BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 8h, 26m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 5594MB of 10931MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: AMD presentation talks about Windows 7 in '09        Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:58 pm 
Donator

Source: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15629

Could Microsoft release Windows 7 next year? The rumor mill has been grinding away about the possibility these past few weeks, and AMD has just added fuel to the fire. As PC Watch reports, AMD showed an interesting slide during its presentation at the Cutting Edge IT & Electronics Comprehensive Exhibition (CEATEC) event near Tokyo.

Under the title, "What to Expect in 2009," the AMD slide lists a number of items: the move to 40nm process technology, the arrival of the OpenCL general-purpose GPU API, widespread use of GDDR5 memory, consumer GPGPU applications, "HD+" televisions, and... Windows 7. To be more specific, the slide says "Windows 7 and DirectX 11" on one line.

PC Watch doesn't say much on the subject, so it's not fully clear what AMD was referring to there. Perhaps the firm let slip Microsoft's release schedule, or perhaps it's just talking about getting drivers working with pre-release versions of the OS. Judging by the context, though, it certainly looks like AMD expects Windows 7 to come out next year.

A 2009 launch sounds plausible, too. Microsoft has apparently been cutting fat from the OS by removing apps like Windows Mail, Windows Photo Gallery, and Windows Movie Maker. Also, recent reports have claimed Microsoft's internal calendar sets the Windows 7 "gold" date in early June. According to ZDNet's Ed Bott, Microsoft would have to trim the OS's beta cycle to get it out before next summer, but that schedule "would be downright leisurely compared to the one Microsoft followed for Windows XP, which was launched in October 2001, only 20 months after its predecessor, Windows 2000."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:06 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Too bad they didn't mention the AMD Fusion(CPU and ATI GPU in one chip). It's going to come out in late 2009.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:56 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Too bad they didn't talk about AMD in 2009 :D

I wonder how they justify their OpenCL claims :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
I doubt it'll be released in early June 2009, they normally spend about a year in beta. I'd give it December 2009 at the earliest :).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: win7 in 2009        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
marktuson wrote:
I doubt it'll be released in early June 2009, they normally spend about a year in beta. I'd give it December 2009 at the earliest :).

I am not so sure about that.
Do not forget that 7 will only be a Vista Second Edition. Now compare this to Windows Millennium which was only a Win98 3rd Edition and think of the extremely short beta period of ME.

People must come off their dreams that 7 will be something major.
Think more about Vista as it should have been :wink:

The stability of 6519 made me wonder.. now they say that M3 is even more stable and usable for everyday.. that would justify the thought that 7 is already more or less done regardless of the build-tags. They have to rush it out early to erase the public image of Vista. Do not forget that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
From what I could gather... MICROSOFT says "as early as June"... AMD said "in 2009" which to me means Win7 might come newyears eve, which is still in 2009.

In any case.... I'm thinking of going complete Linux and use WINE to run the few Windows games I need... rest has either a Linux version, or have equivalent or better linux tools available.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:10 am 
Donator

Is everyone forgetting that AMD's slide makes no mention of Win7 in the retail market. There are a few other possibilities. First off Win7 and DX11 in 2009 can simply mean that it's a timeframe for when AMD will have their driver working for it. Second is that they can simply be talking about when Win7 goes gold and ships to OEMs. It's the same thing thing with Vista, it went on sale January 2007 but went gold and was shipped to OEMs in late October 2006. I personally thought that was cutting it a bit short and the epic fail of driver availability supports that, maybe MS is giving the HW manufacturers a longer headstart this time to prepare drivers, OEM-images and get their acts together.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:41 am 
FTP Access

I think it is not a bad idea, which comes windows 7 in 2009.
Because the new Live products are also the name "Version 2009", and similar looking like windows 7 m3.. And windows 7 will don't have applications like mail & photogallerie...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
AmigaOS3.9
From what I could gather... MICROSOFT says "as early as June"... AMD said "in 2009" which to me means Win7 might come newyears eve, which is still in 2009.

In any case.... I'm thinking of going complete Linux and use WINE to run the few Windows games I need... rest has either a Linux version, or have equivalent or better linux tools available.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:40 pm 
Donator

Doctor Mindvipe wrote:

Repeat yourself much? ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:42 pm 
Donator

ddew wrote:
maybe MS is giving the HW manufacturers a longer headstart this time to prepare drivers, OEM-images and get their acts together.

As far as everyone knows, Vista drivers will work in Windows 7. They've made that pretty clear multiple times. They don't want to have that problem again.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:51 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
ddew wrote:
maybe MS is giving the HW manufacturers a longer headstart this time to prepare drivers, OEM-images and get their acts together.

As far as everyone knows, Vista drivers will work in Windows 7. They've made that pretty clear multiple times. They don't want to have that problem again.

For current devices that's probably true, but I'm guessing there's some new trickery involved for things like multi-touch etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 am 
Donator

The difference between XP and Vista that everyone had problems with was the way that drivers interacted with Windows. New hardware doesn't mean a new way for drivers to interact with Windows. While I'm sure there will need to be new drivers for multi-touch hardware, just the same there will need to be new drivers with any new hardware, whether it be graphics adapters, NICs, WiFi, sound, etc, it doesn't matter, the drivers are still going to be interacting with Windows in the same manner as they do in Windows Vista, that's all that matters.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:44 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Vista like 2k
7 like xp

when 2k relaesed,xp were developing

then,xp just relaesed after 2k 22 months.....

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:48 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
harry4567 wrote:
Vista like 2k
7 like xp

when 2k relaesed,xp were developing

then,xp just relaesed after 2k 20 months.....

Fixed.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]