BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 21h, 12m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5550MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Microsoft cuts apps from Windows 7        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 am 
Donator

Source: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/s ... m?feed=rss

Microsoft has decided that Windows 7 won't include built-in programs for e-mail, photo editing, and movie making, as was done with Windows Vista.

The software maker included Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Mail, and Windows Movie Maker as part of Vista, but later chose to offer separate downloadable Windows Live programs that essentially replaced those components with versions that could connect to online services from Microsoft and others.

Microsoft told ZDNet.com.au sister site CNET News late Monday in the US that it had decided to remove those features entirely from Windows 7 and instead offer only the service-connected Windows Live versions as optional free downloads. Earlier on Monday, Microsoft had declined to say how it was handling things.

Windows Vista general manager Brian Hall said Microsoft made the decision to remove the tools from Windows for several reasons, including a desire to issue new operating system releases more quickly than it has in the past. The move also removes the confusion of offering and supporting two different programs that perform essentially similar functions. "It makes it much cleaner," Hall said.

Lastly, he said, making the Windows Live tools completely separate from the operating system paves the way for Microsoft to work selectively with specific partners.

"We can do things with specific partners to enable really great experiences that might be hard in Windows," Hall said.

Antitrust rules make it hard for Microsoft to tie operating system features to specific services.

Microsoft last week rolled out the latest "Wave 3" releases of its Windows Live programs, adding Windows Live Movie Maker to the mix of programs, which includes Windows Live Photo Gallery and Windows Live Mail as well as blogging tool Windows Live Writer and instant messaging program Windows Live Messenger.

While Windows XP and earlier releases had an instant messaging program built in, Microsoft took out that feature in Windows Vista.

Hall said it was too soon to say if the "Wave 4" release would precede Windows 7 or be coincident to it. Microsoft has said it will have Windows 7 on the market by January 2010, while CEO Steve Ballmer has said he is pushing for a release next year.

"We'll do Wave 3 and then we'll figure it out," Hall said.

It remains to be seen just how Microsoft will distribute the Windows Live programs in conjunction with Windows 7-based PCs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
is microsoft just trying to hand the desktop os market to mac and linux? who wants a desktop os that doesnt have a email client?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:54 am 
Donator

betaluva wrote:
is microsoft just trying to hand the desktop os market to mac and linux? who wants a desktop os that doesnt have a email client?

They're still offering one, it just won't ship with Windows. My guess would be that it will ship with a link to the installer, or some simple way to install it. Besides, what home user wants an email client? Most just use web based email services. Honestly, I'm glad they're not bundling the crap that I don't use anyway, and that they are bundling things I will use, like PowerShell.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:34 am 
Donator

It's just that other stupid osftware creater complain too much and threaten to sue MS all the time.
The EU was a clean desktop without all these program, Real doesn't like WMP, and etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows Vista x64 SP1
Well that's what they wanted and they made the "N" versions of Vista, but I've never seen them on sale in the UK as we still had the full versions available. Also Home Premium/Ultimate need Media Player for Media Center so if I remember correctly "N" versions were never made for those editions.

In Vista it's already a link for Windows Live Messenger Download on the start menu so I guess that would be somewhat similar in Windows 7 or pop-ups on first boot asking if you want them. I personally would only want the Messenger anyway.

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit, AMD Phenom 9950BE OC to 3.01GHz, 8GB OCZ Platinum 1066MHz, 1TB HDD, BFG nVidia GeForce GTX 285 OC 1GB, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition Champion Series

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:52 pm 
Permanently Banned

With removing all these features, what's the status on the edtions? Are they still going to have some 7 odd editions or did too many people get "Loose a Turn" on Choose a Vista.

Microsoft could return to what they did in Win95-98 and have a ValueAdd or CD Sampler type thing on the disc. It's tried and true and new users and new installs would have all the stuff right on the disc to decide to install or not. Just because it's an old method doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

Also, the fact that Microsoft is realising that people don't always use a WL Space, but usuallly have other services to provide blogs and photos, is a good move. Windows Writer is very nice and does it's job very well. It works flawless on Blogger and WordPress which made me keep it around. If Microsoft allowed their Photo Gallery to work with Picasa and Flickr, it would be instant win.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:28 pm 
Donator

That's a good point. I wish they would ask what to install during Windows Setup.

They also made N versions of Windows XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
QuiescentWonder wrote:
That's a good point. I wish they would ask what to install during Windows Setup.

same here i use the email-client and the Windows Photo Gallery

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 am 
Donator

I think they should have the installers on the dvd, but users have to download it manually makes more sense than having to download it themself and waste bandwidth. Not everyone has high speed internet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: ...        Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:11 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Win 10 64-bit
Sorry but would anyone care to tell me what an "N" Version is please?
God im stupid...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ...        Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:13 pm 
Donator

mattarnster wrote:
Sorry but would anyone care to tell me what an "N" Version is please?
God im stupid...

It's an edition that ships without Windows Media bundled.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:16 pm 
Donator

I also would like to see the live installers integrated into the OS install or more likely the OOBE. Then it would download the most up to date versions of all Live apps that are selected by the user.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:40 pm 
Donator

Though I've read that a lot of people got sick of this, but I think that they should bring back that Typical, Compact, Minimal and Custom settings. Or at least just the typical and the custom installs. I didn't mind those and at least it gave me a chance to choose what kind of extras it was installing.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]