posted you'd see the application is already for sale from their site.

And there's also an open source library for cracking WPEA-PSK written in python. Haven't played around with it much but it looks capable. As far as I can see it's been active for atleast 1 1/2 months. Check it out over at http://code.google.com/p/pyrit/

Why this is called news is beyond me, there's been talk about this since CUDA was started.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 am 
FTP Access

OG wrote:

Someone should hack their site and grab the file, then host it on a torrent site.

I think it would be a fitting example of irony.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:08 am 
Donator

ddew wrote:
OG wrote:

And there's also an open source library for cracking WPEA-PSK written in python. Haven't played around with it much but it looks capable. As far as I can see it's been active for atleast 1 1/2 months. Check it out over at http://code.google.com/p/pyrit/

Why this is called news is beyond me, there's been talk about this since CUDA was started.

It's called news because instead of just talking about it, someone has done it... and I thought it was interesting, and obviously so did a bunch of other people.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:22 am 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
ddew wrote:
OG wrote:

It's called news because instead of just talking about it, someone has done it... and I thought it was interesting, and obviously so did a bunch of other people.

I'm not bashing your reporting or anything, I just think tomshardware was a tad slow at reporting this. People have been using CUDA for password cracking for months now. There's even a commercial product for doing so available. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:36 pm 
Donator

Sorry, I've been dealing with and and by some standards doing lot's of bashing lately.

This isn't directed at you specifically, just don't get that idea:
It's making me ask myself why I post here at all. I know I can just find all of this crap that's on here that I would actually want to use somewhere else, it's just a matter of convenience. I'll keep what news I find interesting to myself from now on.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:18 pm 
FTP Access

Ambig wrote:

Someone should hack their site and grab the file, then host it on a torrent site.

I think it would be a fitting example of irony.

Its already been 'warezed'. Its been around since the beginning of the year.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I bet the PS3's cell chip could break through WPA2

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:26 am 
FTP Access

Probably could, but it would take forvever. Question is, why would you want to, its a game's console, not a super computer, and nowhere near as fast as a CUDA enabled GPU at this kind of task.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:05 pm 
I think it's pretty shocking that they can do it by using GPU's, and OG you are right CUDA is really impressive.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 pm 
I wonder if we could use GPUs to do general purpose tasks...

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:26 pm 
FTP Access

CUDA and OpenCL are designed to make exactly that sort of thing possible. Only trouble is that CUDA doesn't work with ATI or Intel, and OpenCL is exclusive to Mac. GPGPU is, at present, a closed platform.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 pm 
FTP Access

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html#

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 pm 
FTP Access

I meant closed as in device/platform specific.

But yes, that link is worthwhile and everybody and their mothers should click it.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next