BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 55d, 17h, 19m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5780MB of 10687MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Adobe releases Creative Suite 4 Details        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:01 am 
Donator

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-100 ... bj=Webware

Adobe released details Monday about Creative Suite 4, its first update to more than a dozen design and editing tools since Adobe CS3 some 17 months ago.

The costs of the applications, set to reach consumers in October, haven't changed since CS3, but remain hefty. Should long-time users upgrade?

Of course, that depends upon the specific tools you need. However, we suspect that only the most well-heeled will jump at the chance, as CS4 shares the majority of tools with its predecessor. Perhaps more dramatic, life-changing alterations will come with the next Creative Suite. That said, time-saving tweaks to Illustrator and Flash in particular could lure professionals immersed in them to upgrade.

With CS4, Adobe aimed to unify the interfaces of more than a dozen applications, including Flash and other former properties of Macromedia. You'll see similar pull down menus for toggling among workspaces that you can customize, as well as Flash-based panels that nicely snap open and shut. Corporate design departments will find plenty of enhancements for their teams to share work more quickly.

Adobe continues to improve integration among the applications. After Effects, as only one example, can import Photoshop 3D layers and export content directly into Flash.

Options for working with high-definition video and mobile content expand too, with support for the latest formats as well as for making Adobe AIR applications. Among other highlights:

Photoshop CS4 will use your computer's graphics chip for the first time, while offering support for 64-bit Windows.

At long last, you can handle more than one project at a time in Illustrator, thanks to the new multiple Artboards feature.

Flash CS4 has a rebuilt animation model, so you can make objects move on the stage in two quick steps. And Flash introduces a new, XML-based file format.

Dreamweaver provides plenty of shortcuts to CSS coding, including within the Properties panel.

We've been toying with the beta code of CS4 for several weeks. Check out our first take reviews and videos of the six suites and their individual applications for more details. We'll report back with rated reviews after working with the final code.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Yay! I loved CS3, and hopefully CS4 will be even better.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:05 pm 
already tried adobe photoshop cs4.. it is so much better.. faster than cs3.. and there are many improvements to the Bridge..

but the most significant changes i notice is the GPU support.. i can now rotate and zoom my photo much faster and smoother..

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6.3 :D
Adobe CS4 products are now available as downloads on the Adobe site.
Need x64 support for mac.

(I now know Photoshop CS4 was really codenamed Stonehenge and not a hoax)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
ajdesign419 wrote:

Interesting decision by Adobe there, to only support x64 on Windows.

Signals a change prehaps?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:51 pm 
FTP Access

hounsell wrote:
ajdesign419 wrote:

Interesting decision by Adobe there, to only support x64 on Windows.

Signals a change prehaps?

Well. I think we might soon start the real x64 change leaving behind x86...
I don't think it'd be a quick change, yet, it might be starting now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/
New mac 10.6 to be 64-bit so adobe may want to change soon.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
ajdesign419 wrote:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/
New mac 10.6 to be 64-bit so adobe may want to change soon.

OSX has had x64 from the move to Intel Processors I believe, so I doubt it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:57 pm 
FTP Access

The Mac version is not x64 yet because Apple are not supporting 64-bit on Carbon, which is what the large pieces of Mac software that have been around for a long time (pre-OS X) are made in as it was also supported in OS 9 - Adobe have to convert CS to Cocoa (OS X-only) in order to get it 64-bit, which will take them a long time and so they said they won't be ready until CS5.

The PowerPC G5 is also a 64-bit processor, by the way, while the Core Duo of the original Intel Macs was not, but OS X is not like Windows where you need to choose between x86 and x64, all of the code (PPC/AltiVec 32-bit, PPC/AltiVec 64-bit, Intel 32-bit, Intel 64-bit) is in one edition and it will run according to what CPU your machine has (you can usually even swap the hard drive from a 32-bit PPC G4 into a 64-bit Intel, for instance, and the OS will still work without needing to be reinstalled, as long as you clear the extension cache etc).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:27 pm 
Administrator

Yep, exactly. Snow Leopard will drop all that support and retain only the Intel code. It will also, as said earlier in the thread, be fully 64bit. A little fact today that it's not fully 64bit is that OS X actually uses PAE when dealing with RAM above 3GB. Snow Leopard is said to fix it. Since the PPC support will be dropped the files will also be significantly smaller, and that alone will speed up the OS a lot. And since all current Intel processors in the Core 2 family is 64bit there is no reason to keep the 32bit support either. If I remember correctly only the first gen Core family was non-64bit, I think Mac Mini used it.

In any case Snow Leopard will be quite a leap in performance and stability when the Apple folks and developers don't need to rely on making both PPC and Intel x86/x64 code.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 pm 
FTP Access

I think Snowy will still run on 32-bit Intel CPUs, which the first-gen Intel MacBook, iMac, and Mac Mini all had, but Snowy will be more 64-bit than Leopard, which in turn was more 64-bit than Tiger - there is a very good explanation of it all here.

As far as I know it hasn't been confirmed whether or not Snowy will include PPC support, just the first developer seed was Intel only so that was an indication that the final product may too - it'll be a very sad day indeed when Snow Leopard is released though if it cannot be run on any PowerPC Mac :( I don't think having both sets of code in there makes a lot of difference apart from keeping all those great machines alive, it is said to only add about 10% to the size of everything (not half, as commonly believed) and shouldn't really affect stability etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:27 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I think Snowy will still run on 32-bit Intel CPUs, which the first-gen Intel MacBook, iMac, and Mac Mini all had, but Snowy will be more 64-bit than Leopard, which in turn was more 64-bit than Tiger - there is a very good explanation of it all here.

As far as I know it hasn't been confirmed whether or not Snowy will include PPC support, just the first developer seed was Intel only so that was an indication that the final product may too - it'll be a very sad day indeed when Snow Leopard is released though if it cannot be run on any PowerPC Mac :( I don't think having both sets of code in there makes a lot of difference apart from keeping all those great machines alive, it is said to only add about 10% to the size of everything (not half, as commonly believed) and shouldn't really affect stability etc.

Well, but AFAIK Apple dropping PPC processors is decided and definitive. I think it's a good decision since it's more troublesome to have various platforms, specially for a system as the Mac OS.
Anyway, I think only time will tell what will happen with our nice macs!
:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Chicago wrote:
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:

Well, but AFAIK Apple dropping PPC processors is decided and definitive. I think it's a good decision since it's more troublesome to have various platforms, specially for a system as the Mac OS.
Anyway, I think only time will tell what will happen with our nice macs!
:)

Who knows, they may need to redefine "universal app" since the switch to cocoa.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]