BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 7h, 57m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5521MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Windows 7 M3 Build 6780 Pictures        Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:37 pm 
FTP Access

Not much of a story here, but some exciting screenshots!

Source: http://www.thinknext.net/archives/2268

Start Menu: the visual design of search box and shutdown/lock buttons are changed. The right panel is simplified.

What programs are installed?

Accessories

Calculator

User Account Control appeared only once during my experience. When I clicked SnagIt installer UAC popped up. That’s very nice to see Microsoft has decided to restrain UAC.

Obviously the Welcome is a draft. Don’t make it wrong, the SKUs (Ultimate, Home Basic etc.) have not been finalized. The strings are just inherited from Vista.

Yes, the UI: Ribbon! First introduced in Office 2007 and now we can see it in Windows 7 Paint and WordPad. No Notepad isn’t in Ribbon style.

My Computer:
Check the left panel. Libraries is the My Documents equalvent in Windows 7.

Toolbar reorganized:

New Control Panel items:
Systray icon settings:

Context menu on Desktop

Setup your monitor

Gadget: looks same as in Vista

Games: first startup

Internet Explorer 8: Welcome

Web Slice

Some integrated services found in Page menu

Safety

Tools

Compatibility mode

Open a new tab

Light Windows Media Player?

This is the full Windows Media Player

Power Shell

Last edited by Saarineames on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:34 am 
Donator

Nice screens. I don't really see a compelling reason to want to upgrade from Vista yet, though.

<incrediblywishfulthinking>It'd be nice if MS gave all Vista users a free upgrade to the respective (assuming 7 comes in the same editions as Vista) version of 7 for free, as well as immediately discontinuing selling Vista, and going right to 7. I think it would really help their image and win back a lot of people who are frustrated with how Vista has turned out.</incrediblywishfulthinking>

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Resplendent wrote:
Nice screens. I don't really see a compelling reason to want to upgrade from Vista yet, though.

<incrediblywishfulthinking>It'd be nice if MS gave all Vista users a free upgrade to the respective (assuming 7 comes in the same editions as Vista) version of 7 for free, as well as immediately discontinuing selling Vista, and going right to 7. I think it would really help their image and win back a lot of people who are frustrated with how Vista has turned out.</incrediblywishfulthinking>

I remember the time where you could get Windows Vista for free. Too bad I didn't qualify and all you got was Vista Basic

Anyway, they renamed the Windows Health Center to the Windows Solution center?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:17 am 
Donator

Yeah, I wonder if their notifications system is any different in M3...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:28 am 
Donator

Just UI changes and implantation of powershell. If it's stable and out perform vista, they a upgrade is good, but if it's like vista with a different UI, I wouldn't brother.
Hopefully they offer vista users a discout when upgrading since there isn't major changes in the OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:35 am 
FTP Access

Nice Windows Media Player. Is it still version 11 or its now 12?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
XDude: I believe that it has a smaller RAM footprint than Vista. I have it running in 384MB and it works quite as comfortably as I've had anything run in VPC. If I can get the M1 release to work on my desktop machine (native), I'll let you know. At the moment, though, it ain't happening, because I haven't got a DVD drive.

I definitely intend to beta-test this though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:40 pm 
Donator

performance is very hard to estimate with different windows builds

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:37 pm 
FTP Access

Some videos appeared:

http://www.thinknext.net/archives/2273
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkeWFSkRVGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubxErqnQ5R8

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Is it leaked? Or will it be given somewhere around the PDC?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS Classic
i hope this leaks, and i hope it easier to crack, because im thinking possible default OS for awhile

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:50 pm 
Permanently Banned

The only way I'd ever upgrade to 7 is if they included an IRC client in the default install. And not one that follows some ridiculous RFC that no other ircd's use expect for a few crappy ones written in VB.

Microsoft, if your reading this, support for CAP is required and IAL is always nice.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:06 am 
FTP Access

There was barely a reason to upgrade from XP to Vista...why would there be a reason to upgrade to this? Still looks way too much like Vista, and almost no new features...not thank you.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Barely a reason, except the difference of 6 years' worth of drivers, and new API calls that would allow better software to be written?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:13 pm 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:
The only way I'd ever upgrade to 7 is if they included an IRC client in the default install. And not one that follows some ridiculous RFC that no other ircd's use expect for a few crappy ones written in VB.

Microsoft, if your reading this, support for CAP is required and IAL is always nice.

ROFL. Why should they include an irc client? Its not like there's a shortage of them. Hell why not moan because there's no MS bittorrent client while your at it. They dont even seem interested in making Messenger cross platform nevermind irc as part of the OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:07 pm 
Permanently Banned

OG wrote:
Zimmy wrote:

ROFL. Why should they include an irc client? Its not like there's a shortage of them. Hell why not moan because there's no MS bittorrent client while your at it. They dont even seem interested in making Messenger cross platform nevermind irc as part of the OS.

They should include one because I hate having to download one right after i install. Plus with mIRC being a truck of fail and XChat 2 being extremely crash-prone on windows (using silverex builds, I would not give a dime to that GPL voliating Zed), Hydra lacking features and the rest costing money, they could have a really good opportunity to create a decent client.

Then again I could make an unattended install and have them all installed afterwords but that's effort. And a lot of people like to avoid effort lately so I will join in that.

As for messenger being cross platform, they do release a MacOS client but it lacks webcam if i recall correctly, but then again for most normal people, like me, you rly don't need it, as you call them up, meet them in person, or lead them to a URL of your nude pix. Regarding any platform, alternitive clients such as Trillian (win), Adium (mac), or pidgin (X) works loads better than regular msnm, minus the bloat (but less bloat is good, because people with annoying bbcode in their titles and the people who love to send those EXTREMELY RETARDED winks and nudges, are totally retarded and should die a slow painful death).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Any idea on when we might see a leak ?        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
As the subject said, any idea on when we might see a leak ? (hopefully before PDC)

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:59 pm 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:
They should include one because I hate having to download one right after i install. Plus with mIRC being a truck of fail and XChat 2 being extremely crash-prone on windows (using silverex builds, I would not give a dime to that GPL voliating Zed), Hydra lacking features and the rest costing money, they could have a really good opportunity to create a decent client.

I think Messenger shows you just how their IRC client would turn out if they had any interest in such an app (bland with basic functionality and propriatary scripting no one would bother with ala Trillian IRC) . IMO Messenger should be more like Trillian, in as far as networks support, not just limited to the MSN and Yahoo networks. Why is Mirc fail? It is probably the most popular irc client and its also the most developed in terms of scripting. I doubt MS would come anywhere near producing as capable an irc client than those that already exist. They should concentrate more on getting the simple things right like proper intergrated FTP support than support for an ancient chatroom protocol really only frequented by geeks. The public at large probably have no idea what IRC is and even if they did would have no interest in using it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:43 pm 
Permanently Banned

mIRC fails (at least in my usage studies) heavily when interacting with TSora ircd's. Now seeing how you are indeed, a moderator on ISOhunt my only guess is that your used to that crap orignally written by a 15 year old with a clue, but later forked by 40 year old virgins without a clue, known as unreal, which is percicely what mIRC targets, and scripting to a better degree. I have noticed when I use mIRC that the ratbox networks and the charybdis networks I connect to, and hyperion to a lesser degree, spit out [censored] to the client and mIRC pretty much goes OMG WTF HOW DID THIS GET TO ME I AM NOT GOOD WITH IRC!! and disconnects for no good reason. I've also tried out some prebuilt scripts and it's nothing but crap you would find from people with vhosts on domains such as 1337-script-kiddies.com It looks and completely acts retarded and everytime I see that wierdly formatted invision logo on messages on networks I have oper on, I have a huge urge to set a k:line, and some of the time I do.

Going back to scripting, irssi has better scripting capabilities. Perl! yeah, it's a crappy langauge but compared to mIRCscript it's far better, more logical, and I can create better scripts and bots that can do cooler things with a .pl script loaded in irssi rather than start coding some mIRC script, and later find out I can't do what i want in mirc alone so I need to write a DDE library to hook onto (which btw, is ever so win3.1).

I also have the brilliant idea that microsoft, if they made an irc client, could use a .NET/PowerShell style language for scripting, which would be ultra-win.

Either way, i know what I want, and I don't think someone who is active in most ircd's development needs to explain it to someone who sits in their room pirating a ton of crap instead of going to work a job.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:04 pm 
FTP Access

Zimmy wrote:
Either way, i know what I want, and I don't think someone who is active in most ircd's development needs to explain it to someone who sits in their room pirating a ton of crap instead of going to work a job.

First of all I'm an administrator, not a moderator. Second, I have a job, and a well paying one at that. Third, I take offence to your assertion that everyone who has anything to do with bittorrent is a jobless freeloader. Your smallminded ignorance is typical, so I'm hardly surprised by your comments. And rather than be banned for stooping to the level of an obvious troll, I'll leave the thread.

Edit: BA also provides access to material that infringes copyright, just because software is beta does not nullify copyright law, at least where US an UK copyright law is concerned (abandonware and public domain is another matter). Unless the admin of BA has express permission from Microsoft for example, they have no legal right to distribute any intelectual propert belonging to Microsoft, including beta software nor any of this sites users to download it as they are not subject to the EULA of those works and were not the intenteded end user. If you want to get anal, the use of any MS logo, like in a forum sig, is a trademark infringement expressly forbidden under the rules governing trademarks. So while you may think you're ritious by pointing out the use of bittorrent as a means for piracy, this site is no better, and you no better or worse that any user on bittorrent who uses that also as a means to infringe copyright.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]